Another series of lows and Storm Dennis

matty40s

Featured Posts

52 minutes ago, Richard T said:

Boat beached at Trent Lock. I could see that this was going to happen from the train the other day. It will be difficult to refloat as crane access is very limited and on saturated fields

Trent lock.jpg

That'll make it difficult for the cyclists !

I see one has already tried to carry his / her bike over the top.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Richard T said:

Boat beached at Trent Lock. I could see that this was going to happen from the train the other day. It will be difficult to refloat as crane access is very limited and on saturated fields

Trent lock.jpg

That looks very similar to the boat that was moored there last summer....it may have course of moved and come back...

26 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Looks like a relatively new boat. I wonder if it’s a new boater who simply didn’t anticipate the conditions?

Possibly, or anyone can get caught unawares and get unlucky.  Either way, it's a shame but the up-side is that the boat did not sink so hopefully the inside is OK and although tricky perhaps to get back in the water once it is perhaps it will all be OK.

Edited by churchward
  • Greenie 1

20 hours ago, frangar said:

That looks very similar to the boat that was moored there last summer....it may have course of moved and come back...

Are you alleginging it is one of those "Schrodinger boats"?

A Schrodinger Boat is a boat that is always there when you look at it, but the instant you look away, it goes off cruising.

Then when you look back again, you find it returned from it's cruise to the exact same place, facing the same way, the last possible instant before you looked back.

• Haha 3

49 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

A Schrodinger Boat is a boat that is always there when you look at it, but the instant you look away, it goes off cruising.

Then when you look back again, you find it returned from it's cruise to the exact same place, facing the same way, the last possible instant before you looked back.

But does said boat have a cat, and if so is it dead or alive.

58 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

You can tell if it’s one of those...it has an NBTA sticker in the window.....

• Greenie 1

This is the Severn valley just to the south of Welshpool and centres on Welshpool Airport this afternoon. Unfortunately the small unit just by the road at the entrance is the regional centre and hanger for our Air Ambulance. The Severn is just out of frame at the bottom of the picture and the canal is just to the top of the picture.
SqOzvkP.jpg

11 minutes ago, Graham Davis said:

This is the Severn valley just to the south of Welshpool and centres on Welshpool Airport this afternoon. Unfortunately the small unit just by the road at the entrance is the regional centre and hanger for our Air Ambulance. The Severn is just out of frame at the bottom of the picture and the canal is just to the top of the picture.
SqOzvkP.jpg

Bloody hell Graham that's not good mate

Thanks.
Thankfully we live further upstream and higher up. 
I have never known the flooding to reach the airport before. I know they flew the Air Ambulance out in time but I wonder what has happened to the rest of the aircraft kept there. The 2 big hangers are normally full.
They are already closing down the centre of Shrewsbury and have the highest "risk of death" warning for the rest of the Severn. Tomorrow is going to be a bad day for many people.

A member of this forum looked at buying a house by the canal at the top of the picture.

Edited by Graham Davis

53 minutes ago, Graham Davis said:

Thanks.
Thankfully we live further upstream and higher up. 
I have never known the flooding to reach the airport before. I know they flew the Air Ambulance out in time but I wonder what has happened to the rest of the aircraft kept there. The 2 big hangers are normally full.
They are already closing down the centre of Shrewsbury and have the highest "risk of death" warning for the rest of the Severn. Tomorrow is going to be a bad day for many people.

A member of this forum looked at buying a house by the canal at the top of the picture.

I have watched it on the news and truthfully don't know what can be done to help now, but in the future dredging on a big scale might help 

10 minutes ago, peterboat said:

I have watched it on the news and truthfully don't know what can be done to help now, but in the future dredging on a big scale might help 

I thought we’d already established that dredging would be of no use whatsoever? All it would achieve is to make the river deeper. 

Besides - look at all that water. How many hundreds of feet deep would you need to dredge to hold all that lot?

There has been a paper published (will try to find it) that suggests that unless you can dredge the whole river, all the way to the sea it does little, and could actually make the situation worse>
These for a start.
https://www.sepa.org.uk/media/147022/floods_dredging_and_river_changes.pdf

https://www.ciwem.org/policy-reports/floods-and-dredging-a-reality-check