Another series of lows and Storm Dennis

matty40s

Featured Posts

19 minutes ago, matty40s said:

There were 3 boats there on Saturday lunch time!!!

When I took this picture I had just ridden through Watermead park.

Didn't think it could be that bad, the water was almost over the top of my bike wheels.

This was our boat this morning. Its moored with rings on scaffold poles. The walkway by the boat is under about a foot of water. The normal level is usually 3ft below it.  Photo was taken by teh boatyard. From GaugeMap the Soar rose to about 50mm below the November 2012 levels.

tyto.jpg

The Witham / Foss ditch topped and Brayford flooded today

0_MLL_HMB_170220BrayfordFlooding2.jpg

Flood wall over-topped

0_MLL_HMB_170220BrayfordFlooding3.jpg

0_MLL_HMB_170220BrayfordFlooding1.jpg

"We expect the river to remain high throughout the next few days. Our forecasts indicate that flooding to properties isn't likely and therefore flood warnings are not expected to be issued at this time.

"Please avoid using low lying footpaths near local watercourses and plan driving routes to avoid low lying roads near rivers, which may be flooded. We are constantly monitoring river levels, and have staff in the field checking for blockages and clearing weedscreens."

Edited by Alan de Enfield

Extensive flooding along the Staffs and Worcs around Kinver yesterday. River Stour level rose so high it overtopped into the canal at Gothersley and Gibraltar. The garden was 2 foot deep at Hyde Lock and we had about 10 inches of water in the conservatory and several inches across the rest of the ground floor. Could have been a lost worse but we now have things like a chainsaw and Honda generator which were fully submerged and the list is growing. All boats along the Kinver stretch seem to have been OK with people checking and slackening lines on neighbours boats during the event. 

Edited by jonesthenuke
Typo

28 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

Banbury lock still closed, or should  I say open. Water over the top gate and lower paddles open. Tim, it’s coming your way.

It's hot and sunny here with a light breeze. Levels are very low so we are hoping not to be sat on the bottom tomorrow. Not seen rain for weeks, it's needed for the garden. 

5 More flood warnings issued yesterday for the Trent around Newark.

Red flood warnings in place around Newark. Photo: Environment Agency (29416812)

The Environment Agency has issued five red flood warning for areas around Newark and Farndon this morning (Monday).

Areas put on high alert for flooding are the River Trent at the British Sugar factory and Kelham Bridge, riverside properties in Farndon including Dorner Avenue and Wyke and Marsh Lane area, Tolney Lane in Newark, and River Trent at Fiskerton Mill including Rolleston Fields, Gorse and Nurseries area.

This is due to rising river levels at the Colwick and Farndon river gauges.

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

5 More flood warnings issued yesterday for the Trent around Newark.

Red flood warnings in place around Newark. Photo: Environment Agency (29416812)

The Environment Agency has issued five red flood warning for areas around Newark and Farndon this morning (Monday).

Areas put on high alert for flooding are the River Trent at the British Sugar factory and Kelham Bridge, riverside properties in Farndon including Dorner Avenue and Wyke and Marsh Lane area, Tolney Lane in Newark, and River Trent at Fiskerton Mill including Rolleston Fields, Gorse and Nurseries area.

This is due to rising river levels at the Colwick and Farndon river gauges.

I hope Selby Michael is tied up well !

13 minutes ago, Alway Swilby said:

I hope Selby Michael is tied up well !

Selby Michael was nowhere to be seen when we were at Hazelford Lock at the weekend.

It wasn't on the "temporary" mooring below the lock and it wasn't on the wharf above the weir.

12 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

Not much rise left on those pontoon poles!

I bet all those on the outside of the Pontoons at Bleasby are 'bricking it' - there was enough trees getting washed down in normal conditions I bet its not pleasant at the moment.

Didn't you look at a mooring there ?

12 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I bet all those on the outside of the Pontoons at Bleasby are 'bricking it' - there was enough trees getting washed down in normal conditions I bet its not pleasant at the moment.

Didn't you look at a mooring there ?

We did have a mooring sorted for the outside of the pontoon. Had to turn it down due to the horses and livestock in the field next to the boat  due to Syd's chasing instincts!!

Water is difficult stuff. Have just been down to Ironbridge and the river is v. high, I have actually seen it higher by a foot or so but I don't think there were defences then. Nowadays though we have very effective aluminium barriers that really do work. But, (there's always a but) The surface of the road on the dry side of the barriers is under heavy pressure and appears to be buckling, possibly due to hundreds of years worth of old pipes and culverts under the road that used to discharge into the river. The houses along the wharfage have been evacuated. If the barriers give way it will be like a bomb hitting the houses. There is a limit to how much water it is possible to keep back so just making the defences higher is not always an option.