Liking for help and advice is possible!

Bjg28

Featured Posts

Hi! Thanks for reading,

I have been looking at canal boats and cruisers for quite a while but with having a small budget this has been unfruitfull so far.

However I came across recently when looking over a project norman20 what I thought from the picture to be a similar boat, through ignorance on my part and Google confusing me I came to realise it was in fact not a cruiser but a yatch.

It's been sold as a project but had a working log burner and working oven.

It had sails that are no longer resistant, and has been hard standing for 10 years however it is apparently a well made hull for the time.

It is also missing a engine what I believe was around a 8hp.

I guess where I'm going with this I really do like the style of the boat it's dimensions are 

LOA : 22' 3" (6.8m)
Beam : 7' 6" (2.3m)
Draft : 2' 3" (0.7m)

Would it be possible for this boat to be used on canals around London? I'm asking because I know some wide beams can however this also isn't a canal boat 

Hope that wasn't too confusing and welcome any and all advice and input 

Kind regards

56 minutes ago, Bjg28 said:

Hope that wasn't too confusing and welcome any and all advice and input 

Kind regards

There are 100's of boats around the country that are in that sort of condition - many boat yards are desperate to get rid of them , you may even find one that will pay you to take it away.

All the value in the boat has been removed leaving someone the expense of having to cut up and pay to dispose of the hull.

You do know that you cannot just 'tie up' and stay where you want don't you ?

You are required to move to a new location every few days (somewhere between every 2 days and 14 days depending on area)

How will you do that without an engine ?

The alternative to moving is to rent a mooring, but, in London the cost of a mooring will be £10,000 - £15,000 per annum

Another thought is that yachts tend to be 'wide' in the centre and go to 'sharp & pointy' at both ends. They will have much less usable internal space than a motor cruiser.

What is your budget ?

This boat has been mentioned in a few discussions recently - I think it is very competitively priced.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/114101405675?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649

Edited by Alan de Enfield

18 minutes ago, Graham Davis said:

I think a photo of the boat you are looking at might be useful.

If it has been on the hard for 10 years how do they know the log burner and oven are working?
And if there is no engine I hope it is VERY cheap.

Hi sorry I thought I had cnp the boat, the image shown was not the best but it's a westerly 22 and from what I asked he said the cooker and fire have been tested while it's been out thanks for the info 

12 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

There are 100's of boats around the country that are in that sort of condition - many boat yards are desperate to get rid of them , you may even find one that will pay you to take it away.

All the value in the boat has been removed leaving someone the expense of having to cut up and pay to dispose of the hull.

You do know that you cannot just 'tie up' and stay where you want don't you ?

You are required to move to a new location every few days (somewhere between every 2 days and 14 days depending on area)

How will you do that without an engine ?

The alternative to moving is to rent a mooring, but, in London the cost of a mooring will be £10,000 - £15,000 per annum

Another thought is that yachts tend to be 'wide' in the centre and go to 'sharp & pointy' at both ends. They will have much less usable internal space than a motor cruiser.

What is your budget ?

This boat has been mentioned in a few discussions recently - I think it is very competitively priced.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/114101405675?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649

Hi thanks for the Info, I know about the moorings ect I had enquired with a few places.

I wouldn't continuously cruise so would use paid mooring,

I can't find many that are like that however mainly looked over gum tree and ebay.

That's a bit over my budget at the moment but thanks for sharing also

It might help if you could let people know what you want the boat for...? 

What you want for

*living on

*drinking gin on in summer

*tinkering with

*feeling historic with

*(presumably not) racing/exercising in etc

is going to be a bit different. 

I think if £8000 is over your budget and you want to live around the London areas I would suggest you go away and have another think. It will cost you a huge amount more to live on the canals especially around London.

21 hours ago, Bjg28 said:

Hi thanks for the Info, I know about the moorings ect I had enquired with a few places

And do you know you have to be licenced to be on CRT's waterways, and that to get a licence you have to have insurance and a Boat Safety Certificate (a sort of boaty MOT)? And if the boat is more than 25-30 years old most insurers will want an out-of-water survey before they will give comprehensive insurance. Have you factored in the cost of all of these?

Edited by David Mack

Thanks for the small help given,

I asked the same over on another forum and have got the help needed.

