They Dont Hang Around Long

Parahandy

Featured Posts

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Award-winning-62-x-12-Burscough-Widebeam-boat/114097228527?_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20180816085401%26meid%3Dc9da1cc7b113427c9155b7ed87e8e8d7%26pid%3D100970%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D6%26mehot%3Dpp%26sd%3D174177754562%26itm%3D114097228527%26pmt%3D0%26noa%3D1%26pg%3D2380057&_trksid=p2380057.c100970.m5481&_trkparms=pageci%3A1d901b2d-4bd2-11ea-9b90-74dbd180a7b4|parentrq%3A2de04ec91700ac3c6a9554ceffe3c0d4|iid%3A1

Back in what seems like the Old Days now , I knew a couple of Boaters , Members of the Local IWA who flocked up to Glascote Basin to purchase Boats from Steve Hudson , firstly in order to be able to do so they clearly had a few quid but what I was completely ignorant of at the time was these Peoples genuine affinity with what they were purchasing . In other words they had been around the Canals for a bit , had done their research and decided that purchasing a Steve Hudson Boat encompassed all that they wanted from a Boat . I say this because these Boats some 15 to 20 years later are still with their original Owners and clearly much cherished .

The Boat in the link above I came across when it was first launched , I was moored up by Stoke Bruerne and there it sat Brand New and owned by a Pleasant Couple who were clearly new to the Boating Scene , isn't everyone nowadays ? Clearly a few quid had been expended on this Burscough Widebeam , I couldn't offer any advice because firstly I had never owned a Widebeam nor would I and secondly I had never heard of the Maker . It did however look a handful to be operated by People with little experience and when they subsequently moved it the Task was more akin to a Military Operation than Leisure Boating . I bid them farewell as you do and immediately thought of all those Continuous Moorers they would surely encounter further South , imagine trying to use the Water Point at Peartree Bridge or attempting that Tricky Bridge just North of Fenny Stratford Moorings , rather you than me I thought as I watched the wife perch precariously by the Bow .

Well apparently they have done a decent bit of cruising since with the Boat according to the advert now being down in Devizes and to my mind at least , incredibly up for Sale . 

It seems to me that For Sale Widebeams are everywhere just now , even highly specced ones such as this just dont seem to engender the same sort of longevity of ownership that a Narrowboat does and I wonder why that is , is it down to a different type of Owner perhaps encouraged by Tim and Pru to try life afloat , inevitably they buy a completely unsuitable Boat and soon get rid , alternatively of course it could simply be down to having a few quid seeking some enjoyment and not much caring . I wish the Couple well and hope to see them again perhaps on a nice Narrowboat , but at £145k and after such a short ownership I would be questioning my Sanity but nowadays such sums and practices are relatively commonplace .

What a nasty little green eyed monster thread.

One doesn't require a flipping apprenticeship to have a boat. 

145k is really rather modest for a two bedroom home (which apparently this is). 

And no-one is required to cruise their residence more than CRT specify. 

Peoples wants and needs change. No shame in trying something and finding it doesn't suit. No shame in something suiting for a year but no longer. 

• Greenie 1

30 minutes ago, TheMenagerieAfloat said:

More a case of schadenfreude I'd suggest than jealousy. There is a body of opinion amongst old skool boaters that such large boats are not good for the canals. The canals are for boating, not as a 'land grab' to put the largest possible boat in and move it the smallest possible distance and use it as a house. An abuse of the system, some say, and the OP appears to be gloating about how this went wrong for this particular couple.

Edited by Mike the Boilerman
  • Greenie 3

26 minutes ago, TheMenagerieAfloat said:

Peoples wants and needs change. No shame in trying something and finding it doesn't suit. No shame in something suiting for a year but no longer. 

Sorry but you have totally lost me over this green eyed monster angle , I was merely commenting on the amount of these quite often expensive wide beams that very quickly come back to the Marketplace in comparison to equally expensive Narrowboats which for some reason tend to stay longer with their initial Owner . By all means offer your comments and even tell me that I am totally wrong and talking rubbish but why cite nastiness as the reason for my Posting . I have met the Owners who I am on record as saying are decent People , why would I want to be nasty to them ?

28 minutes ago, TheMenagerieAfloat said:

I think that is a bit strong!

Parahandy's point I think is that the original owners plan didn't go to plan. The planned to go motoring.....and didn't. 

There seem to be lots of peeps like this. They buy a wide beam as they do little research and the find it unusable. We met a couple a few years back at Wigrams Turn marina with years experience of sailing. The had just taken delivery of a brand new, very expensive widebeam, built locally and were quite outspoken on their plans to travel the network exploring everywhere. How much research had they done? Two years later the boat had not moved, except the once per month trip to the pump out. How many people are buying these things with the expectation of widely cruising them and the realising that it just isn't possible on many parts of the network. Our marina has at least 10 of them.......and we are on a narrow canal.

6 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

More a case of schadenfreude I'd suggest than jealousy. There is a body of opinion amongst old skool boaters that such large boats are not good for the canals. The canals are for boating, not as a 'land grab' to put the largest possible boat in and move it the smallest possible distance and use it as a house. An abuse of the system, some say, and the OP appears to be gloating about how this went wrong for this particular couple.

You are talking utter rubbish Mike .

1 minute ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

You started it....

I started a totally innocent thread for the reasons I have been completely honest and open about and sadly the usual contortionists jump in and twist both the motive for doing so and the words which are actually written . Someone will no doubt be along in a minute alleging I am in league with the Owner to give his For Sale Advert wider coverage and this is the actual motive for my thread . I did think it would be you actually .

• Greenie 3

7 minutes ago, Parahandy said:

I started a totally innocent thread

Yeah, right.

You have a track record of starting threads on controversial subjects over on the political board because you get off on creating conflict. Now the politics board has been hidden from view you've come over here to continue your hobby. 

Quelle surprise, to paraphrase that nice Mr Clary. 

• Greenie 2

1 minute ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Yeah, right.

You have a track record of starting threads on controversial subjects over on the political board because you get off on creating conflict. Now the politics board has been hidden from view you've come over here to continue your hobby. 

Quelle surprise, to paraphrase that nice Mr Clary. 

Point me to the Conflict in anything I have written in this Thread Mike ? Where you are concerned Mike Its a bit like the old Granny used to say " what they lack in height they make up for in spite " ? Im off now to meet one of the Tenants for a coffee , enjoy your morning .

• Unimpressed 1

I doubt that the boat being wide has much to do with how much cruising non-itinerant people do.

Some people are natural travellers and some are not. Some become travellers when life throws them a curve ball or a wake up call. Likewise people become stationary at those times.

For people moving from a house / flat to a boat a widebeam could well be a 'gateway' boat - they may not be ready for living in a 6foot tube. As with any lifestyle change it may/may not pan out as envisaged. Doesn't make it a failure. 

26 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

You have a track record of starting threads on controversial subjects over on the political board because you get off on creating conflict

This isnt the political board and I didnt see any conflict in the original post.

I'm quite surprised they are selling up so soon as until last September when they finally did the Thames, they were enjoying it all immensely.

I hope lifes nasty bits havnt ruined their plans.

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, Parahandy said:

Apparently a friend spoke to them last night and they are off to Tour the USA for a year or so in an RV . Upon their return they intend to commission another Boat .

A 6 foot 10" wide one probably.  ;)

• Haha 1