Good Aluminium Handtruck

Jim Batty

Featured Posts

After bumping numerous handtrucks along towpaths over the years - and finding many of them just not up to the job - a couple of years ago I settled on a well-made box aluminium and steel model made by Einhell that has stood the test of time ... and abuse ... lugging multiple sacks of coal and containers of water from oddball places to the boat. I paid £35 for ours, and consider that a good deal.

For anyone interested, I've just seen what seems to be almost exactly the same handtruck (except for different coloured wheels and a cushier handle) for sale at Aldi for £14.99.

https://www.aldi.co.uk/aluminium-handtruck/p/099453325981800

My one tip is to keep the wheel bearings well-greased and it will last for years.

Just sayin' ...

I bought a dirt cheap sack truck/trolley some years ago. Made of really thin steel. I think the only original part of it that's left is one wheel. I have patched it welded it, kicked and cursed it and re designed the damn thing but even if I leave it on the towpath for days nobody nicks the blasted thing

2 hours ago, Bee said:

I bought a dirt cheap sack truck/trolley some years ago. Made of really thin steel. I think the only original part of it that's left is one wheel. I have patched it welded it, kicked and cursed it and re designed the damn thing but even if I leave it on the towpath for days nobody nicks the blasted thing

Sounds a bit like my commuting bike. I can leave it at the rail station overnight, over weekends or over holidays ... and there's always better bikes around more worth stealing. Knock on wood.

20 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

I have one of those, ive had it years, very robust. Its not done a lot of work but the occasional gas bottle.

Me too. Used it mostly for carrying chairs, beer, wine etc to music festivals. Sturdy. Only issue is that the wheels clog easily with long grass and mud. We don't see much of that at uk festivals.

21 hours ago, Jim Batty said:

After bumping numerous handtrucks along towpaths over the years - and finding many of them just not up to the job - a couple of years ago I settled on a well-made box aluminium and steel model made by Einhell that has stood the test of time ... and abuse ... lugging multiple sacks of coal and containers of water from oddball places to the boat. I paid £35 for ours, and consider that a good deal.

For anyone interested, I've just seen what seems to be almost exactly the same handtruck (except for different coloured wheels and a cushier handle) for sale at Aldi for £14.99.

https://www.aldi.co.uk/aluminium-handtruck/p/099453325981800

My one tip is to keep the wheel bearings well-greased and it will last for years.

Just sayin' ...

I broke mine mine on first use when I put anchor chain on it on uneven ground.

I got one from Robert Dyas.

I can tow it behind my bicyle

10 minutes ago, buccaneer66 said:

I've got a Rolson folding sack truck, mines the smallest they do, but it still carries a toilet cassette ok

42513-1.jpg

I had a couple of Rolsons to start. On the type you show, the wheels sort of 'flibbety-jibbed' back and forth along the tow path if it had any real weight on it. The thin loading foot cracked on another. Another Rolson had 'foam' tyres that shredded almost immediately on hauling a 25kg sack of coal over a stoney path. I think that one must of been for indoor use on marble floors or similar ... although it didn't specify this on the packaging. Maplin (remember them?) refunded the cost without a quibble.

3 minutes ago, Jim Batty said:

I had a couple of Rolsons to start. On the type you show, the wheels sort of 'flibbety-jibbed' back and forth along the tow path if it had any real weight on it. The thin loading foot cracked on another. Another Rolson had 'foam' tyres that shredded almost immediately on hauling a 25kg sack of coal over a stoney path. I think that one must of been for indoor use on marble floors or similar ... although it didn't specify this on the packaging. Maplin (remember them?) refunded the cost without a quibble.

They are a bit flimsy but work fine, I'll get the heavy duty one next time, I mostly use mine camping to take the toilet to the Elsan point.