They Dont Hang Around Long

Parahandy

Featured Posts

I notice that there is often mention of coal boats being breasted up while travelling, I can see this being done on wide canals simply to reduce the manpower needed to steer them (a breasted up butty doesn't need a 2nd person steering it), but you have to remember that for narrower sections they can be singled out.

With regard to the subject of living on boats, originally the vast majority of people living on canal boats were the people (including their family) that earned a living carrying cargo on the boats they lived on (not people using them as cheap accommodation and working in a close by town). The original canal design was for 2 boats to pass easily (without slowing down / going though trees / grounding) at any point and moored boats on the towpath to be unusual other than overnight, the situation now is that you are more likely to find boats moored breasted up and boats having to take it in turns to squeeze between the moored boats and the vegetation on the opposite side while being shouted at for moving too fast.

Edited by Jess--
  • Greenie 3

3 minutes ago, TheMenagerieAfloat said:

Entirely agree. With the exception that 'vegetation' doesn't really come into it much on the most desirable bits of canal... where there is often another moored boat (or nice concrete feature) on the other side!

If you cruise the length of the canal vegetation very much comes into it. You’re only seeing desirable from your own point of view.

Having boats moored on both sides is very much not the norm since it’s not possible in most places on the network.

JP

Edited by Captain Pegg
  • Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, TheMenagerieAfloat said:

With the exception that 'vegetation' doesn't really come into it much on the most desirable bits of canal..

Disagree - the most desirable bits of the canal system is where they are NO boats moored and NO buildings or other concrete structures, and unfortunately because of that it gets little or no maintenance - I believe its called 're-wilding'.

1 minute ago, Captain Pegg said:

If you cruise the length of the canal vegetation very much comes into it. You’re only seeing desirable from your own point of view.

JP

I was seeing desirable from a 'crowdedness of free moorings' and 'expense of allocated moorings' point of view.

Just wait until I tell people I 'work from boat' on occasion and see how much they love that... Canal spotting ticklist dropped down side of 'I made it on a course' rope fender in apoplexy... ?

5 minutes ago, TheMenagerieAfloat said:

I was seeing desirable from a 'crowdedness of free moorings' and 'expense of allocated moorings' point of view.

Just wait until I tell people I 'work from boat' on occasion and see how much they love that... Canal spotting ticklist dropped down side of 'I made it on a course' rope fender in apoplexy... ?

Have you been on those mushrooms again ?

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Ange said:

(snip). ... and coming under attack from @nicknormanappparently enjoying the areas you're travelling through means you're not undertaking bone fida navigation.

Hey ho

That wasn't the first or last time he attacked me - I never understood what I'd done to deserve it.

Baffled and hurt :(

Well, you're the wrong sex, for a start ... :rolleyes::cheers:

11 hours ago, Parahandy said:

Roy Wood... I believe he lives in Uttoxeter

Out in the countryside in fact, about 11 miles outside Uttoxeter in a very private house, in the same area as Timothy Dalton and Tim Brooke-Taylor!  I made a video with him some years back, explaining how to do home recording. 

11 hours ago, Parahandy said:

... to hear of Carl Wayne , Bev Bevan , Jeff Lynne , Jim Lea and numerous others...

UB40, Duran Duran, ELO, Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, Dexys Midnight Runners, Moody Blues, Led Zeppelin...

9 hours ago, WotEver said:

Out in the countryside in fact, about 11 miles outside Uttoxeter in a very private house, in the same area as Timothy Dalton and Tim Brooke-Taylor!  I made a video with him some years back, explaining how to do home recording. 

Thats fascinating , Jeff Lynne from Shard End ended up in Walshs Manor near Meriden which he later sold to Robin Campbell of UB40 , why hasn't Roy Wood been Knighted ?

3 minutes ago, roland elsdon said:

Sorry i may have missed something being a newby but what is a mushroom polisher?

It was directed at me, and I don't have a clue. 

I even did a google search of 'slang dictionaries' as I'm known for not being up to date with modern terminology, but could only find this item sold by Halfords

479140?w=740&h=555&qlt=75&fmt=webp&v=1

Draper Mushroom Polishing Buff

This 100% cotton Draper Mushroom Polishing Buff is great for reaching areas not as accessible with standard buffing such as wheels, rims and recessed areas in intake manifolds. The fast effective buff is suitable for polishing all types of metal surfaces and contoured shapes.

Draper Mushroom Polishing Buff

This 100% cotton Draper Mushroom Polishing Buff is great for reaching areas not as accessible with standard buffing such as wheels, rims and recessed areas in intake manifolds. The fast effective buff is suitable for polishing all types of metal surfaces and contoured shapes.

2 minutes ago, roland elsdon said:

Oh. Ive been doing that on my boats since 1980 and its never been commented on before. Thought pride in your possessions was a positive attribute.

Each to his own Roland , its not my number one priority though I have polished occasionally and a very nice job it leaves too . I did lacquer on a previous Boat but was very disappointed with the durability of the finish

Yep lacquer is a waste of time. but I am surprised that someone else is so uptight as to apply it to you as a means of abuse.

Wonder if they are aware that boatmen and their wives used to keep their boats spick and span , because they had little bright in their lives, and didnt want to be described as dirty by house inhabitants.

I was brought up near back to backs where the houseowners used to polish door knobs and white the steps.

its called tradition i think..

2 minutes ago, roland elsdon said:

Yep lacquer is a waste of time. but I am surprised that someone else is so uptight as to apply it to you as a means of abuse.

Wonder if they are aware that boatmen and their wives used to keep their boats spick and span , because they had little bright in their lives, and didnt want to be described as dirty by house inhabitants.

I was brought up near back to backs where the houseowners used to polish door knobs and white the steps.

I’m not sure some posters on here and particularly in this thread really get tradition....sadly that view seems to be getting more and more common especially on the cut...thankfully those of us who enjoy it might just keep it alive. 

4 minutes ago, roland elsdon said:

I dont think it was abuse , probably just searching for something to say , they have only been afloat 12 weeks after all  ? Funny you mention the whitening of the steps because I had exactly the same upbringing , after the War there was a sense of pride of ownership and a thankfulness to be alive thats largely non existent now

10 minutes ago, frangar said:

I’m not sure some posters on here and particularly in this thread really get tradition....sadly that view seems to be getting more and more common especially on the cut...thankfully those of us who enjoy it might just keep it alive. 

I think you are correct about that , is it an envy thing ? I dont know

• Greenie 1