Does anyone want their boat Vinyl Wrapped?

Jimmiboy

Featured Posts

10 hours ago, Jimmiboy said:

Would anyone like their boat wrapped? I have been wrapping cars and vans and working in the sign industry for years. Even though I have seen a few on the Internet I live alongside the grand union and I never see any wrapped boats cruising past. It’s gaining popularity with sea going craft but talking to narrowboat owners, even though vinyl is cheaper than painting there are concerns that it isn’t as robust. Obviously it is incredibly easy to stick a new piece of vinyl over any damage and it is virtually invisible however it isn’t ideal.  But there are some fantastic products available now, that can “heal” when you warm up the scratches with a hairdryer.  They are also impervious to ultraviolet so will keep the colours vivid and stop them from fading. These products have been developed to protect supercars and their incredibly expensive paint jobs so in my opinion would do equally well protecting a narrowboat. To put my theory to the test I would be prepared to work for free and get the vinyl at cost if someone is prepared to let me wrap all (or part) or their boat. If I am wrong the vinyl can be removed leaving no damage to existing paint.

I only ever saw one Boat wrapped Jimmi and it was moored at Campbell Park Milton Keynes though is now long gone . It was Wrapped in Green which was the same as the Boats actual Colour , the only issue was that you could still see the various imperfections when the sun hit it , in fact it was quite glaring . Its interesting the comparison you draw with the wrapping of Supercars but the two cases arent comparable , you will never find a Boat with a Paint Finish equivalent to any Supercar and herein lays the Problem , the finish will always be inferior owing to the paint finish imperfections of what your wrapping

31 minutes ago, Parahandy said:

I only ever saw one Boat wrapped Jimmi and it was moored at Campbell Park Milton Keynes though is now long gone . It was Wrapped in Green which was the same as the Boats actual Colour , the only issue was that you could still see the various imperfections when the sun hit it , in fact it was quite glaring . Its interesting the comparison you draw with the wrapping of Supercars but the two cases arent comparable , you will never find a Boat with a Paint Finish equivalent to any Supercar and herein lays the Problem , the finish will always be inferior owing to the paint finish imperfections of what your wrapping

Hi Parahandy, just to address the issues you’ve raised. The comparison I made to super cars was one of protection. For example if you had a brand new paint job on your boat you could choose to protect it against UV and scratches (to a certain degree) with a paint protection film. I did also point out that the vinyl finish would only be as good as the surface underneath. Although If you had a faded boat with paint blistering, all you would need to do is scrape off loose paint, fill any hollows, sand it smooth then vinyl over it. Way less prep than painting. Obviously it will never be the same as painting a boat, but then it’s nowhere near as expensive as painting a boat. But to be fair Betamax was always better than VHS, but no one had a Betamax because it was too expensive! I would like to have seen the green boat you used as an example, because if the boat was not prepped correctly or the vinyl not applied professionally it would have obviously looked bad. Also you said it has now “long gone” which implies you saw this a good while ago, vinyl manufacturing technology has come a long way in recent years, so again the boat you saw very likely isn’t a good representation of what can be achieved when it’s done correctly.

20 minutes ago, zenataomm said:

Could you wrap my 35ft steel cruiser style with a 1:1 vinyl picture of a townclass Big Woolwich loaded with 30 tons of Cobbles.

Oh and a National Twin and an old geezer on the back slouching down by the cabin chimbly?

I actually could! A bit like this.

5E7FDE3D-7CF5-4808-B806-A7BF8984E2FA.jpeg

Edited by Jimmiboy
  • Greenie 1

Not the right timing or location for me or my boat, but for future reference, how much cheaper do you reckon it would be than painting? I've see painting quoted at £150 per foot, so £6,750 for my 45 footer. What sort of price are we talking for wrapping?

Thanks, Stuart.

1 hour ago, Galilee said:

Not the right timing or location for me or my boat, but for future reference, how much cheaper do you reckon it would be than painting? I've see painting quoted at £150 per foot, so £6,750 for my 45 footer. What sort of price are we talking for wrapping?

Thanks, Stuart.

Hi Stuart it’s hard to give an accurate figure as it would depend on which type of vinyl was used as the prices vary greatly. Also the amount of prep I needed to do would obviously be a factor. But as a ball park I would estimate it to be at least 50% less than painting.

