Strange tapping noise.

Featured Posts

Hi there. First post on here so please forgive me for any etiquette/wrong section errors etc. 

For the last couple of days I have noticed an odd tapping/knocking noise seemingly coming from the port side wall in the bathroom area. Almost like an echoing pulse every second or so. I can't pinpoint the exact location but there are no pipes or wires in that area. . I have tried turning off everything electrical, which made no difference. I also checked all areas underneath water pipes and the bilges etc. and no signs of any leaks. Likewise central heating system and boiler all functioning as normal and water pressure good. Any ideas what else I should check. I first heard the noise after getting back to the boat after the storm on Sunday. The boat is in a reasonably sheltered location in a small private marina.

Bit of a long winded post but any suggestions welcome. 

Kind regards 

Treb

I was moored recently, facing into the wind.  I ha a similar strange sound which I thought was ducks pecking at the algae to start, but then realised it was waves breaking as they were pushed up between the boat and the bank - larger than normal gap due to Shroppie shelf.

3 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Trapped woodpecker?

More seriously, expanding pipes? Does it happen with the heating off?Not 

Not totally a joke. If there are no more obvious reasons what about a duck/swan pecking off wèed on the hull. Most of us have been woken up by a swan/duck having an early morning breakfast. Somewhat more sinister, could it be a rodent? As a boy I had a pet hampster in my bedroom. Every night his cage had to be put into the bathroom because of the tapping noise he made.

The noise is like a pulse. Approximately once a second for the last 48 hours. And yes it happens with the heating on and off. I've been a liveaboard boater for 4 years now and never heard anything like this. Weird but will check centre lines etc this evening 

5 minutes ago, Trevor Goward said:

The noise is like a pulse. Approximately once a second for the last 48 hours. And yes it happens with the heating on and off. I've been a liveaboard boater for 4 years now and never heard anything like this. Weird but will check centre lines etc this evening 

You're sure its not a drip, right? :o

12 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

You're sure its not a drip, right? :o

Good thinking.

If Trevor turns off the water pump and let's the pressure out of both hot and cold pipes by running a tap it should either slow down or stop if it's from the plumbing.

If it's a leak through the cabin from round a mushroom vent or a window this won't help, but at least he will know the plumbing is OK.

If it's a drip from a tree, then I'd advise moving!  I sometimes get a drip...drip...drip from my solar panel but I recognise that one so ignore it now.

16 minutes ago, Trevor Goward said:

Lol with some of the replies. Re turning off water pump. Tried that no difference. I will check the mushroom vents etc this evening. It could be drip drip I guess but 48 hours? And where the hells all that water going if the bilges are dry? 

Are you sure you didn't leave the missus down there last time you replaced the bilge access?  Worth a thought if you're also wondering whether you've gone deaf... ;)

5 hours ago, dor said:

I was moored recently, facing into the wind.  I ha a similar strange sound which I thought was ducks pecking at the algae to start, but then realised it was waves breaking as they were pushed up between the boat and the bank - larger than normal gap due to Shroppie shelf.

I've had that, drove me bloody wild until I worked it out

8 minutes ago, Trevor Goward said:

Well I'm back on the boat now. No rain for 24 hours and the noise has stopped. I guess at least I know what it was now. Just need to find the leak and where the drips went. Thanks for all your replies. Trev. 

It may have been an outside drip