Plywood hooks to

jacko264

Featured Posts

Fasten side fenders too ? 

Hi All . I would like to make two hooks but I don't know what sizes to make them if some one could give me a clue that would be great 

its to fit a narrow boat 

I'm guessing  it will be about  25mm down by 50 across the top and 150 down where the fender fastener  to 

thankyou graham

6 minutes ago, jacko264 said:

I'm guessing  it will be about  25mm down by 50 across the top and 150 down where the fender fastener  to

Rather than make them to the sizes of someone elses boat, maybe measure your own (rail design and thicknesses are not a constant) and them make a U shape (with one short leg) to suit.

You need to measure your handrails to confirm their size.  However most seem to be made of 11/2 in equal angle.  So up 39 mm across 39 mm down at an angle to match your boat, as far as you like.  Enlarge if you want to fit rubber linings.

The chandlers sell plastic ones which won't rot for not much money.

N

Thanks so far the thing is we have been hiring narrow boats for 11 years now and all the boats look about the same  this is how I came up with them sizes from memmory  

it would be nice to look a bit more professional then having ropes tied all over the boat to hang fenders where you need them

graham

2 minutes ago, jacko264 said:

Thanks so far the thing is we have been hiring narrow boats for 11 years now and all the boats look about the same  this is how I came up with them sizes from memmory  

it would be nice to look a bit more professional then having ropes tied all over the boat to hang fenders where you need them

graham

Some (generally older) boats have circular, or square, rails on small upstands.

This was a 1999 boat we had.

DSCF0001.JPG

Edited by Alan de Enfield

2 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Rather than make them to the sizes of someone elses boat, maybe measure your own (rail design and thicknesses are not a constant) and them make a U shape (with one short leg) to suit.

^^^^ this. 

3 hours ago, BEngo said:

You need to measure your handrails to confirm their size.  However most seem to be made of 11/2 in equal angle.  So up 39 mm across 39 mm down at an angle to match your boat, as far as you like.  Enlarge if you want to fit rubber linings.

The chandlers sell plastic ones which won't rot for not much money.

N

FENDER HOOK WHITE PLASTIC EACH

https://www.midlandchandlers.co.uk/products/fender-hook-white-plastic-each-as-054

As has been said better to measure your own roof rails.

The above won't fit our boat as the rails are wider than the gap in the hook.

Many thanks to all for the info I have found on the Webb a discription and sizes that I think will fit 

they are 

35mm up 57mm across and 170mm down  by 18mm thick  so I will make them to that size and take a hacksaw to adjust if needed

Graham

Def depends on the boat. One of mine has raised edges and those plastic hooks (about 25quid for 6, including delivery) look really smart. The one with rails looks better with ropes IMHO. You can get curved hooks for the rail style too...