Lockable fuel caps...

Featured Posts

Hi All, I've searched but this doesn't seem to have been discussed recently, and the things discussed last time are discontinued. We currently have a flush fitting cap as per:

https://www.midlandchandlers.co.uk/products/cap-to-suit-1-1-2-ital-filler-diesel-cp-ad-059

Does anyone know any devices I can use to lock the cap from someone siphoning off our diesel?  thanks all!!

Just now, ditchcrawler said:

I have a hasp and staple plus padlock set across the top of mine, not very robust. There are purpose made stainless ones on the market

do you have any links or product names ditchcrawler as I couldn't find anything....  ta

I have a bar welded to the cap that can be locked with a fairly lightweight padlock. To be honest I see it as a deterent to casual thieves. A determined person would get through it in no time. I would, however, know someone had been there.

1 hour ago, robtheplod said:

Does anyone know any devices I can use to lock the cap from someone siphoning off our diesel?  thanks all!!

This was ours (on a Trad)

Obviously could be adapted (made lower) for your flush fitting cap.

Image result for narrowboat locking fuel cap

Another (simpler) version

Image result for narrowboat locking fuel cap

Or, just buy a locking flush filler cap

81MjpAdlMiL._SL1500_.jpg

Edited by Alan de Enfield

56 minutes ago, robtheplod said:

thanks I did see that one but didn't see how it would fit... maybe I need to look deeper into this, thanks!

From what I can see looking at the pics. You'd need to unscrew the outer part of the fuel filler from the top of the tank. The two parts, marked A and B fit between the top of the tank and the fuel filler outer, but either A, or B needs to be 180 degrees around from how it is in the photo, so two of the fixing screws pass through the slots in the curved bit of A and the other two through the slots in B. The hasp of a padlock then locks A across the top of the filler plug so it can't be removed. Two of the four fixing screws are also covered.

Jen

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies

Drill a 4.2mm hole vertically through the thread being careful to catch all the swarf,  tap hole with a 5mm tap. Fit a 5mm button security torx.

Unless the thief is carrying the correct tool he wont be able to open it  

5mm hole and 6mm torx might be better depending on cap size.

Just an idea in case anyone wants to rubbish the idea ;)

35 minutes ago, Loddon said:

Drill a 4.2mm hole vertically through the thread being careful to catch all the swarf,  tap hole with a 5mm tap. Fit a 5mm button security torx.

Unless the thief is carrying the correct tool he wont be able to open it  

5mm hole and 6mm torx might be better depending on cap size.

I use a similar idea on my filler cap, but it is of a very different design. Don't want to go in to any more details on an open forum.

36 minutes ago, Loddon said:

Just an idea in case anyone wants to rubbish the idea ;)

Can I? Yes please! You'd want to replace the four screws holding the filler cap outer bit to the top of the fuel tank with button torx, or other unusual head screws as well to stop someone just unscrewing the whole thing. Also @The Dreamer's point about someone removing the vent instead. Similar to escaping from a lion. You don't need to run faster than a lion, just faster than the other person. Your boat just needs to be a bit more difficult to nick the diesel from than the one beside it.

Jen

15 hours ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

From what I can see looking at the pics. You'd need to unscrew the outer part of the fuel filler from the top of the tank. The two parts, marked A and B fit between the top of the tank and the fuel filler outer, but either A, or B needs to be 180 degrees around from how it is in the photo, so two of the fixing screws pass through the slots in the curved bit of A and the other two through the slots in B. The hasp of a padlock then locks A across the top of the filler plug so it can't be removed. Two of the four fixing screws are also covered.

Jen

yes that's what I read into it - I need to double check my fittings to see whats best, thanks for all the replies, plus love the custom made ones - ingenious!

16 hours ago, robtheplod said:

Hi All, I've searched but this doesn't seem to have been discussed recently, and the things discussed last time are discontinued. We currently have a flush fitting cap as per:

https://www.midlandchandlers.co.uk/products/cap-to-suit-1-1-2-ital-filler-diesel-cp-ad-059

The other alternative is not to worry about the 'cap' but to stop syphoning completely.

There are a number of manufacturers / supplies of anti-syphon devices that are pushed (hammered) down into your fuel pipe and stop hoses being slid down to the fuel, but, do not restrict the fuel flow when filling.

Just one example :

https://tissltd.com/products/shield-anti-siphon-device

Image 1

You would need to sort out what size and type of pipe you have and then shop around to find one to fit.

Those flush fitting types are daft. I have had them on other boats but luckily again not on this one. If the washer persishes or you dont get a good seal they can let water in to the tank which accumulates over the years. I would have an upstand fitted if I were you some time with a screw down cap. Just sayin like.

• Greenie 1

6 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Those flush fitting types are daft. I have had them on other boats but luckily again not on this one. If the washer persishes or you dont get a good seal they can let water in to the tank which accumulates over the years. I would have an upstand fitted if I were you some time with a screw down cap. Just sayin like.

I didn't know you can convert them, that might be something to consider also?

I met a chap who had his entire tank contents stolen , and the tank had just been filled.

He had not been away from the boat very long , a couple of hours  .  The location was such that the only possible way the thief must have arrived and departed was by boat.

The lock and hasp arrangement was damaged and this then required repair , adding to the cost.

I see an anti syphon device has already been suggested and suggest it is perhaps better than a locking cap.

https://www.vetus.com/en/fuel-systems/accessories/vetus-fuel-theft-security-device-for-hose-diameter-38-and-51-mm.html

I fittwd one of the Midland Swindlers stsinless steel types when i bought my boat.

Easy job to fit, as described by Jen above. Took me less that 15 minutes. I bedded the lock and then the filler in Sikaflex to ensure the joint was waterproof.