living on a grp

markc

Featured Posts

2 minutes ago, markc said:

does anyone live on a grp boat or know someone that lives on one without 240v?

Why would you want a boat without 230v ?

You don't have to have a shore-line to have 230v.

When we are NOT connected and are just cruising we still use the 230v freezer, the 230v vacuum cleaner, 230v Microwave etc.

Yes we are a GRP boat.

18 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Why would you want a boat without 230v ?

You don't have to have a shore-line to have 230v.

When we are NOT connected and are just cruising we still use the 230v freezer, the 230v vacuum cleaner, 230v Microwave etc.

Yes we are a GRP boat.

sorry 230v!  im just thinking of heating, etc  

23 minutes ago, markc said:

sorry 230v!  im just thinking of heating, etc  

Nope, you cannot have electric heating on any boat (tin or GRP) unless you have a huge solar panel array, and when the solar panels work its summertime, when you need heat (in the Winter) Soar doesn't work.

We have diesel heating which works just like a house 'oil' heating.

Set temperature on the thermostat and that's it.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

25 minutes ago, TheMenagerieAfloat said:

I fink the OP has (had) a steel boat but is looking for smthing bigger but not too pricey? 

I think it is more that the OP is looking for a cheap liveaboard boat and found that steel boats are outside his budget.

Maybe my 'fault' as I suggested a GRP would be within budget.

8 hours ago, MartynG said:

In the original question what is the relevance of the material from which the boat is constructed  ?

I assumed the OP was wondering whether a solid fuel stove could be fitted in a GRP boat. It is the most reliable form of boat heating after all with very little to go wrong.

13 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Nope, you cannot have electric heating on any boat (tin or GRP) unless you have a huge solar panel array, and when the solar panels work its summertime, when you need heat (in the Winter) Soar doesn't work.

We have diesel heating which works just like a house 'oil' heating.

Set temperature on the thermostat and that's it.

diesel water heater (radiators) or warm air blow heaters?

9 hours ago, TheMenagerieAfloat said:

I fink the OP has (had) a steel boat but is looking for smthing bigger but not too pricey? 

yes!!

20 minutes ago, markc said:

diesel water heater (radiators) or warm air blow heaters?

Both (on different boats)

Current boat has blown-air with 6 vents (one in each cabin) powered by an 8Kw Ebespacher.

Problem is that without a good recharging system you'd soon end up with flat batteries as it draws a continuous 10 amps (240Ah per day)

14 hours ago, markc said:

does anyone live on a grp boat or know someone that lives on one without 240v?

I know several Mark and its functional to say the least , as for fitting a Stove many do but obviously you have to be careful regarding Safety . I notice some have constructed a Wooden Box Like Structure to give them more space , its relatively commonplace on the GU South and I can happily introduce you to a few of the owners if you are nearby

Edited by Parahandy

On ‎12‎/‎02‎/‎2020 at 09:06, Parahandy said:

I know several Mark and its functional to say the least , as for fitting a Stove many do but obviously you have to be careful regarding Safety . I notice some have constructed a Wooden Box Like Structure to give them more space , its relatively commonplace on the GU South and I can happily introduce you to a few of the owners if you are nearby

thanks for replies  I think I will get amongst the boating communities and ask some questions,  majority of boaters I've met are very happy to advise and help or just chat, the same as this forum thanks again to everyone, mark.

• Greenie 1

52 minutes ago, markc said:

thanks for replies  I think I will get amongst the boating communities and ask some questions,  majority of boaters I've met are very happy to advise and help or just chat, the same as this forum thanks again to everyone, mark.

that is the very best way to research what is possible, practical and acceptable.  Good luck with your enquiries.  You will find most of those you speak to will love to chat and advise for hours.  Just be prepared for lots of cups of tea - bring your own biscuits, they are always appreciated.  Butter shortcake will do nicely.

On 12/02/2020 at 07:16, Philip said:

Except that it is dangerous!

I have often wondered if solid fuel stoves are safe on grp? They are very safe on steel boats and far and away better than anything else but are there figures anywhere re safety on grp or indeed wood built boats? 

3 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

I have often wondered if solid fuel stoves are safe on grp? They are very safe on steel boats and far and away better than anything else but are there figures anywhere re safety on grp or indeed wood built boats? 

I have seen a few on both GRP and wooden boats, if the installed properly there appears to be no safety difference to tin boats.

After all, on a tin-boat the stove is not adjacent to steel, it is actually adjacent to the wooden linings and a wooden ceiling.

Flue collars can be a bit tricky on GRP, I wouldn't fancy an uninsulated flue through a roof, which probably has a flammable core as well as flammable grp around it. Only the same as a fibreglass or wooden top leisure nb too.

However with a double insulated flue, 1" of proper Vitcas fireboard (not bloomin Celotex like I saw on one boat) and a tiled paving slab as a hearth they can be as safe as in a steel boat. 

We always found the blown air diesel heating to do a very good job of keeping our GRP boat warm and dry.

It would certainly be my first choice of heating if we ever decide to get another boat.

It gives pretty instant heat output and is a dry source of heat. The wet diesel heating system we encountered on the last boat we hired was very effective but it took a long while to get going and start to heat things up. Although once it was working at full output it was very effective again.

26 minutes ago, harrybsmith said:

Flue collars can be a bit tricky on GRP, I wouldn't fancy an uninsulated flue through a roof, which probably has a flammable core as well as flammable grp around it. Only the same as a fibreglass or wooden top leisure nb too.

However with a double insulated flue, 1" of proper Vitcas fireboard (not bloomin Celotex like I saw on one boat) and a tiled paving slab as a hearth they can be as safe as in a steel boat. 

You have one on your grp don't you ?

1 minute ago, harrybsmith said:

I do indeed, fitted as described. Also got a Chinese Planar heater clone, which I've found fine but I'm staying quiet about to avoid WW3. Hope you're OK in these floods!

Not too bad where we are, water was over the side last couple of days but only a couple of inches deep, Proctors is completely flooded, never seen it as bad there. Where you moored now?