Boat down in Battyeford cut

Midnight

Featured Posts

Following yesterday's storm a boat 'Catherine Ann' was found this morning partially submerged in Battyeford cut on the Calder Navigation. Looks like it drifted above the towpath when the cut was high yesterday and appears to have been empty as there was nobody onboard this morning. It's been moored down the cut for awhile.  If anyone knows the owner please let them know. CaRT have been informed. The adjacent River Calder reached a new record level almost a foot higher than Boxing Day 2015 causing serious flood damage to the clubhouse at South Pennine Boat Club.

IMG-20200210-WA0000.jpg

Edited by Midnight

5 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

That being said, would it be too hard to refloat? It's obviously got the engine bay submerged, but the rest of it should be dry, so wouldn't it float ok if dragged back in or levered off the bank? Just be an engine job then.

Yes I think it could be done using a work boat with a hiab or maybe just dragging it off.  I'm not sure the boat is licensed so maybe CaRT won't be too sympathetic I don't know what their policy is in such matters.  

IMG-20200210-WA0001.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, Midnight said:

Oops I have been told CaRT dragged it in to take it away but it sank and now there's a huge diesel slick in the cut. Surely not!

Looking at your pictures, the diesel tanks and the engine were completely under water 3 weeks ago, so I don't see how it's much more sunk!

I can imagine that dropping the nose into the water has disturbed the spill, but I am surprised that CRT did it - they usually subcontract it so they can say "It weren't me guv!" if anything goes wrong.

A determined effort was made to re float this boat.  CRT was aware of the plan but took no part in it.  The biggest problem was the lack of access, a commercial tug couldn't reach the site due to the problems at Figure of 3 locks.  The only option being to handball the necessary equipment about a quarter of a mile or more, along a muddy towpath.  

The equipment consisted of 4 x 2" pumps, 2 generators to power the pumps, tirfors, toe jacks, hoses, wood blocks etc.  Work seemed to be going to plan with the pumps making good progress, however, when the bows were pushed back in, water gradually overwhelmed the pumps.  It's thought a seam has possibly sprung, or an old engine vent was uncovered.  The engine wasn't air cooled but it may have started out as air cooled.

The pumps were high capacity commercial units.

4 minutes ago, NB Esk said:

A determined effort was made to re float this boat.  CRT was aware of the plan but took no part in it.  The biggest problem was the lack of access, a commercial tug couldn't reach the site due to the problems at Figure of 3 locks.  The only option being to handball the necessary equipment about a quarter of a mile or more, along a muddy towpath.  

The equipment consisted of 4 x 2" pumps, 2 generators to power the pumps, tirfors, toe jacks, hoses, wood blocks etc.  Work seemed to be going to plan with the pumps making good progress, however, when the bows were pushed back in, water gradually overwhelmed the pumps.  It's thought a seam has possibly sprung, or an old engine vent was uncovered.  The engine wasn't air cooled but it may have started out as air cooled.

The pumps were high capacity commercial units.

Shame you didn't have a boom there's a few boaters along the cut unhappy that their bottom blacking is dissolving

IMG-20200305-WA0000[1].jpg