Samuel Barlow Motor Boats

Heartland

Featured Posts

Samuel Barlow operated a number of motors- the first being an ex Charles Nelson boat.

From 1936 they had built a number of boats- butty's and motors. I believe DAPHNE is still around. What type of engine did that craft have, I wonder. Some of the engines supplied were Petters I gather.

10 hours ago, sparrowcycles said:

Daphne is up at Ashton packet boatyard and has a national.. 

Moored less than a mile from where the engine was built and very likely the only operational National engine of any type resident  in Ashton Under Lyne.(part of Tameside Metropolitan Borough since 1974)

• Greenie 1

Avontwentynine.jpg.197c90ece731b95394cf4b2818158c73.jpgI towed Daphne's sister Clara from Ken Keays' yard to Langley Mill in ,I think , 1978. It was during the worst storm in living memory at the time. I do remember that we had to cut our way through a variety of what CART now call 'vegetation' on the eleven mile. The owner subsequently burnt Clara and Avon was broken up at Puttenham. Regards HughC

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, hughc said:

Avontwentynine.jpg.197c90ece731b95394cf4b2818158c73.jpgI towed Daphne's sister Clara from Ken Keays' yard to Langley Mill in ,I think , 1978. It was during the worst storm in living memory at the time. I do remember that we had to cut our way through a variety of what CART now call 'vegetation' on the eleven mile. The owner subsequently burnt Clara and Avon was broken up at Puttenham. Regards HughC

Not this Clara then?

https://www.hnbc.org.uk/boats/clara

On ‎09‎/‎02‎/‎2020 at 18:49, hughc said:

On ‎09‎/‎02‎/‎2020 at 20:48, David Mack said:

Not this Clara then?

https://www.hnbc.org.uk/boats/clara

No.

The CLARA in the photograph above is best known as Samuel Barlow Coal Company Ltd. motor of the same name. Barlow's acquired CLARA from British Paper Company Ltd., Frogmore on 31 July 1947, but it had been built as a horse boat for Isaac Lapworth, Nuneaton in 1922 and converted to a motor for the same owner in 1934. Barlow's sold CLARA to Leamington Boys Club in 1949 upon which it started its new life as a pleasure boat :captain: