They Dont Hang Around Long

Parahandy

Featured Posts

For me their are a few issues with the boat the engine 90 HP!!!! why? and the size of the generator as well just to big, I viewed the boat at Crick but didnt vote for it just to cream for me and I didnt like the bow, I did suggest at the time more solar and smaller generator would have been better. I also said I didnt like the square stern but het everybody is different. My widebeam is up north and the waterways were designed for much bigger boats than mine so it a round peg in a round hole for myself and the thin boats are welcome even if they look a bit odd amongst the proper size boats.........................................?

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, peterboat said:

For me their are a few issues with the boat the engine 90 HP!!!! why? and the size of the generator as well just to big, I viewed the boat at Crick but didnt vote for it just to cream for me and I didnt like the bow, I did suggest at the time more solar and smaller generator would have been better. I also said I didnt like the square stern but het everybody is different. My widebeam is up north and the waterways were designed for much bigger boats than mine so it a round peg in a round hole for myself and the thin boats are welcome even if they look a bit odd amongst the proper size boats.........................................?

I notice it has a Barrus Shire Engine Peter , how are they as Engines , it seems for ages that Beta Marine were the favoured method for many when it came to propulsion though that could simply be down to the Manufacturer rather than the Buyer .

1 minute ago, Parahandy said:

I notice it has a Barrus Shire Engine Peter , how are they as Engines , it seems for ages that Beta Marine were the favoured method for many when it came to propulsion though that could simply be down to the Manufacturer rather than the Buyer .

Yanmar mate so very good, but way to big for that job 70HP would have been more than enough. Mine had a Barrus Shire before I converted to electric nothing wrong with it at all and the chap in France that bought it is very pleased with it

1 minute ago, peterboat said:

Yanmar mate so very good, but way to big for that job 70HP would have been more than enough. Mine had a Barrus Shire before I converted to electric nothing wrong with it at all and the chap in France that bought it is very pleased with it

I didn't know that , thanks Pater

7 minutes ago, peterboat said:

My Yanmar digger started 'spluttering' the other day and I guessed it was fuel starvation so, for the 1st time in 15 years I changed the filter (all sorted now)

I suppose I'd better start thinking about an oil change and filter as that was last done in 2005 as well.

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, TheMenagerieAfloat said:

Nothing wrong with over-specc ing if it makes you happy / you enjoy winning awards. 

My floating flat boat has a more powerful engine than my cruising boat. Doesn't mean you have to use it! 

I get you but its pointless you would need way more than 90 HP to go faster than say a 65HP could do! So diesels like to work hard and that 90HP isnt going to, far better something smaller correctly propped working harder and running way cleaner

9 minutes ago, TheMenagerieAfloat said:

Nothing wrong with over-specc ing if it makes you happy / you enjoy winning awards. 

My floating flat boat has a more powerful engine than my cruising boat. Doesn't mean you have to use it! 

I am 'over-engined'.

I have twin 150hp, de-rated to 120hp each

At 5 Knots I am using 28hp per engine.

It is nice to have a bit in reserve.

50 minutes ago, TheMenagerieAfloat said:

What a wonderful Forum this is , You have been Boating since September when you didn't even know what a CRT License was and now you are the font of all knowledge . Quite incredible .

Edited by Parahandy
  • Greenie 1
  • Haha 2

25 minutes ago, Parahandy said:

What a wonderful Forum this is , You have been Boating since September when you didn't even know what a CRT License was and now you are the font of all knowledge . Quite incredible .

What a charmer...

12 minutes ago, frangar said:

He has a point.....

He has an opinion that new boaters don't do well in other than pointy boats. 

It doesn't take years of experience of boating to know that some people enjoy their gadgets (bokats/cars/kitchen flipping blenders, it doesn't matter) over-spec'd. 

That is a human observation, not a boating one. 

And anything more than 2hp is over spec'd for a canal boat anyway. 

I ask plenty of basic questions on here and am enjoying learning. Feeling a little defensive of other newish boaters doesn't make me knowledgeable about narrowboats (and certainly not about widebeams). But I tend not to pick on other people's boats (or cars, or kitchen blenders...) and didn't think it was a particularly friendly thing to do. 

