Does anyone want their boat Vinyl Wrapped?

Jimmiboy

Featured Posts

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/02/2020 at 10:52, Jimmiboy said:

Would anyone like their boat wrapped? I have been wrapping cars and vans and working in the sign industry for years. Even though I have seen a few on the Internet I live alongside the grand union and I never see any wrapped boats cruising past. It’s gaining popularity with sea going craft but talking to narrowboat owners, even though vinyl is cheaper than painting there are concerns that it isn’t as robust. Obviously it is incredibly easy to stick a new piece of vinyl over any damage and it is virtually invisible however it isn’t ideal.  But there are some fantastic products available now, that can “heal” when you warm up the scratches with a hairdryer.  They are also impervious to ultraviolet so will keep the colours vivid and stop them from fading. These products have been developed to protect supercars and their incredibly expensive paint jobs so in my opinion would do equally well protecting a narrowboat. To put my theory to the test I would be prepared to work for free and get the vinyl at cost if someone is prepared to let me wrap all (or part) or their boat. If I am wrong the vinyl can be removed leaving no damage to existing paint.

Hi Jimmiboy

We were just in the process of trying to find a company to vinyl wrap our narrowboat, so if you're still looking for a guinea pig, let me know.  Out boat is only 2 years old and to be honest, I think it must have only been given one coat of paint by the boat builder as it seems that every twig we pass leaves a scratch. 

• 1 month later...

Hi Jimmy..we would be interested in having our narrow boat wrapped..it was built 2016/7 and total length is 57 feet

If you could email me any info to

trev.drewett@talktalk.net.       it would be great...

Many Thanks

Trevor

Moored at 

Mercia Marina..Willington..Derbyshire

40 minutes ago, Clarette said:

Hi Jimmy..we would be interested in having our narrow boat wrapped..

Jimmy hasn’t been back here since early May so my guess is he won’t see your message. Sadly he didn’t post any contact details. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi, Not sure if the consensus is now OK for vinyl wrapping on narrowboats.  I am thinking of  doing my wide beam roof and sides and did wonder if wrapping might be an option before I saw this post. Would be interested in trying.

12 minutes ago, nick white said:

Hi, Not sure if the consensus is now OK for vinyl wrapping on narrowboats.  I am thinking of  doing my wide beam roof and sides and did wonder if wrapping might be an option before I saw this post. Would be interested in trying.

They look great if done well. I sold a boat for a friend last year and had to tell the owner it had been wrapped as he had no idea and asked what paint colour it was if he needed to touch it up as a new boater.

• 3 weeks later...

SIR / MADAM 

DO YOU WRAP NARROW BOATS, AS WE HAVE THOUGHT ABOUT GETTING OURS WRAPPED AS IN THE BODY SECTION JUST ABOVE AND BELOW THE BLUE LINES.

IF IT IS POSSIBLE CAN IT BE DONE WITHOUT TAKING THE WINDOWS OUT, OUR BOAT IS 57 FEET IN TOTAL LENGHT SO I GUESS YOU WOULD BE THINK OFF 40-45 FEET BOTH SIDES; SHE IS 2 1/2 YRS OLD SO THE BODY IS IN GOOD CONDITION BUT THE RED HAS FAIDED OF WHICH WE TRIED POLISHING HER BUT NOT TO MUCH AVAIL IN GETTING THE COLOUR BACK, SO THIS IS WHY WE THOUGHT OF HAVING HER WRAPPED AS WE HAVE SEEN ON OVER BOATS BUT WITH A COLOURFULL THEME IF POSSIBLE.

MANY THANKS FOR ANY INFO 

TREVOR

CLARETTE.png

IMG-20190627-WA0006.jpeg

• 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...
1 hour ago, Tracymaccyg4 said:

Hi Jimmy, have you had anyone wanting their boat done yet? If not me and my husband wouldn’t mind you doing our 57ft narrowboat. Never been on here before so don’t know how to private message? 

Welcome, but the topic is so old I doubt you will get a response. You can't send private messages until you have clocked up a certain  umber of posts, I think it is six but don't quote me.

I don't know your knowledge and experience, but unless it is  anew boat from a very reputable builder who has removed every scrap of rust before painting, I would be very wary.  You could easily end up with rust eating the steel away under the film and that will not look good because the rust will push the film up. We have a lot of leaks between window frame and cabin side caused by rust pushing the frame away, and they have mastic, sealer or closed cell foam between the frame and cabin side.

You will suffer cabin side scratches from vegetation and possibly impact damage to the roof corners. Either could easily puncture the film and allow rust to develop. I am sure it is far easier to promptly rub down and paint such damage than repair the film.

Edited by Tony Brooks