Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Alan de Enfield

Yorkshire flooding

Featured Posts

6 hours ago, dmr said:

Everything you say is correct but its a bit harsh to apply this to West Yorkshire (Calder Valley). The buildings are mostly well over a hundred years old and there is very little modern building over the floodplains. I suspect that climate change and maybe deforestation has just tipped an already vulnerable area over the edge. Get your boat up here and have a look ūüėÄ

...............Dave

I will have to bow to your better knowledge of the area with regards to what building has been going on over the last few decades but a very quick Google search suggests there are at least 5 major house builders  offering new properties in the area. of Hebden Bridge with a load more in Halfax Of course they might be built on brownfield sites. I don't know but Google Maps shows great swathes of car parks and industrial and retail sheds through Halifax. 

Houses that are more than 100 years old were unlikely to be built with a tarmac or concrete driveway though as any small patch of garden would have been used to grow stuff or perhaps keep a few chickens. Those spaces will have a driveway and garage now if one can be slotted in. 

"Getting the boat up there" has long been part of the plan and if we had not succumbed to the lure of buying a different boat we may well have been doing it this year but we have two dockings to attend to this summer which means we are going in the opposite direction. 

I have done it by boat before 19 years ago and done snippets of boating in the area on other peoples boats a couple of times since then. Dave used to work in Wakefield and then later in Bradford and in a former life the in-laws were from Horbury near Wakefield so while I would not profess to know the area well, I am more familiar with it than some areas of the country. 

Here in Hull and the East Riding after the flooding in 2007 there are many flood alleviation schemes still being constructed. The ones nearest to me haven't changed since October last year, talking to people, I've found that the work has stopped because there is too much water!! It is due to re-start in April. It just shows that, after 13 years, the flood schemes are still being constructed and also, the flooding in 2007 affected some 26 000 homes.

1 hour ago, cheshire~rose said:

I will have to bow to your better knowledge of the area with regards to what building has been going on over the last few decades but a very quick Google search suggests there are at least 5 major house builders  offering new properties in the area. of Hebden Bridge with a load more in Halfax Of course they might be built on brownfield sites. I don't know but Google Maps shows great swathes of car parks and industrial and retail sheds through Halifax. 

Houses that are more than 100 years old were unlikely to be built with a tarmac or concrete driveway though as any small patch of garden would have been used to grow stuff or perhaps keep a few chickens. Those spaces will have a driveway and garage now if one can be slotted in. 

"Getting the boat up there" has long been part of the plan and if we had not succumbed to the lure of buying a different boat we may well have been doing it this year but we have two dockings to attend to this summer which means we are going in the opposite direction. 

I have done it by boat before 19 years ago and done snippets of boating in the area on other peoples boats a couple of times since then. Dave used to work in Wakefield and then later in Bradford and in a former life the in-laws were from Horbury near Wakefield so while I would not profess to know the area well, I am more familiar with it than some areas of the country. 

perhaps some intelligent interpretation of Google maps is in order, to establish approximately what percentage of the catchment area has been affected by development involving hard surfacing.  I am convinced that this is only a minor factor - as others have said, the principal issue is none other than our good old friend 'Climate Change'.

The Calder Valley has a long history of flooding, with the plan here showing the floods below Brighouse in 1883. Much of this area is now built on.

1883 Brighouse.jpg

18 hours ago, dmr said:

Its interesting that every householder pays a lot of money to the water companies to remove surface water, and anybody who wants to dump water into the canal has to get permission from CRT and pay a hefty fee, but some landowners can discharge dangerous quantities of water onto other peoples land and into canals and rivers as they wish, and even knowingly take actions that increase this water flow. These people are not the peasants which is maybe why they get away with it.ūüėÄ

...............Dave

Not "every householder" pays the water company to remove surface water. You only pay if you drain your surface water into a foul water sewer. For new build since the Water Act 2014 there is emphasis on attenuation, restricting foul sewer use to a last resort.

