Custom made windows

W+T

Featured Posts

I am trying to find a company that makes custom made double glazed windows, ( Thermal break units ) the ones i have found only make the usual shape/style for narrow boats. As this is for a cruiser i want to see if anybody will make them to my original window shape. 

Any info on manufacturers please :)

Captain Faffer:)

spacer.png 

9 hours ago, rusty69 said:

No experience, but Mr Google found these 

http://www.seaglaze.co.uk/

http://www.boatwindow.co.uk/index.htm

Boat Windows only do plastic and the Seaglaze for some reason in couldnt get through.

There is Houdini that i have asked to get a price, they dint sound interested really and said they will quote me for a different boat. 

I have found another but will call them tomorrow. 

2 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Odd. You rang 01603 720745?

From what I’ve seen of their website they’re exactly what you need. 

Yep, and i tried to`contact` page but it does not respond. 

Ill ring again tomoz as they do sound good. So ill be sat down when the quote me lol

• Happy 1

3 hours ago, W+T said:

And Seaglaze came back with, for some reason single glazed quote, but still gave me an idea of cost. £5200. 

Ah well refurb time. 

I replaced all the windows on my Norman 20 with 5mm perspex.I know you would prefer glass,but it was done at a fraction of the price you were quoted (less than £100 if memory serves.It's quite easy to cut with an angle grinder and if you want double glazing,stick another sheet of perspex on the inside of the window frame with double sided tape.

48 minutes ago, Mad Harold said:

I replaced all the windows on my Norman 20 with 5mm perspex.I know you would prefer glass,but it was done at a fraction of the price you were quoted (less than £100 if memory serves.It's quite easy to cut with an angle grinder and if you want double glazing,stick another sheet of perspex on the inside of the window frame with double sided tape.

What ever i do it will be glass,  perpsex is good stuff but not for windows to me, i am very picky that way, scratchs to easy for a start. Its not that bad for new glass eitber, all in for 6mm laminated it is less than £300 for eight windows and four port holes. These are as original, there are a few ways i can go about it. Make my own units and adapt the original frames to take them. All down to the work involved  and if i can be bothered.

Really fancied a set of nice new double glazed ally windows but not at them prices. 

Another quote is with Wesley marine windows and single glazed for 8 windows, 6 being opening slider type,  4 portholes and £2900 , not bad and tempted at them. 

Have you considered just asking a local glazier? If you're just looking for the sealed units rather than the surrounds they should be able to manage. I suspect that if they are able to do it (and you're able to reuse the frames) you might have a pleasant surprise at the price.

Edited by Onionman

1 hour ago, Onionman said:

Have you considered just asking a local glazier? If you're just looking for the sealed units rather than the surrounds they should be able to manage. I suspect that if they are able to do it (and you're able to reuse the frames) you might have a pleasant surprise at the price.

Yes that was my first choice and the company i used can make the units for me to my own spec to fit the frames i have. Although to fit double glazed units then complete different frames are needed for a proper job for them to be opening type, hopper or slide. . Being 10mm thick units then the frames need to be able to accomodate the extra thickness from the 5 or 6mm single glazed. 

• 2 weeks later...

Well i have another quote at last from Channel Glaze. I am tempted at these but looking for feed back/reviews if anybody has any on the DG full hopper style they make. I like  the look of them and price isnt to bad, a lot less than Houdini and others. £4200, bit less if i change the portholes.  This si the video of the the ones i like. 

9 hours ago, WotEver said:

They look good to me. Channelglaze has a good rep. 

I do like the windows Wesley marine do with the Thermal break to prevent condensation of frames. And these from Channelglaze do the same, but under a different name.  This will cost near 50% of the entire rebuild but i think it will be worth it.  

Spoke to T and i cant  believe she is all for it wow :)  

Best get busy on the Boat Works :)

• Happy 1