Liking for help and advice is possible!

Bjg28

Featured Posts

2 hours ago, Bjg28 said:

Can I just ask, why is there such arrogance and hostility here? Not many forums seem to have this hostility you guys do?

You haven't answered Alan de Enfield's point about what arrogance and hostility? You asked if a particular boat was suitable for the canals and were told that it is not. Your posts suggest you are looking at bargain basement boats, and so some of us advised you of things you need to be aware of and the financial and other pitfalls you might encounter. This advice was all given to save you from wasting your time and money on something that could easily become a millstone around your neck.

Engage positively with this forum and you can learn from the varied experience of boaters here. Or you can get snippy with people who give you advice you don't like.  Your choice.

• Greenie 3

4 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

The answer is there seems to be a curious expectation here that you do some basic research on here before jumping in with questions. Odd as you say, given this is a section specifically for new and inexperienced people.

To many new visitors, asking questions on here IS their basic research, so I agree, the way new people get treated snippily or downright rudely is very sad, it drives new members away.

I can understand this comment, shame on me for not diving in deeper and calling perhaps  Bridgewater canal and asking,

However why would the bottom part be added if this user didn't feel the same?

I like the sense of community how some one will just jump in and try to pull points out of thin air 

Oh p.s what were the questions? I.never saw the question marks also looking at profs think are.might be a aspect here tbu

5 hours ago, Chewbacka said:

I beg to differ.  I find it depends on how you treat the residents.

Agree. My limited Dark Side ventures have been friendlier and less canalsplainy than here. They do seem stay remarkably on topic though which is disconcerting.

8 hours ago, David Mack said:

Engage positively with this forum and you can learn from the varied experience of boaters here. Or you can get snippy with people who give you advice you don't like.  Your choice.

I'm greedy. I do both ?

Edited by TheMenagerieAfloat
Edited to add: for new boaters I'd recommend avoiding this section of the forum (and probably the pub bit too). The responses to questions I've posted in the equipment sections and so forth have been great.

11 hours ago, Murflynn said:

trouble is many folk wear rose tinted spex and only hear what they would like to hear, rather than the plain facts that are often a bitter pill to swallow.

perhaps it would be helpful if there was a scheme where hopeful potential boaters-on-the-cheap could be given a boat trip past some of the unofficial (and partly unlawful) residential settlements that have been allowed to develop and observe the number of floating skips and the occasional bankside scrap-heap created by other (failed) hopefuls.

"Trouble is" that is a bit like saying take a walk through a social housing estate before you accept accommodation/private rent/buy there. People aren't not living in mansions becasue of optimism; they aren't living in mansions becasue of lack of funds!

A 'floating skip' may well be the best accommodation available to the individuals on your trip (if they value independence/enjoy DIY/the community and so forth and/or are not eligible for any available social housing). And many of them cruise.

12 hours ago, TheMenagerieAfloat said:

"Trouble is" that is a bit like saying take a walk through a social housing estate before you accept accommodation/private rent/buy there. People aren't not living in mansions becasue of optimism; they aren't living in mansions becasue of lack of funds!

A 'floating skip' may well be the best accommodation available to the individuals on your trip (if they value independence/enjoy DIY/the community and so forth and/or are not eligible for any available social housing). And many of them cruise.

easy to find exceptions, but I think you are well aware of the type of 'boat' I was referring to.   On the K&A last time I visited there were boats with nettles and ash saplings growing out of the fenders and floating scum and rubbish trapped by the floating tyre/rope 'barrier' installed around the boat.

I have all the time in the world for impecunious but considerate boaters including live-aboards, but none for anyone who is so lazy, abusive, and/or careless that he/she spoils the environment that we all like to enjoy.

Edited by Murflynn

25 minutes ago, Murflynn said:

easy to find exceptions, but I think you are well aware of the type of 'boat' I was referring to.   On the K&A last time I visited there were boats with nettles and ash saplings growing out of the fenders and floating scum and rubbish trapped by the floating tyre/rope 'barrier' installed around the boat.

I have all the time in the world for impecunious but considerate boaters including live-aboards, but none for anyone who is so lazy, abusive, and/or careless that he/she spoils the environment that we all like to enjoy.

I don't find the cleanliness or 'wild gardeness' of anyone else's boat makes a difference to my enjoyment of mine. Similarly the maintenance of the cars I park near on the street. I rather like the mixed nature of the canals near me. But then I chose (despite having previously lived in less mixed environments and having the funds not to do so) to live in a fairly, erm, 'vibrant' land setting. If you're the kind of person who in a land residence is upset by the neighbours lawn care standards it is probably best to stay in a nice marina with entry criteria.

Being annoyed by license violations I have a wee bit more sympathy for...

Edited by TheMenagerieAfloat

13 minutes ago, Murflynn said:

perhaps you enjoy observing fly-tipped rubbish when you wander about in the countryside.

