Bit Windy-Storm Ciara

matty40s

Featured Posts

Heads up, I didnt post this earlier as there was too much uncertainty of track and at risk areas. 

This is no Mike T'Boiler crisp packet twitcher.

We will have strong winds this afternoon and evening, but the rugby should still go ahead.

Then from early morning on Sunday comes Storm Ciara, a sustained and very strong storm system that will last for most of Sunday, a very unusual occurrence.

The MetOffice has just increased its Amber warning field to show impact over a larger region than has ever been affected before. Large swathes of 70mph winds with gusts over 80, bot just on the coast, but inland too. Rain will also be an issue.

Tie your ropes tight and secure roof mounted items, take your seasickness pills and hunker down. Stove vents need to be almost closed.

Screenshot_20200208-101057_Chrome.jpg

Edited by matty40s
  • Greenie 3

Usually the various weather models overestimate the wind speeds of these storms....but maybe not this time. All the models this morning have shown increased wind speeds so it looks like the midlands will be hit with 60-70mph gusts and maybe as high as 80mph. Eeeeeek!  The central pressure of the storm is lower at the moment than they thought it would be so that means higher winds. Everything off the roof today then and make sure the solar panels are well screwed down. I'm sure there will be quite a few trees down tomorrow and a lot of roof tiles/slates blowing around.

Keep safe everyone.

Edited by Dr Bob

14 minutes ago, MoominPapa said:

Just moved down a lock on the S. Stratford at Lapworth to get out from under a big tree and into the shelter of some little ones. Fitted the storm cover on the pigeon box. 

Anything I forgot?

MP.

Toilet (empty)

Water (full)

Food (cupboards / fridge full)

Gas (full)

Fuel (to make leccy) (full)

1 hour ago, MoominPapa said:

Just moved down a lock on the S. Stratford at Lapworth to get out from under a big tree and into the shelter of some little ones. Fitted the storm cover on the pigeon box. 

Anything I forgot?

MP.

Lash the tiller/rudder to stop it swinging if it gets realy roughers.

13 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Lash the tiller/rudder to stop it swinging if it gets realy roughers.

Advantages of a deep boat. If it gets that bad I'll just let 10cm of water out of the pound and settle solidly on the bottom......

MP.

• Greenie 2

We are progressing along the T & M and have mooted in Rode Heath away from trees to sit out the strong winds. Saw 3 moving boats today - the canal is getting busy ?. That makes a total of 5 moving boats in 3 days.

Haggis

10 minutes ago, MoominPapa said:

Tends to ruin the view, doing that sort of thing.

MP.

A bit like widebeams moored opposite one. Not the width that is a problem, but the fact that many are 12"-18" taller than a NB, completely blocking out the lovely view of the morning sun rising over the hill. 

Few peeps seem to notice this extra height they have!

I moved the Boat yesterday and initially tied up using Mooring Stakes . After a Pot of Tea and listening to the Weather Forecast I decided this Morning to move in search of the more secure Armco , surprisingly perhaps a few Boats still moving around on the GU South