Changes to VNC

RichM

Featured Posts

Well, I haven't changed any settings and it seems to me that we are back to where we were with the exception that the political threads have gone.  It really was impossible to use last night.

Looking at the political page, it looks as though a number of posts are not really political and would be of general interest but are no longer seen in the VNP page.

Perhaps people should be careful about starting a non-political thread in the political page.

1 minute ago, dor said:

Well, I haven't changed any settings and it seems to me that we are back to where we were with the exception that the political threads have gone.  It really was impossible to use last night.

Looking at the political page, it looks as though a number of posts are not really political and would be of general interest but are no longer seen in the VNP page.

Perhaps people should be careful about starting a non-political thread in the political page.

Yes that is is what I was saying by my last post.  Yesterday it seemed to me that the default VNC was changed to be "content items, comments and reviews", and now it has been changed to be "items only", which is what I believe it was previously.

3 minutes ago, dor said:

Yep, mines gone back to normal, i just left it alone. however I have saved the VNC legacy so still get all threads to make my own choices and everything is working well today. There was deffo some glitch last night.

Agreed that there was some sort of glitch last night. Not sure how many it affected but it would have been a serious glitch if it affected many users and remained permanent.

Never felt any need to complain or muck around with the default settings until last night.

2 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Yes it is permanent, that is the whole point of the ticking the tick, to make it permanent. 

Or it is permanent for me anyway, without clearing my cached pages.

Me too.

BTW thanks to RichM for his work on this

Come on people, cut Rich a little bit of slack?

He works tirelessly to maintain the software and server side of this forum is, a role very few people stepped forward to do when our previous technical administrator stood down. Without him we would not have the site we have. Without change we would be left behind.

The changes, which took significant time to effect, where based on repeated requests from you the site users. I can't answer why we have had the unexpected side effect of changing a setting back to one which creates 'duplication' in the results but can we resolve this is a civil as pleasant way please. 

17 hours ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

... somehow under 'Show Me', the setting had changed between 'Content items only'  (no duplication) and 'Content Items, Comments and Reviews (topics duplicated as per all the complaints) ...

This appears to be the answer, and as said, users can set their own 'defualt' for the vnc button by changing the settings and pressing the grey tick so it goes green.

Thanks

Daniel

1 minute ago, Dyertribe said:

Rich got it in the neck because of his seeming inability to appreciate what issues we were experiencing and lack of suggestions of how to rectify it. 

There was mass frustration on the forum. 

Agreed. But now let him digest things and hopefully learn from the experience. Even the best make occasional mistakes.

I understand the frustration in the changes, and in Richard not realising straight away the had been an unintended change to the defaults, however I think the responses have been a little extreme.

All the staff, including myself as owner work on a voluntary basis giving our time and expertise for free in the same way members do. We all have full time jobs and lives outside of the forum and we're all only human.

Thanks

I think a mass  frustration is a bit over the top. I suspect that most of us hardly noticed and as far as I can see its been sorted anyway. By the time I changed back from my own defaults there was no duplication. 

Overall a much welcome improvement to the site. The political bit, while welcome at first, has just become a home for bigots and rants. Much easier to avoid now. 

2 hours ago, Arthur Marshall said:

I think a mass  frustration is a bit over the top. I suspect that most of us hardly noticed and as far as I can see its been sorted anyway. By the time I changed back from my own defaults there was no duplication. 

Overall a much welcome improvement to the site. The political bit, while welcome at first, has just become a home for bigots and rants. Much easier to avoid now. 

I don't know how you had difficulty in avoiding them.  In fact, I have taken the trouble to restore Politics & Current Affairs to my VNC, not because I contribute to them or even often read them, but because I object to others deciding what I can look at by default.  The section is hardly obtrusive - 4 currently running threads out of over 50 in the last 24 hours, and one of them is about HS2.

• Greenie 3

15 hours ago, RLWP said:

Where do I find the place to set my default 'Activity Stream' @RichM?

Richard

This is a genuine question. I have a custom version of VNC which I can't work out how to remove. The vanilla version works better now, so I want to change my default version. It used to be an option which activity stream you used by default

@RichM? @DHutch?

Richard

19 minutes ago, RLWP said:

This is a genuine question. I have a custom version of VNC which I can't work out how to remove. The vanilla version works better now, so I want to change my default version. It used to be an option which activity stream you used by default

@RichM? @DHutch?

Richard

Did mine by unticking the green tick by my chosen "nonpolitical" stream, which then removes it as the default.  The "View New Content" then shows up where my stream was, select that and tick the grey arrow to make it green and the default stream again.  Had to do it on the desktop, couldn't work out how to do it on the mobile version!

1 minute ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Did mine by unticking the green tick by my chosen "nonpolitical" stream, which then removes it as the default.  The "View New Content" then shows up where my stream was, select that and tick the grey arrow to make it green and the default stream again.  Had to do it on the desktop, couldn't work out how to do it on the mobile version!

This sounds familiar - it's the green tick I can't find

Richard

8 hours ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

I don't know how you had difficulty in avoiding them.  In fact, I have taken the trouble to restore Politics & Current Affairs to my VNC, not because I contribute to them or even often read them, but because I object to others deciding what I can look at by default.  The section is hardly obtrusive - 4 currently running threads out of over 50 in the last 24 hours, and one of them is about HS2.

The removal of the political stream was, it seems, the result of a survey so the forum is just responding to the requirements of the majority of it's members.  You can't please everyone, and it's easy enough to go look at the political threads if you wish - i do every now and then to see if anyone has said anything either interesting or so annoying that I feel the need to get involved.  Easy enough to create a custom stream that show them, but it would appear to be a minority desire. Most of us want to avoid being drawn into anything non-boaty... and don;t have the self control not to be.

5 minutes ago, RLWP said:

This sounds familiar - it's the green tick I can't find

Richard

If you select your stream, it should show up next to it at the top of the list  page, by the stream title, before you open any threads.

Edited by Arthur Marshall

36 minutes ago, RLWP said:

@RichM? @DHutch?

Richard

Click on the 'VNC button' and just to the right of the page title is a green square with tick. Pressing it makes it go gray, defaulting you button to standard.

Alternatively, browse to any of the available 'activity streams' and press on the grey square tick to turn in green and hence default. 

On 09/02/2020 at 17:54, RichM said:

You may make the stream your default stream by clicking as highlighted below:

setdefault.png

Thanks

Daniel

16 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

If you select your stream, it should show up next to it at the top of the list  page, by the stream title, before you open any threads.

5 minutes ago, DHutch said:

Click on the 'VNC button' and just to the right of the page title is a green square with tick. Pressing it makes it go gray, defaulting you button to standard.

Alternatively, browse to any of the available 'activity streams' and press on the grey square tick to turn in green and hence default. 

Thanks

Daniel

Thank you both - I have it sorted!

Richard

Edited by RLWP

I have now renamed the original activity stream  'View New Content (Inc. Political)' rather than  'View New Content (Legacy)' for better clarity going forwards.

The default now being 'View New Content' which shows all content except for that which is in the Political and Current Affairs sub-forum.

Daniel