Scout boat

leeco

Featured Posts

The Calder & Hebble is a navigation. The River Calder runs very close to the canalised section the boat is in, I suspect the river overtopped its banks and the water flooded part of the canalised section. It doesn’t happen too often so there’s no point waiting for another flood unless Storm Dennis is going to bring a similar amount of rain this weekend.

2 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Don't spoil the fun speculation by being sensible !

It may not be safe to tow it away whilst the canal is in flood.

Secure it properly (this time) and when the waters return to normal take it away.

Fair enough. To be honest, it didn't sound particularly safe to be stood in a raging flood in your waders trying to push it back within the bounds of the canal. 

?

Just now, Alan de Enfield said:

Don't spoil the fun speculation by being sensible !

It may not be safe to tow it away whilst the canal is in flood.

Secure it properly (this time) and when the waters return to normal take it away.

It is on Broad Cut on the Calder & Hebble. A short length of canal between two stretches of river navigation.  If the cut is flooded then the river would be very dangerous. Hence the idea of keeping it there, but pushing it out if it floods again and setting up a way to prevent it drifting back on to the bank before the waters subside. With the cut effectively becoming part of the river when in flood there is the question of how risky it is to be working around the boat while this happens.

Jen

Can't move boat uphill, figure of three lock is trashed! Downhill is Broad Cut River lock. Dodgy at the moment. Strap 2 vertical lengths of scaff pole to the side to keep it off the towpath. Immsmr, the fixed scaff poles at the Broad Cut Moorings only rose about a metre above the towpath. 

On 11/02/2020 at 11:25, David Mack said:

Looks like the same location where Pipistrelle was grounded in 2008. You can't get a crane in there.

Wakefield Scouts would be advised to find someone who can side slip the boat back in as suggested by Mayalld in the second thread. I've no idea if they would be willing to help, but the guys at the boatyard in Ashton-under-Lyne have lots of experience of side slipping.

Been in touch with my mate who's one of the scout leaders - The crane is not an option. He has enquired at Portland Basin but the manager wasn't in and so far no contact. Is that the boatyard you suggest?  If not do you have a name/contact for the boatyard mentioned?

14 minutes ago, Midnight said:

Been in touch with my mate who's one of the scout leaders - The crane is not an option. He has enquired at Portland Basin but the manager wasn't in and so far no contact. Is that the boatyard you suggest?  If not do you have a name/contact for the boatyard mentioned?

I read it was in the hands of their insurers on FB

1 hour ago, Midnight said:

I was thinking of the boatyard at Knowle Street, Stalybridge (http://wcbs.org.uk/boats/heritage-boatyard/). It seems to have a very low profile online. You may be able to contact them via WBCS.

2 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

I think I would be securing the boat so it can't relaunch itself if there are more floods this weekend

From the pictures it looks like the bow is still tied to the rings on the bank

EDIT, see the top picture in post 11 on page 1.

Edited by Graham Davis

2 hours ago, Skeg said:

The Calder & Hebble is a navigation. The River Calder runs very close to the canalised section the boat is in, I suspect the river overtopped its banks and the water flooded part of the canalised section. It doesn’t happen too often so there’s no point waiting for another flood unless Storm Dennis is going to bring a similar amount of rain this weekend.

Storm Dennis is forecast to deliver large amounts of rain.

If I was the owner of this boat I would definitely wait and see what the weekend delivers before putting any other plans in place.

3 hours ago, Jim Riley said:

If it floats this weekend what about calling in the sea scouts from Wakefield. They have boats that could be used to get to it. 

If it got flooded enough to refloat 'Scouting Venture' I doubt they would they get up river past Wakefield & Thornes Flood locks and a raging River Calder?

7 hours ago, Midnight said:

If it got flooded enough to refloat 'Scouting Venture' I doubt they would they get up river past Wakefield & Thornes Flood locks and a raging River Calder?

Of course, but Shirley, they must have portable craft. 

On 13/02/2020 at 10:21, ditchcrawler said:

Would you want your kids out on a waterway that is running 3 foot above normal water levels?

Oh God, do I have to explain Everything?* They have (hopefully) competent leaders who could go and do it without little cubs for fenders etc. 

*only on cwdf????

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Midnight said:

Back in the canal although the canal is back on the towpath

Resized_20200216_110248.jpg

They must have friends in very high places that could summons the river back up to do a refloat so promptly.

Wonderful! Perhaps there is power in prayer?  Never worked much fo me, perhaps I was doing it wrong?

Edited by DandV

4 minutes ago, Midnight said:

Would have made a great story but no RCR pulled in back in using a winch across from the other side of the cut.

Is that a joke?

If the local agent for RCR pulled the boat back in using a winch as the waters rose then full marks to him/them  - I just don't believe it from prior experience of RCR-authorised salvage operations.

It is how I and many of my friends would have done it, although admittedly I would have preferred to be stood in the pub not the beer garden ...  I just struggle with the RCR authorised bit!

10 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

Is that a joke?

If the local agent for RCR pulled the boat back in using a winch as the waters rose then full marks to him/them  - I just don't believe it from prior experience of RCR-authorised salvage operations.

It is how I and many of my friends would have done it, although admittedly I would have preferred to be stood in the pub not the beer garden ...  I just struggle with the RCR authorised bit!

I have the video - full marks to RCR on this one. Just one winch and a couple of scaffolding poles. The high water level no doubt helped keep it all relatively straightforward and safe.