18 hours ago, dmr said:

Its interesting that every householder pays a lot of money to the water companies to remove surface water, and anybody who wants to dump water into the canal has to get permission from CRT and pay a hefty fee, but some landowners can discharge dangerous quantities of water onto other peoples land and into canals and rivers as they wish, and even knowingly take actions that increase this water flow. These people are not the peasants which is maybe why they get away with it.ūüėÄ

...............Dave

Not "every householder" pays the water company to remove surface water. You only pay if you drain your surface water into a foul water sewer. For new build since the Water Act 2014 there is emphasis on attenuation, restricting foul sewer use to a last resort.

10 hours ago, Tim Lewis said:

Local scout group are looking for a crane!

FFDB52CE-A97C-4FB9-8080-CA4BEC742516.jpeg

praying for another flood. no doubt !!

On 11/02/2020 at 14:40, MartinC said:

That's not strictly true.

You only pay the surface water charge if your surface water discharges to a public sewer. This needn't be a foul sewer (in fact surface water for new builds can never discharge to foul sewers!) or combined sewer. Water authorities also have surface water sewers.

The surface water charge is removed if your surface water discharges to ground, i.e soakaways or discharges to a watercourse.

All new build estates are required to store and attenuate the surface water on site for storms up to and including the 1 in 100 + 30% climate change storm event and release this at an agreed rate via a flow control device either to ground or watercourse which is the first choice, to surface water sewer or as a last resort to a combined sewer. Surface water will never be allowed to connect into a foul sewer.

We don;t pay surface water charges on our estate as the surface water flows into a large attenuation basin and from there is released at 60l/s into the adjacent watercourse. Not that Severn Trent make this clear though and you do need to apply for the charges to be removed from your bill which in our case saved us a very nice £80 per year due to their odd method of calculating surface water charges based on house type. (£80 for detached, £40 for semi detached, £20 for terraced/flats/apartments)

On 11/02/2020 at 19:42, Murflynn said:

They might not have long to wait for that prayer to be answered.

• Greenie 1

On 11/02/2020 at 19:42, Murflynn said:

So it's their fault then!

If they wait a few days they can probably save the cost of the crane. 

• Greenie 1

There's a lot of contractors staff out in Mytholmroyd today installing temporary flood defences in places that didn't have them last weekend. They have also deployed the army. I noted that the sandbags in shop and house doorways are piled up much higher too. 

I think the authorities don't want to be caught out twice in a week!

6 hours ago, steve7a3 said:

So it's their fault then!

If they wait a few days they can probably save the cost of the crane. 

It may be that ministers really think that their prayers do good, just as it may be that frogs imagine that their croaking brings spring.¬† ..........¬† Robert G Ingersoll¬†¬† (1833 ‚Äď 1899¬† ‚Ķ¬†¬† U.S. orator)

15/2/20

THE RIVER Ouse is rising again in York as Storm Dennis makes itself felt in North Yorkshire rivers.

It is expected to reach at least four metres or 13 feet by early tomorrow evening and to continue rising.

The Environment Agency has not said when it will peak or what the expected peak level will be. It may exceed the levels reached during the 2015 floods.

https://www.yorkpress.co.uk/news/18238657.rivers-rising-york-across-north-yorkshire/

• Horror 1

They said last night it was looking at 5.2m, 5.4m worse case scenario which would beat 2000.

The highest Ive ever seen it on this camera was in 2012 when only the light on top of the No Entry sign was visible!!!

Screenshot_20200215-230739_Chrome.jpg

Well it must be somebody's fault. Its not mine - well apart from the cars I've had. Oh and the airplanes I've flown in. And there have been 3 boats that I've had built from new. And a lifetime driving HGV's. And all the timber that went into the boats. And the coal and gas and petrol and diesel that I have used.

I still think the answer to climate change and all the evils of the world is a variation of 'Tune in, turn on and drop out' but living in a yurt in a sodden field and eating nothing but brown rice is too much for me so I suppose I shall just carry on and ease my conscience by continuing my monthly payments to Greenpeace and Friends of the earth and being at Extinction Rebellion events.

• Greenie 2
  • Happy 1

Plenty of water around on the Fossdyke and the Trent today. Hazelford Weir was pretty much level.

20200216-102343.jpg

20200216-125154.jpg

20200216-125159.jpg

20200216-125204.jpg