Scout boat

leeco

Featured Posts

Absolutely, it's reasonable sage where it is, and should be covered by insurance. However if you can get a crane on it that is likely the best option. Will require a large crane for the reach I expect, and some work getting the slings under it. 

Daniel

7 minutes ago, DHutch said:

Absolutely, it's reasonable sage where it is, and should be covered by insurance. However if you can get a crane on it that is likely the best option. Will require a large crane for the reach I expect, and some work getting the slings under it. 

Daniel

Wouldn't be easy to get a crane to it. Sure there's a weight limit on the bridge behind and that's The Navigation Pub garden by the towpath.

Looks like the same location where Pipistrelle was grounded in 2008. You can't get a crane in there.

Whatever you do, don't call in the professional clowns who refloated Pipistrelle. Utterly clueless and caused the otherwise undamaged interior to be flooded as well as wrecking the rudder when it finally went in. Some pictures at http://www.penninewaterways.co.uk/news/news2008b.htm#boatrecovery.

The videos don't seem to be available any more. Previous threads at 

Wakefield Scouts would be advised to find someone who can side slip the boat back in as suggested by Mayalld in the second thread. I've no idea if they would be willing to help, but the guys at the boatyard in Ashton-under-Lyne have lots of experience of side slipping.

P.s. I don't do Facebook, but perhaps someone who does can point Chris Duggan to this thread. 

Edited by David Mack
  • Greenie 1

17 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Looks like the same location where Pipistrelle was grounded in 2008. You can't get a crane in there.

Whatever you do, don't call in the professional clowns who refloated Pipistrelle. Utterly clueless and caused the otherwise undamaged interior to be flooded as well as wrecking the rudder when it finally went in. Some pictures at http://www.penninewaterways.co.uk/news/news2008b.htm#boatrecovery.

Wakefield Scouts would be advised to find someone who can side slip the boat back in as suggested by Mayalld in the second thread. I've no idea if they would be willing to help, but the guys at the boatyard in Ashton-under-Lyne have lots of experience of side slipping.

P.s. I don't do Facebook, but perhaps someone who does can point Chris Duggan to this thread. 

I’ll point him to here

21 minutes ago, David Mack said:

I have alerted Jubilee Ventures to this thread

Don't know the area well and hadn't clocked it was the same location!

If a crane is not practical, then that's another challenge. Hopefully lessons can be learnt from last time. 

I alerted Chris to this thread earlier, should have said. 

Daniel

2 hours ago, David Mack said:

The videos don't seem to be available any more. 

I have uploaded the video I took in 2008 of the shenannigans at Broad Cut.

nb Pipistrelle refloated (just):

• Greenie 3
  • Horror 1

4 minutes ago, Skeg said:

In theory you could get a crane in there if the Navigation were happy to have their garden chewed up. The problem will be getting underneath the boat.

Or wait a couple of weeks for the next flood and push it back...

13 hours ago, Skeg said:

In theory you could get a crane in there if the Navigation were happy to have their garden chewed up. The problem will be getting underneath the boat.

If you could get a crane there, which sound like it would be a sticking point if only with the pub, getting the slings under would be the easy bit.

Fairly easy to jack the boat up a few inches to get a sling under, which they did to get slip-pads under Pipistrelle during the previous refloat. 

Equally if you opted to side-slip it back in, which might be an option, you would have to raise it up to get the timbers/steels under for that.

Daniel

If a crane could access the site, there wouldn't be a problem getting slings under, or any need for jacking.  The bow is safely on the hard so a sling could be passed under the counter, lifting the stern so a couple of timbers could be slid under the boat.

What may be a consideration would be the size of crane, I seem to think the towpath is fairly wide at that point and there's also a wall at the beer garden, which may be a consideration for a safe working radius.  I don't think the wall is too tall, so it might be possible for the operator to get his outriggers over it and onto the towpath.

13 minutes ago, Rickent said:

I think there is a good chance of this happening. 

And genuinely, if the levels where to rise again, then having a good plan in-place to refloat on the next rise would not be stupid.

I expect it would involve a securing the boat to the bank with strong ropes of a suitable length, and then either getting another suitable rope from the boat to the off side bank to hold it off, or suitable props which could be deployed from the near bank to push and then hold it out while the waters dropped. You might well want a good long 'spring' from the boat, running up river at a shallow angle, such the the force of the flowing water was not resulting in pushing the boat inwards.

I don't know how high the waters got, or how fast they were flowing at the time to know if that is a sensible or practical proposition. However if it was such that standing on the grass area, perhaps in waders, was reasonable safe, and the flow was such you could push it outward, your on to a winning course.

Daniel 

2 minutes ago, Galilee said:

Stupid question probably, but if it were to refloat on another flood, why wouldn't you just cruise it (or tow it) away and moor it somewhere safer?

Don't spoil the fun speculation by being sensible !

It may not be safe to tow it away whilst the canal is in flood.

Secure it properly (this time) and when the waters return to normal take it away.