• Greenie 1

17 hours ago, Jimmiboy said:

Hi Parahandy, just to address the issues you’ve raised. The comparison I made to super cars was one of protection. For example if you had a brand new paint job on your boat you could choose to protect it against UV and scratches (to a certain degree) with a paint protection film. I did also point out that the vinyl finish would only be as good as the surface underneath. Although If you had a faded boat with paint blistering, all you would need to do is scrape off loose paint, fill any hollows, sand it smooth then vinyl over it. Way less prep than painting. Obviously it will never be the same as painting a boat, but then it’s nowhere near as expensive as painting a boat. But to be fair Betamax was always better than VHS, but no one had a Betamax because it was too expensive! I would like to have seen the green boat you used as an example, because if the boat was not prepped correctly or the vinyl not applied professionally it would have obviously looked bad. Also you said it has now “long gone” which implies you saw this a good while ago, vinyl manufacturing technology has come a long way in recent years, so again the boat you saw very likely isn’t a good representation of what can be achieved when it’s done correctly.

I actually could! A bit like this.

5E7FDE3D-7CF5-4808-B806-A7BF8984E2FA.jpeg

Jimmi good luck with your venture , I applaud anyone getting off their rear end and giving things a go . The Green Boat I saw was around 5 years ago , in fact many of the local Boaters were keeping an eye on the end result as it was at the time a relatively new concept . Another Bloke I came across operated under the name wesprayanything I dont know if anyone else has come across this chap ? I used to have an interest in a Bodyshop and as you say preparation is the key and this takes time and effort . How far do you go in your preparation , I assume you dont show up with an orbital sander , some fertan and some wet and dry ?

11 minutes ago, Parahandy said:

Jimmi good luck with your venture , I applaud anyone getting off their rear end and giving things a go . The Green Boat I saw was around 5 years ago , in fact many of the local Boaters were keeping an eye on the end result as it was at the time a relatively new concept . Another Bloke I came across operated under the name wesprayanything I dont know if anyone else has come across this chap ? I used to have an interest in a Bodyshop and as you say preparation is the key and this takes time and effort . How far do you go in your preparation , I assume you dont show up with an orbital sander , some fertan and some wet and dry ?

Thanks for your support Parahandy....In an ideal world I won’t be doing any prep! I’m the graphics man so I only want to do the graphics. Without having done a Narrowboat it’s going to be a learning curve for me. This is why I’m offering to do some boats for free so I can see what the issues are and what end result can be achieved. 

3 minutes ago, Jimmiboy said:

Thanks for your support Parahandy....In an ideal world I won’t be doing any prep! I’m the graphics man so I only want to do the graphics. Without having done a Narrowboat it’s going to be a learning curve for me. This is why I’m offering to do some boats for free so I can see what the issues are and what end result can be achieved. 

I think your ideal marketplace are Sailaways in Grey Primer Jimmy , these will provide the best advert for your Business . Have you spoke to manufacturers such as Collingwood , your Card stuck in amongst their Paperwork would possibly save you a bit of legwork .

2 minutes ago, Parahandy said:

I think your ideal marketplace are Sailaways in Grey Primer Jimmy , these will provide the best advert for your Business . Have you spoke to manufacturers such as Collingwood , your Card stuck in amongst their Paperwork would possibly save you a bit of legwork .

I wanted to work on a couple first to

get some pics then approach the builders.

• Greenie 1

Whilst cruising today the canal was partially blocked by a fallen tree. It was passable, just about, but being a novice at this boating stuff, I misjudged and ran a smallish branch down the side which has marked the paintwork. 

Had the boat been wrapped would the wrap have been damaged?

1 hour ago, Jimmiboy said:

Without having done a Narrowboat it’s going to be a learning curve for me. This is why I’m offering to do some boats for free so I can see what the issues are and what end result can be achieved. 

My boat originally has the window frames and ventilation mushrooms painted in brass coloured powder coating. Would it be viable to have just the external window frames vinyl wrapped?

23 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

Whilst cruising today the canal was partially blocked by a fallen tree. It was passable, just about, but being a novice at this boating stuff, I misjudged and ran a smallish branch down the side which has marked the paintwork. 

Potentially, but you could easily repair it yourself with a piece of vinyl. When seagoing boats on that they are given a “repair Kit” which basically consists of spare vinyl.

19 minutes ago, cuthound said:

My boat originally has the window frames and ventilation mushrooms painted in brass coloured powder coating. Would it be viable to have just the external window frames vinyl wrapped?