..............  I don't. 

At the moment where we live it seams that Stellar larger cans are the in thing to dump, yesterday brought 2 carrier bags full from the hedgerow in the village, its overtaken Mcdonalds 

11 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

At the moment where we live it seams that Stellar larger cans are the in thing to dump, yesterday brought 2 carrier bags full from the hedgerow in the village, its overtaken Mcdonalds 

Actually chucking rubbish on canal/towpath/urban street/green belt/wherever is clearly out of order. And we're buying a litter grabbing thingy to get stuff out of our basin (boat hook doesn't work for everything). But someone just (not) maintaining their own appropriately licensed moored and cruised boat to different standards than my own is fine.

There are button gardens on moorings costing 16k/yr near me. And, whilst I don't care to have one on my boats, I don't find other peoples in the least annoying. Similarly large collections of found 'objet' on other peoples roofs. Mine are very clear - one life ring, one boat pole and a hose between the two of them. But I rather enjoy more characterful ones!

3 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Can you use it to get hair out of the plug hole ? (Horrible job)

Nah, for that you want one of those springy things.

Like this: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Bathroom-Hand-Turbo-Pipe-Snake-Spring-Sink-Drain-Cleaner-1.6M-5.2-Ft/46044439

(But more UK based)

3 hours ago, TheMenagerieAfloat said:

Nah, for that you want one of those springy things.

Like this: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Bathroom-Hand-Turbo-Pipe-Snake-Spring-Sink-Drain-Cleaner-1.6M-5.2-Ft/46044439

(But more UK based)

recently suffered a blockage of mud and dog hair from washing dirty dogs in the utility room sink.  Tried one of those - it was good at getting down the pipes but no good at coming back.  we ended up cutting out all the visible pipework along with the spring, and rerouting the drain with big bore pipe. ....... now works a treat. 

this one is good for the bathroom sink but none of them seem to manage to get past a pop-up waste:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FITZER-DRAIN-UNBLOCKER-SNAKE-U-BEND-CLEANER-HAIR-REMOVER-SINK-SHOWER-BATH-CLOG/273856766015?_trkparms=aid%3D555018%26algo%3DPL.SIM%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20131003132420%26meid%3D41f7def85f034f2389d6ad4b66ef138b%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D12%26mehot%3Dsb%26sd%3D302842949256%26itm%3D273856766015%26pmt%3D1%26noa%3D0%26pg%3D2047675&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

Edited by Murflynn

9 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Pop-up wastes generally unscrew. 

TMA seems to have a particularly large basin as she has to collect the litter out of it - not sure if she'll have a 'pop-up' plug.

Said in a Brummy accent :-

A) What's the difference between a Buffalo and a Bison ?

A) You cannot wash your hands in a Buffalo.

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

TMA seems to have a particularly large basin as she has to collect the litter out of it - not sure if she'll have a 'pop-up' plug.

Said in a Brummy accent :-

A) What's the difference between a Buffalo and a Bison ?

A) You cannot wash your hands in a Buffalo.

Overheard as I walked past the Big Wheel at Walsall Arboretum: “Fower quid for the big whale??!!”

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Murflynn said:

Tried one of those - it was good at getting down the pipes but no good at coming back.

Ah, see mine is long enough to reach to the skin fittings so no issue with coming back! Worst case scenario would involve magnet fishing I suppose but youd have to really try to need that! 

On 12/02/2020 at 10:29, Bjg28 said:

It's more of a situation of balancing finance,

And I wouldn't look as low as 200gbp I don't want to die by been sinking in my sleep.

I also wouldn't be as irrisponcible to go and abandon a boat near a water way or wildlife to op 

I don't ware any shade of glasses and I have done a lot of footwork, I was curious with it not been a canal boat and figured, "hey I know what let's ask somewhere people have probs spent years around so might know" 

So perhaps my logic was way off mark and should have asked over at geeksquad and let them use mathematics and science to tell me if it would be possible...

So sorry for that 

I have also spoke to a few marinas had acquired mooring prices in the past I'm not from or near London hence why I asked here also,

And the reason I was looking on the project side is because I love making designing and crafting things putting time and effort and learning.

It's also perhaps why I annoy so many sellers asking questions and asking for photos so much,

And I don't give up easy so shame on people who start projects and give up. With anything really,

Perhaps that is self projection from can't be arsed or sod trying anything like that.

It's a general attitude quite common in all walks of life unfortunately 

I'd say that regardless of your good intentions, a project boat is likely to be a money pit, a hole in a bucket, an unknown.

With skills, resiliance and a job, you might be better with a sailaway ... camping on a boat of known provenance ...

PS you come across as a bit arsey [oops did I really say that@ ... Sorry.

Edited by LadyG
  • Greenie 1