Hot shower all year round

big d

Featured Posts

10 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

Here we go again!!!!!!!

Hope its a large wide beam with loads of roof space and money.

I have that and it won't work in winter Tony, 4.6kw of solar in winter gives me enough electricity to do most domestic things but heating is a big step to far! My Rayburn heats and provides cooking, I could fit an oil version but that doesn't achieve anything as it probably produces more pollution than anthracite and wood?

32 minutes ago, peterboat said:

I have that and it won't work in winter Tony, 4.6kw of solar in winter gives me enough electricity to do most domestic things but heating is a big step to far! My Rayburn heats and provides cooking, I could fit an oil version but that doesn't achieve anything as it probably produces more pollution than anthracite and wood?

Tell me about it. Your setup suits your life style and you got it worked out from the start making the required compromises..

Other posts from Crazy Dave intimates he is still in the "I am going to have a floating cottage" stage of planning and reality has yet to come into play. Maybe after he has ruined a few battery sets he will realise. I am not even sure he is capable of looking after lithiums and suspect he is likely to constantly discharge to nearly zero capacity but you will know far more about the effects of that than I do.

Edited by Tony Brooks
change OP to Crazy Dave

14 hours ago, crazydave said:

at to making all you need in the summer so loss of output doesn't matter - well I guess that depends on what you are running...

If you’re going to find the slight efficiency decrease in the summer to be critical what are you going to do in the winter when the output is <10% (and on many days 0%) and you also need heating?

9 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

Tell me about it. Your setup suits your life style and you got it worked out from the start making the required compromises..

Other posts from Crazy Dave intimates he is still in the "I am going to have a floating cottage" stage of planning and reality has yet to come into play. Maybe after he has ruined a few battery sets he will realise. I am not even sure he is capable of looking after lithiums and suspect he is likely to constantly discharge to nearly zero capacity but you will know far more about the effects of that than I do.

I'm working it out, things have moved on a lot since I first considered boat life nearly 30 years ago but the girlfriend turned her nose up at it - odd as the now ex is boat mad and has been for a good ten years now. back then - no internet, no phones, no laptops, no modern contrivances and having left the army I was used to living with very little as my life consisted of two personal holdalls and my deployment kit.

but there's no point in having to give up everything just to live on a boat full time. I'd go for a widebeam if I didn't want to explorer the network at a slower pace so might even end up doing both.

I like to cook so will kit it out accordingly as the time I have spent on the cut with friends, enemies and scouts by the dozen the kitchen is by far the worst planned out area - doing the two pennine rings in two weeks on a 50 foot shire cruiser was hard work and great fun but a buggr to cater for six without two slow cookers - one of which had a timer for making the porridge, I will probably end up with an on demand wisper genny setup, having read as much on van life as boat life (and having an interest in disaster recovery from an early age when I was planning to survive triffids and A bombs instead of viruses and zombies as they do now.)  I know that there is awful lot you can do to avoid being stuck in a world of twee interiors wishing the oven worked better and would an oil burner be less work than the wood one. there are ways around everything. I have spent the past few years working out how big a battery bank I would need to build to run a three bed detached house and whether to create separate low voltage rings  to reduce the inverter and power adapter drag. I have been in boats with fully equipped electric everything so if I end up with more batteries than U357 and a dustbin sized thorium rector to power it all then so be it.!!,

I have even gone through the design theory with an engineer friend on making a height or length adjustable boat to stretch a 57 to a 70 foot for extra sleeping/living accommodation and even make a boat 4 foot wider in the mid section which we worked out was more practical and cheaper to do. the hydraulics or worm gear and kit would act as ballast - I am what they call a wrong box thinker. but growing up watching wilf lunn on the telly might have had some influence.

while I can live on a boring boat I particularly don't want to. 

29 minutes ago, crazydave said:

I have spent the past few years working out how big a battery bank I would need to build to run a three bed detached house...

The size of the bank is largely irrelevant. It’s how you’ll generate your daily usage that should be exercising your mind. 

56 minutes ago, crazydave said:

I'm working it out, things have moved on a lot since I first considered boat life nearly 30 years ago but the girlfriend turned her nose up at it - odd as the now ex is boat mad and has been for a good ten years now. back then - no internet, no phones, no laptops, no modern contrivances and having left the army I was used to living with very little as my life consisted of two personal holdalls and my deployment kit.

but there's no point in having to give up everything just to live on a boat full time. I'd go for a widebeam if I didn't want to explorer the network at a slower pace so might even end up doing both.

I like to cook so will kit it out accordingly as the time I have spent on the cut with friends, enemies and scouts by the dozen the kitchen is by far the worst planned out area - doing the two pennine rings in two weeks on a 50 foot shire cruiser was hard work and great fun but a buggr to cater for six without two slow cookers - one of which had a timer for making the porridge, I will probably end up with an on demand wisper genny setup, having read as much on van life as boat life (and having an interest in disaster recovery from an early age when I was planning to survive triffids and A bombs instead of viruses and zombies as they do now.)  I know that there is awful lot you can do to avoid being stuck in a world of twee interiors wishing the oven worked better and would an oil burner be less work than the wood one. there are ways around everything. I have spent the past few years working out how big a battery bank I would need to build to run a three bed detached house and whether to create separate low voltage rings  to reduce the inverter and power adapter drag. I have been in boats with fully equipped electric everything so if I end up with more batteries than U357 and a dustbin sized thorium rector to power it all then so be it.!!,

I have even gone through the design theory with an engineer friend on making a height or length adjustable boat to stretch a 57 to a 70 foot for extra sleeping/living accommodation and even make a boat 4 foot wider in the mid section which we worked out was more practical and cheaper to do. the hydraulics or worm gear and kit would act as ballast - I am what they call a wrong box thinker. but growing up watching wilf lunn on the telly might have had some influence.

while I can live on a boring boat I particularly don't want to. 

I do get your drift, I am ex Royal Signals and am on my second boat, so my advice to you is measure twice cut once because it will save you a lot of grief with your boat! I am not talking the Mickey here it's just what most of us beaters have learned over the years 

As a new update to my original post, I had the boards up all day as my exploratory examination of the calirifer meant digging under the bed and size 13 goon I am stood on a pipe and cracked a elbow, water everywhere in floor frames but now fixed and on positive note the amount of black shit that came out of pipes means my bathroom rad is now 500x hotter. Lesson is if you want to sort heating for summer, leave it till summer!