It’s possible but I would need to see pictures to give you a proper opinion.

• 2 months later...
On 10/02/2020 at 10:52, Jimmiboy said:

Would anyone like their boat wrapped? I have been wrapping cars and vans and working in the sign industry for years. Even though I have seen a few on the Internet I live alongside the grand union and I never see any wrapped boats cruising past. It’s gaining popularity with sea going craft but talking to narrowboat owners, even though vinyl is cheaper than painting there are concerns that it isn’t as robust. Obviously it is incredibly easy to stick a new piece of vinyl over any damage and it is virtually invisible however it isn’t ideal.  But there are some fantastic products available now, that can “heal” when you warm up the scratches with a hairdryer.  They are also impervious to ultraviolet so will keep the colours vivid and stop them from fading. These products have been developed to protect supercars and their incredibly expensive paint jobs so in my opinion would do equally well protecting a narrowboat. To put my theory to the test I would be prepared to work for free and get the vinyl at cost if someone is prepared to let me wrap all (or part) or their boat. If I am wrong the vinyl can be removed leaving no damage to existing paint.

Hi

We were looking to repaint Spark in the Dark and change to beer theme.

Email me if you are interested in taking this further.

Regards

Alan

swig321@hotmail.co.uk

On 10/02/2020 at 12:08, ditchcrawler said:

Surly its all down to  what is under the vinyl and how good the original paint is ?

Yes, it's also down to how good the finish of the original paint is as any uneven areas will be transferred through to the vinyl.

My mate had his 60ft Colecraft vinyl wrapped for about £1,100 but it got srratched didn't last very long around the integral handrails and other hard wearing areas. He ended up peeling it off and painting it a couple of years later. However that was about 12 years ago so perhaps the vinyl technology has moved on.

On 11/02/2020 at 17:27, Nightwatch said:

Probably. I don't know how sticking a new piece of vinyl over damaged vinyl would not be noticeable?

Edited by blackrose

• 1 month later...

I think I pointed out the problems in wrapping Boats as unlike many including the OP I had seen it done and saw the problems involved . On a new build with a decent work surface and applied in the correct environment you could possibly achieve a reasonable finish , otherwise I believe you have dodged a bullet .

On 11/02/2020 at 17:31, cuthound said:

I never saw this post when you originally made it so my apologies for resurrecting it nearly four months later . I am in the process of restoring a Jaguar XK which has plastic chrome effect trim running around the doorframe , this inevitably suffers a milky discolouring over time and as its plastic coated its impossible to polish out . Replacement cost per side is around £350 which although easily sourced and done still doesnt address the underlying problem in that the same thing will inevitably happen again as the part itself is poorly made .

A Moderator friend on Jaguar Forum recommends having it wrapped in chrome effect wrap from a Company which wraps super cars , I am a bit sceptical because I once saw one on a Jaguar Dealer Forecourt which had been wrapped in Black Chrome and it was already peeling . As soon as we get back to some sort of normality I shall speak with this Super Car Bloke and keep you posted , I can easily imagine some sort of Product being available which will allow you to possibly take out your window frames and perhaps do the job yourself .

We might be interested in getting the dashboard on Naughty-Cal vinyl wrapped. It is the only thing in the cockpit that is blue now so we want to make it grey to match everything else.

It is either a choice of vinyl wrapping it or taking the whole thing out and Liam taking it to work and getting it painted.

2 hours ago, Parahandy said:

I never saw this post when you originally made it so my apologies for resurrecting it nearly four months later . I am in the process of restoring a Jaguar XK which has plastic chrome effect trim running around the doorframe , this inevitably suffers a milky discolouring over time and as its plastic coated its impossible to polish out . Replacement cost per side is around £350 which although easily sourced and done still doesnt address the underlying problem in that the same thing will inevitably happen again as the part itself is poorly made .

A Moderator friend on Jaguar Forum recommends having it wrapped in chrome effect wrap from a Company which wraps super cars , I am a bit sceptical because I once saw one on a Jaguar Dealer Forecourt which had been wrapped in Black Chrome and it was already peeling . As soon as we get back to some sort of normality I shall speak with this Super Car Bloke and keep you posted , I can easily imagine some sort of Product being available which will allow you to possibly take out your window frames and perhaps do the job yourself .

Lost count of the number of frames we have painted on XKs same as yours mate