Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Parahandy

Can An Old Dog Learn New Tricks ?

Featured Posts

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7993037/Kelvin-Fletcher-Oti-Mabuse-seen-enjoying-TWO-late-night-hotel-rendezvous.html

Coming from a tough Council Estate Oop North , we simply never encountered Ballroom Dancing , later of course there was the occasional Disco or Club but if you were looking to find a relationship these sort of places could be a bit hit and miss . I remember once working away from home in Newcastle and meeting a Femme Fatale on a Boat which doubled as a Nightclub moored on the Tyne , I ended up getting a Taxi back to her House where the relationship was consummated and we duly fell asleep . Next morning as I came to I became aware of the biggest pair of Pit Boots I had ever seen parked under a nearby Dressing Table , these Boots were so big they must have belonged to a Giant and I couldn't take my eyes off them . I nudged her awake and inquired who they belonged to . " Dinny wurry Pet , he been awa on the Rigs an he's no due back tae fower o'clock . " I got to my Feet got dressed and quickly shot out the Door , it was snowing outside and it looked as if I had woken up in a War zone , smashed windows and graffiti stained walls , scrapped ice cream vans on three wheels in someones front garden , these were the days before Mobile Phones and of course the Call Box had been wrecked by some Geordie desperate for cash . For some reason I couldn't get the idea out of my head that I would be lynched on account of my flowery shirt and winkle picker shoes . It took me two hours to get back to the Hotel and I later found out I had just visited Byker . These are the sort of scraps a man can get into when he goes in search of Female Company .

I didn't realise it then but I now believe I was perhaps wasting my time and I should simply have taken up Dancing , there are some mediocre Blokes attracting some serious looking women and what man wouldn't want to be a part of that . I suppose the question is have I left it too late , can an old dog learn new tricks ? 😀

Just now, Mike Tee said:

yes an old dog can learn new tricks, but is unlikely to be doing them for long🤣

Im in Simpson Mike and its very quiet .

Lol. As a boy of 18 I joined the RN. What a life education in an instant. I have woken up in similar circumstance severial times in some of the roughest places known to man both in the UK and some countries I would no longer dare visit lol. Great innitt 😊

Edited by mrsmelly

6 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

Lol. As a boy of 18 I joined the RN. What a life education in an instant. I have woken up in similar circumstance severial times in some of the roughest places known to man both in the UK and some countries I would no longer dare visit lol. Great innitt 😊

You Navy Boys have always been a Breed Apart , I remember as a young lad in the Sixties doing a School Project on the Worlds Great Ports . There was an old Merchant Seaman who lived locally and my Father inevitably said ask " ask Jimmy he was in the Merchant Navy ". As it turned out apart from the best Red Light Areas Jimmy after 30 years at Sea knew less than I did .

3 hours ago, Parahandy said:

You Navy Boys have always been a Breed Apart , I remember as a young lad in the Sixties doing a School Project on the Worlds Great Ports . There was an old Merchant Seaman who lived locally and my Father inevitably said ask " ask Jimmy he was in the Merchant Navy ". As it turned out apart from the best Red Light Areas Jimmy after 30 years at Sea knew less than I did .

What else is there to know other than Red light districts. The gut in Malta was awesome. I even know its proper name which is funny. Its closed down know but the street was

Strait Street 😂

1 hour ago, mrsmelly said:

What else is there to know other than Red light districts. The gut in Malta was awesome. I even know its proper name which is funny. Its closed down know but the street was

Strait Street 😂

Preston Bar in 1970 - both the British and American's had warships in port - there was some blood spilt!!! We'd fly over from Libya, go on a 24 hour bender and fly back ready for another few dry months.

We were taught ballroom dancing at Junior school by a Miss Elster. She was was a looker too but about 3ft taller than me which made it awkward. We also did needlework and I still like sewing, darning socks and stitching up holes in pants and things. My trousers are baggy, some say they have more ballroom than the Lyceum.

