Battery charger

Richard T

Featured Posts

7 hours ago, LadyG said:

NB I was under the impression that a marine charger was essential as the grounding of an auto charger could by pass the galvanic isolator. ..... about 14.00 mins in ...........

1. Many (most?) small 'car' chargers have no earth connection at all - they're double insulated class 2 devices.
2. Any device that connects neutral and earth will trip the RCD.

3. I wonder if he means that some chargers connect the earth to the negative charger feed?  If so then point 2 applies, assuming your mains is hull bonded (which it should be).

8 hours ago, LadyG said:

if I put my 5 amp CTEK [smart thing]  on one of the domestic banks, and bought a 40 amp charger would I be OK? 

Not sure what you're asking.  Putting both chargers in parallel?  Why would you want the 5A CTEK if you have a 40A charger connected?

On 14/02/2020 at 09:44, cuthound said:

I wonder what the battery test phase does?

The poorly translated manual for my cheap car battery charger says the battery check is a pass if the battery voltage drops no more than a certain amount in two minutes after charging. If it does, it starts the charging cycle again. 

1 hour ago, WotEver said:

1. Many (most?) small 'car' chargers have no earth connection at all - they're double insulated class 2 devices.
2. Any device that connects neutral and earth will trip the RCD.

3. I wonder if he means that some chargers connect the earth to the negative charger feed?  If so then point 2 applies, assuming your mains is hull bonded (which it should be).

Not sure what you're asking.  Putting both chargers in parallel?  Why would you want the 5A CTEK if you have a 40A charger connected?

I have the 5 amp CTEK already, and at the moment there is a 5 amp non smart charger at the bow batteries, I would prefer to replace the existing one with a smart one , with the existing wiring system being a bit of a mystery, i feel it is better to replace the unknown with the known. I think the 5am existing keeps bow batteries going when on mains, it has a small blue light which comes on. 

I was not aware that chargers were "paralleled", but I just though of two as being, well two individuals, "a patch"

Edited by LadyG

Without knowing how your thruster batteries are wired it’s impossible to say whether or not you require two chargers. If there’s a pair of cables from house bank to thruster bank then all you require is a single charger.