30 Feet Springer for auction

Flyboy

Featured Posts

12 hours ago, Peter X said:

Sorry, I'm confused here!

(1) MtB seems to have seen something about 20% VAT somewhere?

But the ad says "Vat: N" so is there to be VAT?

I'm not sure what VAT rate would apply to a boat sold in an online auction?

(2) Does post #8 give that location for the boat?

PE38 0PP is on the Great Ouse near Ely, which does sound more likely than in an auction house just north of Nottingham city centre!

The photos show the boat on the water somewhere; there?

This topic is a fun little one for us amateur detectives! It's one of those topics that could keep on giving.

Location :-   https://www.johnpyeauctions.co.uk/auction_details.asp?saleid=8111&siteid=1    

This seems to say that there is VAT payable but the bidding page says no VAT.

Edited by Flyboy

17 minutes ago, Flyboy said:

Location :-   https://www.johnpyeauctions.co.uk/auction_details.asp?saleid=8111&siteid=1    

This seems to say that there is VAT payable but the bidding page says no VAT.

At last a definitive answer.

There is VAT to add to the 'hammer price'

There is a 22% buyers premium to add to the 'hammer price'

Thee is VAT to add to the buyers premium

All pretty normal for all the auctions I attend.

So, with a purchase price of (say) £1000 the actual price paid will be £1464 (or 46.4% 'add-on') as suggested earlier.

For simplicity, I'd simply work on the end price being 1.5X the hammer price.

12 hours ago, PaulJ said:

Some of the pictures show the boat outside The Ship-which is the postcode Alan has given. Rest of the pics look to be taken on its mooring (which I think was on the opposite bank and where it used to be moored)

So if you buy it you get the chance to immediately either celebrate or commiserate at a decent pub too ?

The pub regrettably is not as decent as it once was. But the boat types who go in there are a great bunch. I used to moor outside the Ship so know it well, very well. Some great memories there ?

Is the boat outside the Ship or is it on the EA mooring just above the Ship?

Edited by Traveller

5 hours ago, Traveller said:

The pub regrettably is not as decent as it once was. But the boat types who go in there are a great bunch. I used to moor outside the Ship so know it well, very well. Some great memories there ?

Is the boat outside the Ship or is it on the EA mooring just above the Ship?

Auction blurb says its moored at the pub. Seems like as good as place as anywhere to have an auction?

Is this the boat that was moored on the opposite bank few hundred yards or so before you get to the pub (if coming from Ely) ?

Havent stopped in there for a while myself-last time I did had an interesting Rhubarb and Bacon pie and mash for dinner-or something similar. 

• Horror 1

21 minutes ago, PaulJ said:

Auction blurb says its moored at the pub. Seems like as good as place as anywhere to have an auction?

Is this the boat that was moored on the opposite bank few hundred yards or so before you get to the pub (if coming from Ely) ?

Havent stopped in there for a while myself-last time I did had an interesting Rhubarb and Bacon pie and mash for dinner-or something similar. 

The auction is actually online, a bit like Ebay.

1 hour ago, PaulJ said:

It could be that boat. I am not moored there now - I am in March (Fox's) on my way back to the canals. The pub lease has been on the market for an absolute age now and it is a shadow of its former self. They used to have excellent open mic nights but something went terribly wrong. The girls who work the bar are brilliant as is the chef. The remains of the boating crowd that still use it are great. But it spends most of its time pretty much empty these days. Sad.

A local in th pub tells me the boat is Thumper which did indeed moor the other side of the river. It was apparently full of water when seized by the EA and the engine will not run. I am told it needs a full strip and refit in addition to sorting the engine.

Edited by Traveller

2 minutes ago, Traveller said:

A local in th pub tells me the boat is Thumper which did indeed moor the other side of the river. It was apparently full of water when seized by the EA and the engine will not run. I am told it needs a full strip and refit in addition to sorting the engine.

That's why its a good idea to make use of the viewing day(s)

54 minutes ago, Traveller said:

How strange, I know another Springer Thumper, at least I think its another that was leaking through the hull, given away, over plated and sat on the bank s of the T&M just below Fishpond lock, eventually was back in the water and sailed away into the sunset probably 18 months ago.

3 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

How strange, I know another Springer Thumper, at least I think its another that was leaking through the hull, given away, over plated and sat on the bank s of the T&M just below Fishpond lock, eventually was back in the water and sailed away into the sunset probably 18 months ago.

This Thumper has been moored there for several years to my knowledge. Have never seen it move.......until now ?

2 hours ago, Traveller said:

This Thumper has been moored there for several years to my knowledge. Have never seen it move.......until now ?

Me neither-I had a feeling it might be in a bit of a state. Its the Ely Ouse- not being the most exciting bit of the Ouse means I tend to look for anything remotely interesting as I pass that isnt a reed or a duck..?

5 minutes ago, PaulJ said:

Me neither-I had a feeling it might be in a bit of a state. Its the Ely Ouse- not being the most exciting bit of the Ouse means I tend to look for anything remotely interesting as I pass that isnt a reed or a duck..?

Indeed, Paul, it is an awful stretch. I was moored at the junction with the Little Ouse for about three years. The company was great, the cruising was not so good. Loved Ely but hated getting there. In fact hated getting anywhere as I had to traverse that bit of the Ouse :-). Hence now being at Fox's in March en route back to the canals.

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Traveller said:

Well Thumper has been sold for £5k. The guy who bought it is a drinking buddy of mine from the Ship. He moors there so no problem moving the boat ?

Will be nice to hear it living up to its name in the future ☺️

Been quite a few single pot Sabbs on Ebay for very reasonable money lately (actually there is one on there at the moment) if the new owner needs a replacement or just an economical source of spares (they are a bit pricey). 

Went to The Ship sometime end of September/early October last year. Twas a Saturday night, sometime between 8.30 and 9.00 in the evening. Walked in and NOBODY could be seen in the pub. Stood there for a while until something stirred around a corner. A head popped up and said "Alright'. "Hi" I said it an excited voice as I had found somebody to talk to. 

That was that conversation completed.

A young lady appeared and told me that they were in fact closed, then started talking to the other guy who also seemed to work there but couldn't be bothered to tell me they were closed.

Weird sh*t.

14 hours ago, NewCanalBoy said:

Went to The Ship sometime end of September/early October last year. Twas a Saturday night, sometime between 8.30 and 9.00 in the evening. Walked in and NOBODY could be seen in the pub. Stood there for a while until something stirred around a corner. A head popped up and said "Alright'. "Hi" I said it an excited voice as I had found somebody to talk to. 

That was that conversation completed.

A young lady appeared and told me that they were in fact closed, then started talking to the other guy who also seemed to work there but couldn't be bothered to tell me they were closed.

Weird sh*t.

That's kinda how it is nowadays. It is being helped a bit now as they let their moorings out but the question is will that arrangement survive when the pub is sold. Apparently there is now a potential purchaser on the scene.