1 hour ago, Mike Tee said:

Preston Bar in 1970 - both the British and American's had warships in port - there was some blood spilt!!! We'd fly over from Libya, go on a 24 hour bender and fly back ready for another few dry months.

I went on the Nimitz for an afternoon once whilst on excersise with her. Plenty of coca cola machines but no beer. Unlike us they were dry ships, alcohol not allowed 😳

1 hour ago, mrsmelly said:

I went on the Nimitz for an afternoon once whilst on excersise with her. Plenty of coca cola machines but no beer. Unlike us they were dry ships, alcohol not allowed 😳

I'm just glad the airbase at Whellus wasn't dry - we used to get the odd quart of alcohol smuggled out!

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Parahandy said:

Any of you boys get anywhere near Nigeria , a Merchant Seaman told me Lagos is lively 😀

Nope but Mombasa was fun. 

34 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Nope but Mombasa was fun. 

Isn't that rather like saying you have never been to Lisbon, but Sebastopol was fun?

5 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

Isn't that rather like saying you have never been to Lisbon, but Sebastopol was fun?

Naah sebastopol and Lisbon are not on the same land mass innitt. Mombasa is awesome or it was. 

Just now, mrsmelly said:

Naah sebastopol and Lisbon are not on the same land mass innitt. Mombasa is awesome or it was. 

🤣 🤣

Have you looked at a map of Europe. the Med. and the Black Sea recently? Sebastopol and Lisbon are actually a lot closer together than Mombasa and Lagos.

The difference in latitude is about the same though.

3 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Dad was merchant for a while and I remember him talking about the Saint Laurence seaway and Montreal.

I visited a few years ago and realised quite why he remembered that bit of Montreal so fondly ;)

🤣 🤣

Have you looked at a map of Europe. the Med. and the Black Sea recently? Sebastopol and Lisbon are actually a lot closer together than Mombasa and Lagos.

The difference in latitude is about the same though.

Sebastopol is in Wales and Lisbon is on the European continent, very different. 

Sebastopol is in Ukraine ... the Welsh one was named after it. Ditto the one in California.

My point about Mombasa and Lagos remains: two different cities, a long way apart, two different cultures ...

Sebastopol is in Ukraine ... the Welsh one was named after it. Ditto the one in California.

My point about Mombasa and Lagos remains: two different cities, a long way apart, two different cultures ...

Do much dancing Ian ? 😀

16 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

Ahh so you are referring to a Johnny foreigner Sebastopol. I thought you meant the UK. Anyway I didn't think we were different cultures? I thought it was like the eu where everyone is the same 😎

2 hours ago, Parahandy said:

Any of you boys get anywhere near Nigeria , a Merchant Seaman told me Lagos is lively 😀

Only overnight stay in Lagos in and out, on the way to Port Harcourt early 1971. Lagos was just a busy, large, dirty city where it was easy to get ripped off if not careful - Port Harcourt, well the Biafran war had only ended the previous year, and it was an eye opener for all the wrong reasons. Only there for about 4 months, but the highlight of the visit was the cholera epidemic. Not a trip I look back on with many fond thoughts.

2 hours ago, Mike Tee said:

Only overnight stay in Lagos in and out, on the way to Port Harcourt early 1971. Lagos was just a busy, large, dirty city where it was easy to get ripped off if not careful - Port Harcourt, well the Biafran war had only ended the previous year, and it was an eye opener for all the wrong reasons. Only there for about 4 months, but the highlight of the visit was the cholera epidemic. Not a trip I look back on with many fond thoughts.

Thats fascinating Mike . Paul McCartney recorded Band On The Run out there .

2 hours ago, Parahandy said:

Do much dancing Ian ? 😀

I prefer to provide the music.

2 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

Ahh so you are referring to a Johnny foreigner Sebastopol. I thought you meant the UK. Anyway I didn't think we were different cultures? I thought it was like the eu where everyone is the same 😎

Ukraine isn't in the EU.

• Happy 1