Semi Trad Stern Bench

robtheplod

Featured Posts

Hi All

I'm going to be looking to replace my stern benches shortly, but I'm having trouble naming the material. I know its wooden underneath but it has a coating on the top - seems to be the same sort of stuff that steps/swings are made of in childrens play parks?  Can anyone help me name this material so I can find a supplier/carpenter etc?  thanks!!!!

20200208_110903.jpg

20200208_114533.jpg

45 minutes ago, robtheplod said:

Thanks everyone!!!

I've also come across this as an alternative, as its plastic tempted to try this as it wont rot, but its an unknown!!

http://www.ekoplysheets.co.uk/ekoply-recycled-plastic-sheets.php

I'd be tempted for bench seats and steps. Wouldn't use it for an engine bay cover as I'd worry about it sagging from the heat. Looks like you've got aluminium checker plate for that though.

Jen

1 hour ago, robtheplod said:

Thanks everyone!!!

I've also come across this as an alternative, as its plastic tempted to try this as it wont rot, but its an unknown!!

http://www.ekoplysheets.co.uk/ekoply-recycled-plastic-sheets.php

I have used Stokbord for a few jobs and would recommend it for your seats. It’s not cheap but will give you a better finished edge than your eco-ply. I’ve used it for battery boxes and lining the walls of our sun deck at home. 

https://www.solwayrecycling.co.uk/shop/farmers/stokbord

• 3 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, robtheplod said:

Hi All, got the Hexagrip, what is the best sealant to use around the edges, something B&Q would sell as would like to sort over this weekend??  thanks!!!!!

From B&Q? Exterior polyurethane varnish would probably be the best bet. West Systems Epoxy would be better but I don’t think they sell it. 

Just now, WotEver said:

From B&Q? Exterior polyurethane varnish would probably be the best bet. West Systems Epoxy would be better but I don’t think they sell it. 

thanks...… would Danish oil be suitable (got some of this, just remembered!)…..?

13 minutes ago, robtheplod said:

thanks...… would Danish oil be suitable (got some of this, just remembered!)…..?

Only if you want to re-do it every few months. I’ve never had much success using it on exterior projects myself. Plus it loves to attract the green stuff. 

Just now, TheBiscuits said:

If he's just bought buffalo board from B&Q there won't be much of the green stuff left ...

In this modern world of coinage and plastic notes that comment wouldn’t make much sense to today’s kids ;)

• Happy 1
  • Haha 1