VNC

MtB

Featured Posts

Just now, Alan de Enfield said:

Rich has replied each time (last time today) that this is a function of the software, he has spoken to the provider and they have said "it is supposed to do that".

So why has it got SO much worse tonight?

You're reminding me of the Chinese govt blaming Dr Li!

3 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Since the last software improvement update about 12 months ago there have been a large number of threads asking the question 'why multiple posts showing in VNC ?'

Rich has replied each time (last time today) that this is a function of the software, he has spoken to the provider and they have said "it is supposed to do that".

Well as all the other forums I use can avoid this issue so how about finding a user friendly provider, there’s a lot of them about. 

There are 25 threads showing on my new content page fifteen are the VCN thread.

There are only 4 different threads showing on that page

It is SUPPOSED to do that?

In who’s world?

Edited by Dyertribe
And another thing.....

Just now, Dyertribe said:

There are 25 threads showing on my new content page fifteen are the VCN thread.

It is SUPPOSED to do that?

In who’s world?

Are they all the same thread, there seems to have been many VNC threads started in the last few hours. Perhaps a mod could merge them all.

1 minute ago, Rob-M said:

Are they all the same thread, there seems to have been many VNC threads started in the last few hours. Perhaps a mod could merge them all.

Yes, it is the same thread, I haven’t lumped the other threads on the same subject together. That would make things even worse!!

Even worse, I've just realised that if you click on one unread contribution to a thread it doesn’t take you to your last read entry so missing a large chunk of a conversation is very possible. If it was a thread asking advice on an issue you run a real risk of missing the one entry which answered your question

You couldn’t make it up. 

Participating in a forum is supposed to be informative and/or fun. This is running the risk of becoming neither. 

1 hour ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Just start a new thread. That will put a rapid stop to all this muppetry of 'improving' stuff that already works fine. 

Oi!

Less of the slur against muppets worldwide!

My VNC is rubbish as well tonite. Great up until then.

1 minute ago, Dr Bob said:

Oi!

Less of the slur against muppets worldwide!

My VNC is rubbish as well tonite. Great up until then.

That's because it's been 'improved', without asking anyone here if they want it 'improved'.

• Greenie 1

Its so very odd. One change that is important to so many gets a poll, the result of which is ignored for a year roughly before being implimented, then another change is imposed that nobody wants or asked for, with NO consultation and NO notice. 

Worse than odd, truly weird. 

• Greenie 2

The new VNC command seems to point to https://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?/discover/260/ .

The VNC legacy command points to https://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?/discover/754/

I have a bookmark on this phone which points to https://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?/discover/15/. I can't recall exactly where this came from. It may date from the last time VNC was messed up and instructions on creating your own bespoke Activity Stream were circulated. Its worked for me and hasn't changed with the latest changes.

Not going to get involved in the ins and outs of this. Suffice to say that all I have now on the "recent threads" or "recent posts" or whatever it used to be called is VNC,VNC,VNC. As I rarely actually log in I cannot change anything and as it stands it doesn't work.

• Greenie 1

I believe what causes you to see all the duplicate entries is the setting for “Show me”.  You need to change that to be “content items only” then you will just see one entry for a thread.  Perhaps the setting of the default a VNC one has been changed to be “Content items, comments and reviews”, but it does not seem to be a useful setting.  The way round it is to have your own stream definition and set that to be the default and it will replace the default link.  The sensible approach is to have a useful stream as the default one, rather than everyone having to change it.

1 minute ago, Dyertribe said:

This appears to be the “Poundland” software. I’m not asking for Waitrose, but surely there’s an Ikea, Aldi or Lidl version?

You can get worse, the last I used where I was site admin was utter pants, but I was stuck with it as the site owners had paid for it.

2 minutes ago, john6767 said:

I believe what causes you to see all the duplicate entries is the setting for “Show me”.  You need to change that to be “content items only” then you will just see one entry for a thread.  Perhaps the setting of the default a VNC one has been changed to be “Content items, comments and reviews”, but it does not seem to be a useful setting.  The way round it is to have your own stream definition and set that to be the default and it will replace the default link.  The sensible approach is to have a useful stream as the default one, rather than everyone having to change it.

That setting certainly makes a big difference

vnc.JPG