VNC

MtB

Featured Posts

I have suggested several times over the years (since we migrated to this Invision software) that there are better providers out there, one which is used on a number of forums that I frequent is 'Vbulletin' which Rich (and others) have agreed is a far superior system, but 'costs more than we can pay'.

I do not ever recall a 'down-day' or any of the problems we get with 'upgrades' on the Vbulletin forums in the last 5 years (or more)

Maybe it is time to have a subscription and for it to be a members forum only.

Just a suggestion as one way to pay for it, but, having said that, non of the Vbulletin forums I am a member of are 'subscription membership.. It is somehow funded without advertising.

16 minutes ago, john6767 said:

I believe what causes you to see all the duplicate entries is the setting for “Show me”.  You need to change that to be “content items only” then you will just see one entry for a thread.  

Thank you, this has fixed the multiple thread entries for me too.

Now the forum is useable for me at least, again. 

What a shame we have to figure this stuff out for ourselves. 

Oh, I take that back. I now have 4 entries for this thread. Better than 15 though!

Nope, its gone back up to 15. DOH!!!

Ah sussed the problem. My newly saved VNC is not being entered into the "View New Content" link, top right of every page.

1 minute ago, buccaneer66 said:

You have to keep changing the filter it goes back to showing everything

Yes, this. The new VNC created needs to be inserted into our VNC links on each page, somehow.

WHAT a fuck up.

I use a bookmark (favourite) for the web page and have it on the Bookmark Bar. I needed to delete my old bookmark and save the new VNC one. If I click View New Content top right on the web page I get the multiple entries again and also lose the politics threads. If I click the bookmark I get the saved changes.

15 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Thank you, this has fixed the multiple thread entries for me too.

Now the forum is useable for me at least, again. 

What a shame we have to figure this stuff out for ourselves. 

Oh, I take that back. I now have 4 entries for this thread. Better than 15 though!

Nope, its gone back up to 15. DOH!!!

You have to create your own custom filter, and then make that your default one for the changes that you make to stick.

8 minutes ago, journeyperson said:

I use a bookmark (favourite) for the web page and have it on the Bookmark Bar. I needed to delete my old bookmark and save the new VNC one. If I click View New Content top right on the web page I get the multiple entries again and also lose the politics threads. If I click the bookmark I get the saved changes.

This.

Set up your activity stream the way you like it and save it as a bookmark.  Then use the bookmark and ignore the VNC link.

Just now, David Mack said:

This.

Set up your activity stream the way you like it and save it as a bookmark.  Then use the bookmark and ignore the VNC link.

What’s wrong with setting your stream as the default then you don’t need to mess with bookmarks

Just now, buccaneer66 said:

That fixs it, although its such a small button its easy to miss.

Yep not obvious is it!

15 minutes ago, buccaneer66 said:

I agree Alan Vbulletin is very good and so is PHPBB.

Yes, I'm on a PHBB forum also, its not a very busy forum but it seems quite stable.

One of the Invision forums has many more members and many more posts than this forum and it is really stable and user friendly.

Threads
Posts 4,554,064
Most users online 11,494
Members 116,902

Active Members 4,759
Active members post at least one post 3 days per week

CWDF Forum statistics

Members 27,275
Active members ?????? (150 - 200 ?)
Topics 99,934
Posts 2,390,286

Actually I'm too tired to try and find the stuff I need to find to be able to work out what it is I need to do to make it legible. 

I can't help thinking it would have been easier to just get rid of the politics section rather than go through all this hoohah. It's not like we need it any more anyway. 

1 minute ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

There has been a ‘site improvement’ tonight. Do you like it??

I seem to have the whole of this thread but all jumbled up on the VNC - which now seems to not be the VNC anymore. Funny stuff software, innit. But I can see that people have posted screen shots, so I guess that the answers to how you fix it, but I can't make them make much sense just now. 

5 minutes ago, Tumshie said:

Actually I'm too tired to try and find the stuff I need to find to be able to work out what it is I need to do to make it legible. 

I can't help thinking it would have been easier to just get rid of the politics section rather than go through all this hoohah. It's not like we need it any more anyway. 

I seem to have the whole of this thread but all jumbled up on the VNC - which now seems to not be the VNC anymore. Funny stuff software, innit. But I can see that people have posted screen shots, so I guess that the answers to how you fix it, but I can't make them make much sense just now. 

all you need do is set aside a couple of hours tomorrow to trawl through all the threads on it, and bingo you’ll be back to how it was before being ‘improved’!! 

Don't know what folk here are fiddling about with. Mines no different from always, I've not got all the multiple VNC threads. All that's happened to me is I have no VNC when not signed in and that's no problem. I think folk are pressing things they shouldn't.

2 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Since the last software improvement update about 12 months ago there have been a large number of threads asking the question 'why multiple posts showing in VNC ?'

Rich has replied each time (last time today) that this is a function of the software, he has spoken to the provider and they have said "it is supposed to do that".

Indeed, the behaviour is more prominent when there's a popular topic such as the ones related to VNC, ironically. Rather frustrating from my point of view as I have not changed anything to do with that!