Kabola E3 Thermocouple Valve/Sensor

Saint Paul

Featured Posts

I have a Kabola E3 3.3kw Serial No 16007 (which I believe is the old type). It is fed by a day header tank and heats 3 rads on a gravity fed Ch system (no pumps).  Following the day tank running dry and being unable to relight I have almost)every thing I have read on site (particularly some great historical posts by KK) but to no avail!

I have cleaned all pipes from tank to oil controller, checked/cleaned oil controller, (it was clean anyway), checked fuel filter at bottom of Oil Controller (clean as a whlstle),  cleaned pipe from Oil Controller to soot scraper, cleaned burner pot thoroughly, several times, checked/cleaned chimney.   Current Status:  Oil gets through to float chamber in oil controller (if I keep button on Thermocouple Valve and spills into burner basin very slowly (takes 4 Mins of holding button up to get flow into burner pot (that ain`t  normal).   When I light goes out soon as meths burn away.

I am beginning to suspect the flow hole into the soot scraper rod area part blocked (I will disassemble try again or that I may have a faulty thermocouple valve or sensor.   QUESTION - How do I test in situ?  I thought maybe I could remove oil controller top, mop out oil, heat up sensor inside burner pot (with mini blow torch)- see if it would open fuel flow to oil controller - that would prove that sensor and valve are working (but not if sensor is OK but value not - I know).   Would this seem a sensible approach or any alternative ideas or suggestions anything would be greatly appreciated - End of my patience!!

Many thanks.  Your comments have helped me focus my thinking that I am on the right track.  The final feed pipe to the soot scraper and feed hole are my next course of action.  Followed by the thermocouple if the later does not resolve the problem.

Will have to wait a week though till next at boat.

6 hours ago, Saint Paul said:

Many thanks.  Your comments have helped me focus my thinking that I am on the right track.  The final feed pipe to the soot scraper and feed hole are my next course of action.  Followed by the thermocouple if the later does not resolve the problem.

Will have to wait a week though till next at boat.

Have you checked the filter, the location of which is shown in post #10 of this thread? If not check thst the fuel feed hole into the scraper tube is clear, mine was completely blocked.

Edited by cuthound
Clarification