Edited by TheMenagerieAfloat

11 minutes ago, TheMenagerieAfloat said:

And anything more than 2hp is over spec'd for a canal boat anyway. 

I think it'd need a bit more than 2hp.

A 100amp alternator would need the best part of 2hp alone, and that's without even turning the gearbox / prop shaft / prop.

Have you noticed how much your engine revs drop when you turn on the electric toaster ?

Edited by Alan de Enfield

5 minutes ago, TheMenagerieAfloat said:

It was a 'boats used to be pulled by horses' joke. I was allowing for a canal horse being a bit more powerful than the ones they calibrated on. 

One can only respond to the information as provided.

Some folk (new to boating) may think that 2hp is more than sufficient, when a boats towing capacity is estimated by taking the fact that a boat can tow 10 tons for every horsepower of the engine.

The problem is getting it moving, and then getting it to stop - think of the 'Worlds strongest man' challenge pulling an Articulated lorry.

I do understand all the criticism of wide beam boats but having been onbthe Severn, G&S and the upper Avon last summer, I totally understand why people have them. If I wanted my boat on the Sheffield and other northern canals (near where I live) and wanted to use it as a floating home, I'd have a wide beam tomorrow. I love my narrowboat and love travelling on it, so it's moored in the Midlands and I cruise regularly.

It's horses for courses......live and let live, enjoy your boating or just floating.....

• Greenie 1

7 minutes ago, jeddlad said:

I do understand all the criticism of wide beam boats but having been onbthe Severn, G&S and the upper Avon last summer, I totally understand why people have them. If I wanted my boat on the Sheffield and other northern canals (near where I live) and wanted to use it as a floating home, I'd have a wide beam tomorrow. I love my narrowboat and love travelling on it, so it's moored in the Midlands and I cruise regularly.

It's horses for courses......live and let live, enjoy your boating or just floating.....

Spot on. Fat boats are vastly superior in every way if in the correct location. 

Selling a boat doesn.t have to mean that it was a mistake.   We spent 4 years and covered a lot of the system in our Hudson tug then sold it to go back to a sailboat in the Med and other things.   Since retiring we have had 4 boats, 4 motorhomes and 3 houses and have another small narrowboat in build now.   We are all different and some of us like plenty of variety and get bored doing the same thing all the time, however much we have enjoyed it.   

9 minutes ago, JamesFrance said:

Selling a boat doesn.t have to mean that it was a mistake.   We spent 4 years and covered a lot of the system in our Hudson tug then sold it to go back to a sailboat in the Med and other things.   Since retiring we have had 4 boats, 4 motorhomes and 3 houses and have another small narrowboat in build now.   We are all different and some of us like plenty of variety and get bored doing the same thing all the time, however much we have enjoyed it.   

Yep, true. I have owned 8 liveaboard boats, including one of those Udsons. My widebeam was vastly superior to live on whilst oop norff and on the Trent. I am now on number 8 another narrow simply because the eeejuts who built lots of the canals built daft locks!! Boats are like cars innitt, there isnt one size fits all and views and times change and more specificaly locations. If staying on such as the Trent and the big commercial waterways like the A and C a narrowboat is daft innitt. I bought myself a scabby old motorhome last year and its fun. i will not be going back to lumpy water where I started my boating as swmbo does not like it.

• Greenie 1

9 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

This is the nub of it. The GU was designed and built for narrow boats, but is being filled up with widebeams by people with little or no interest in boating. People whose only or main concern is to obtain accommodation as similar as possible to a house, but cheaper.

Some people in houses have little/no interest in interior design or buildings maintenance. Similarly many people in 'park homes' have little interest in caravanning. It is quite difficult to feel sympathy with the leisure boater when the GU was designed and built for trade and workers' accommodation (in boatman's cabins), not for boating as a pass-time... Do all the 'proper' boating-interested boaters paint over their scumbling becasue it is all about making their boats too similar to a pleasant place to live? Burn their crochet on their stoves becasue pretty needlework is too homely in the context of 'serious' boating? There is a longer tradition of making cheap homes as nice as possible on the canals than there is of swooshing (or not swooshing, becasue washes and all that) around them for fun.