Changes to VNC

RichM

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, Arthur Marshall said:

And so have I, and I still can if I want to, but mostly I just want the boating topics in my viewing list. Too easy to get drawn into arguments with right wing nutters - I quite like a rational discussion, but you can't discuss anything with those who just quote the Daily Mail as if it were holy writ. Now I can just dip in every now and then for a laugh.

It's a very welcome change.

Why do you mention a newspaper? They are all comics of one bias or another so not worth reading and never have been. 

1 minute ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

This is standard for this forum, remember?

I am a dinosaur on pooter but pressed on the correct things and got it set up how I want it. Quite pleased that it's easily sorted. 

11 minutes ago, RichM said:

Sorry to be frank but if you don't like the default VNC, you can use the old one and if you don't like that either, you can create your own custom one right here. Not quite sure what the issue is - nobody is forced to use the default stream.

I’ve clicked on the link you provided and I cannot see what preferences I need so that I see any new content, JUST THE ONE ENTRY and still see the thread (just not in bold) If I have contributed to it,,

That is my issue and I hazard a guess the issue on more than a few forum members when they suss out that the forum has gone to hell in a handcart

16 minutes ago, Dyertribe said:

Apparently there isn’t a problem I’m just thick

So am I. I haven't the faintest idea what has happened, or why, or if I need to fix anything.  I've just lost a load of threads I was looking at and got VNC instead

1 minute ago, sueb said:

So am I. I haven't the faintest idea what has happened, or why, or if I need to fix anything.  I've just lost a load of threads I was looking at and got VNC instead

Join the club, its supposed to look like this I’m told Rich can’t see what I’m complaining about  

The provider says this is how it is supposed to be. 

1 minute ago, Dyertribe said:

Join the club, its supposed to look like this I’m told Rich can’t see what I’m complaining about  

The provider says this is how it is supposed to be. 

Mrs-M has just shown me the forum on her iPad, she doesn't bother signing in, and I can see what the fuss is about. Her default view new content is a shambles as it is full of all the individual posts from all the VNC threads.

The custom activity stream I am using isn't excluding the political threads, I just don't read them. I don't get duplicate entries for threads but I do only see unread threads.

4 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

Mrs-M has just shown me the forum on her iPad, she doesn't bother signing in, and I can see what the fuss is about. Her default view new content is a shambles as it is full of all the individual posts from all the VNC threads.

The custom activity stream I am using isn't excluding the political threads, I just don't read them. I don't get duplicate entries for threads but I do only see unread threads.

It’s not user friendly is it?

19 minutes ago, sueb said:

Go and use thunderboat, where stuff just works and they don't keep breaking it.

1 minute ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

No, there are people there I despise and don't want to be involved with in any way. I was just suggesting it to Sue.

But there are also people you like there too. And everyone is welcome, I ignore the plonkers mostly. 

Edited by Dyertribe

14 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

I think that is the crux here, perhaps I missed something that said this would happen, but I believe I was seeing the default VNC stream, rather than my own one, which has the same name.  Not sure what it is in mine that is different, but that does not put an entry in the listing for each new post. I have set mine to be the default again, and normal service seems to be resumed.

Just now, Mike the Boilerman said:

I'm sure they would start again is we pitched up there!

Not the nice ones, they would say welcome, jump in the water’s lovely

Just now, Dr Bob said:

Help

I am a muppet

....but 100% of the posts in my VNC are now duplicates of this thread and the other one. Totally useless.

What do I do to fix it.......again?

That is how it is supposed to be apparently, no advice on how to reverse it have not been forthcoming 

• Greenie 1

8 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

Help

I am a muppet

....but 100% of the posts in my VNC are now duplicates of this thread and the other one. Totally useless.

What do I do to fix it.......again?

Sadly forum admin holds that this is correct and normal behaviour, and nothing has changed. It has always done this, apparently. 

Yeah, right...

• Greenie 2

2 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Sadly forum admin holds that this is correct and normal behaviour, and nothing has changed. It has always done this, apparently. 

Yeah, right...

It doesn't on my activity stream that I've used since the major upgrade screwed everything last time.

I've not got political topics filtered out either though so maybe custom activity streams are handled differently.

9 minutes ago, Dyertribe said:

That is how it is supposed to be apparently, no advice on how to reverse it have not been forthcoming 

I think a lot of us get our computers working how we want them to, often not knowing quite how we got there and when someone makes changes we don't know how to get back to what we want to see. I did find MTB's instructions about how to recover VNC useful and because of some other choices I made by clicking around I also get the politics threads which is what I want. I hope you manage to sort things out to your satisfaction.