Changes to VNC

RichM

Featured Posts

Hi all,

Following the outcome of a poll we ran last year, we have made a change to exclude the Political & Current affairs forum from default activity Stream aka View New Content or VNC. This required some code changes to be made to the site theme/style, which is why it took longer than originally anticipated to make this change. - Thanks for your patience.

The software that powers View New Content (which is part of the forum's search functionality) actually uses more server resources than the rest of the site combined. As such, I have made a tweak to reduce the number of queries the server is having to perform each and every time someone loads VNC. The condensed view will now appear as the default option. To change back to "Expanded" view, you may do so with the click of a button while on the VNC page, as illustrated below:

expandedview.png

That aside, I must stress that these changes are only applied to the default setting. The old settings are still available for anyone who wishes to revert back to them.  As such, if you want it back to how it was, no problem. The old Activity Stream still exists and can be accessed initially as follows:

oldvnc.png

You may make the stream your default stream by clicking as highlighted below:

setdefault.png

Cheers

Rich

Edited by RichM
Revisions following user feedback

Right, I've done that.  How do I now prevent topics appearing multiple times? - my topic with a similar title to yours appears 5 times in my VNC Legacy list.

Thanks,  Mac

Edited to say that I think it's wrong to assume we don't want to read recent topics we've already read - for various reasons consulting recently read topics is useful.

Edited by Mac of Cygnet

When I used to hit VNC which is what I do every time I visit and each time after I have read a thread I used to get all the current topics come up. My pooter is very clever and if I dont click on an item I dont want to see it simply doesnt open, a bit like channels on a tv. However now I find that politics is missing and I have done the legacy thing but every time I again press vnc its dissapeared, how do I get it to save so I see every topic every time I click on VNC anyone?

12 minutes ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

Right, I've done that.  How do I now prevent topics appearing multiple times? - my topic with a similar title to yours appears 5 times in my VNC Legacy list.

Thanks,  Mac

Nothing has changed on this front. They are not actually duplicates as such, as they reference the fact that multiple people have posted in the topic in question. (see below) When using the optional Expanded view, it gives more context by giving a brief summary of the content posted.

Click button to toggle between condensed and expanded

epandedcondensed.png

Condensed view:

notduplicates.png

Expanded view: (optional)

expandedview2.png

I appreciate this may seem unnecessary but unfortunately we do not have a solution to this. I have raised it with Invision who develop the software, though they won't "fix" it because as far as they're concerned, it's working as designed for the reason mentioned. 

37 minutes ago, RichM said:

Nothing has changed on this front. They are not actually duplicates as such, as they reference the fact that multiple people have posted in the topic in question. (see below) When using the optional Expanded view, it gives more context by giving a brief summary of the content posted.

Click button to toggle between condensed and expanded

epandedcondensed.png

Condensed view:

notduplicates.png

Expanded view: (optional)

expandedview2.png

I appreciate this may seem unnecessary but unfortunately we do not have a solution to this. I have raised it with Invision who develop the software, though they won't "fix" it because as far as they're concerned, it's working as designed for the reason mentioned. 

Well this is very clumsy and is a retrograde step IMHO

44 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

My pooter is very clever and if I dont click on an item I dont want to see it simply doesnt open, a bit like channels on a tv.

My puter is really stoopid and it used to show me 50% politics threads when I wanted to see all boating threads.

But now I see 25 threads about boating and NONE of your stoopid claptrap about brexit any more. Wonderful!!!!

2 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

My puter is really stoopid and it used to show me 50% politics threads when I wanted to see all boating threads.

But now I see 25 threads about boating and NONE of your stoopid claptrap about brexit any more. Wonderful!!!!

That's the core of the Apple, they do give you the pip. :)

5 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Did you ever start any Political threads?................................:rolleyes:

Just now, mrsmelly said:

Did you ever start any Political threads?................................:rolleyes:

Once in a while, when I had something to say. 

Whereas you only have one thing to say, and you say it ten times over, day after day after day... so not seeing it on VNC is BLISS!!

1 minute ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Once in a while, when I had something to say. 

Whereas you only have one thing to say, and you say it ten times over, day after day after day... so not seeing it on VNC is BLISS!!

Ahh so you have been on the Political forum and indeed contributed, just thought I would check.

15 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Ahh so you have been on the Political forum and indeed contributed, just thought I would check.

And so have I, and I still can if I want to, but mostly I just want the boating topics in my viewing list. Too easy to get drawn into arguments with right wing nutters - I quite like a rational discussion, but you can't discuss anything with those who just quote the Daily Mail as if it were holy writ. Now I can just dip in every now and then for a laugh.

It's a very welcome change.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, RichM said:

The second is to exclude any content which you have already read, which in my view makes sense given that it's not new once read, right?

I'm afraid not. This is gonna drive me dippy, not being able to see the threads I've contributed to, unless there happens to be a post on them I haven't read.

14 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I'm afraid not. This is gonna drive me dippy, not being able to see the threads I've contributed to, unless there happens to be a post on them I haven't read.

Be careful what you wish for seems to apply here. 

10 minutes ago, Dyertribe said:

Be careful what you wish for seems to apply here. 

Not sure about that. The problem is that as well as removing the politics board from VNC, a load of other tinkering has been done at the same time. 

The basic principle of 'fix one thing at a time' has been overlooked!

• Greenie 1

Sorry to be frank but if you don't like the default VNC, you can use the old one and if you don't like that either, you can create your own custom one right here. Not quite sure what the issue is - nobody is forced to use the default stream.

5 minutes ago, RichM said:

Sorry to be frank but if you don't like the default VNC, you can use the old one and if you don't like that either, you can create your own custom one right here. Not quite sure what the issue is - nobody is forced to use the default stream.

TB will be having a right laugh about this debacle. 

Speaking frankly too, only a select few here understand what a custom VNC is, let alone have enough interest to configure their own custom one. 

I predict instant hemorrhaging of traffic here, if that's what we have to do the make the forum useable. 

• Greenie 1

You told me you had changed it for me earlier and nothing changed!

Sorry to be frank but why did you have to inconvenience everyone by making these changes?

So you haven’t been reading these threads then? The issue is, we were happy with things as they were and now they have changed and we are not happy and we received no warning this was happening and many forum members think their computer is f***ed.

Hope that helps