Can I just ask, why is there such arrogance and hostility here? Not many forums seem to have this hostility you guys do?

It was nice to see replies from other forum or I realy would be saying fthis and cancel canal and river trust charity 

So I'm just curious why this hostility at canalworld and why have section of the forum for new? 

I'm sure everyone isn't like that 

9 minutes ago, Bjg28 said:

Can I just ask, why is there such arrogance and hostility here? Not many forums seem to have this hostility you guys do?

It was nice to see replies from other forum or I realy would be saying fthis and cancel canal and river trust charity 

So I'm just curious why this hostility at canalworld and why have section of the forum for new? 

The answer is there seems to be a curious expectation here that you do some basic research on here before jumping in with questions. Odd as you say, given this is a section specifically for new and inexperienced people.

To many new visitors, asking questions on here IS their basic research, so I agree, the way new people get treated snippily or downright rudely is very sad, it drives new members away.

• Greenie 1

18 minutes ago, Bjg28 said:

I have looked back over the posts and can see no hostility, just some useful suggestions / advice.

What you may see as arrogance is simply because folks are trying to help and make sure you are aware of the implications and costs of boat ownership - by looking at that boat for canal use, you identified someone with little knowledge of the waterways, and even having to ask if a 23 foot boat will 'fit' on the canals in London would suggest little research, so the suggestions were based on that.

Had you said I have investigated licence, insurance, mooring, BSSC costs but just need some help sourcing a boat the response may have been different.

Someone looking at a £200 boat gives the impression that a £10,000 - £15,000 London mooring may not be something they have considered.

Hopefully the forum you have received your 'good advice' from is not one of the "of course it'll be all right, you don't need worry about C&RT or licence enforcement etc etc" forums that abound around the subject of boating in London.

Have you tried the London Boaters Facebook page - they tell the truth about boating in London and should be able to give you some help.

Edited by Alan de Enfield
  • Greenie 1

trouble is many folk wear rose tinted spex and only hear what they would like to hear, rather than the plain facts that are often a bitter pill to swallow.

perhaps it would be helpful if there was a scheme where hopeful potential boaters-on-the-cheap could be given a boat trip past some of the unofficial (and partly unlawful) residential settlements that have been allowed to develop and observe the number of floating skips and the occasional bankside scrap-heap created by other (failed) hopefuls.

• Horror 1

45 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I have looked back over the posts and can see no hostility, just some useful suggestions / advice.

What you may see as arrogance is simply because folks are trying to help and make sure you are aware of the implications and costs of boat ownership - by looking at that boat for canal use, you identified someone with little knowledge of the waterways, and even having to ask if a 23 foot boat will 'fit' on the canals in London would suggest little research, so the suggestions were based on that.

Had you said I have investigated licence, insurance, mooring, BSSC costs but just need some help sourcing a boat the response may have been different.

Someone looking at a £200 boat gives the impression that a £10,000 - £15,000 London mooring may not be something they have considered.

Hopefully the forum you have received your 'good advice' from is not one of the "of course it'll be all right, you don't need worry about C&RT or licence enforcement etc etc" forums that abound around the subject of boating in London.

Have you tried the London Boaters Facebook page - they tell the truth about boating in London and should be able to give you some help.

IThanks for the small help given,

It's more of a situation of balancing finance,

And I wouldn't look as low as 200gbp I don't want to die by been sinking in my sleep.

I also wouldn't be as irrisponcible to go and abandon a boat near a water way or wildlife to op 

I don't ware any shade of glasses and I have done a lot of footwork, I was curious with it not been a canal boat and figured, "hey I know what let's ask somewhere people have probs spent years around so might know" 

So perhaps my logic was way off mark and should have asked over at geeksquad and let them use mathematics and science to tell me if it would be possible...

So sorry for that 

I have also spoke to a few marinas had acquired mooring prices in the past I'm not from or near London hence why I asked here also,

And the reason I was looking on the project side is because I love making designing and crafting things putting time and effort and learning.

It's also perhaps why I annoy so many sellers asking questions and asking for photos so much,

And I don't give up easy so shame on people who start projects and give up. With anything really,

Perhaps that is self projection from can't be arsed or sod trying anything like that.

It's a general attitude quite common in all walks of life unfortunately