"Mummy, I'm wet and miserable...

Featured Posts

... and the dogs are wet and miserable, and it is all your fault."

Is what was said last time I attempted a holiday choice. (The Munchkin was technically right and not whinging, just observing. Is usually super-loving and very brave. It really was lousy weather in a very exposed location and poor activity choice/no porper outerwear).

But apparently 'that hotel where we stayed when we went to see that boat' was a big hit so we're back in Crick shortly!

We're aware of the The Moorings and The Wheatsheaf but if anyone has recommendations for any other mutt-friendly eateries (licensed or otherwise - I'll be designated car driver so if not walking distance from Crick won't be missing out anyway!) / little walks (we just went along the canal and back through the Jubilee woods) / other low key mutt friendly activities they would be much appreciated!

(Not looking specifically for canal things as we're moving aboard and have another boat to cruise when not on holiday but things in the area, including canal themed would be lovely to know of)

You must visit the world renowned Yelberytoft Yowler this Sunday.

Crowning a local hilltop above a lovely secluded marina, this often heard tourist attraction which most of the time just hums or whooshes,  should be in full flow this Sunday with the Ciara Cry. 

Most of the local boaters will be wearing ear protectors.

27 minutes ago, Keeping Up said:

I'd definitely recommend the Red Lion at Crick. Definitely mutt-friendly & has the widest choice of good vegetarian food anywhere.

Fab. Mutts-aside we're non-meat eaters so that is good to know ?

31 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Ah. Minbyism / serious concerns for air bourne wildlife & local live stock...

1 minute ago, matty40s said:

Seriously, it's the noisiest wind turbine , even noisier than Michael Gove backing the latest Con PM, following the last one he backed.

Has it been built yet? Link didn't work for me... Can't say I recall from visit in autumn.

8 hours ago, TheMenagerieAfloat said:

Gosh, we used that slipway (assuming Yelvertoft?). Pretty rainy so probs not that windy but didn't notice at all. Have they built some new sheds there since that was taken?

Yes.

Crying shame that went in.

It was one of my favourite moorings there.

Funny, isn't it? Sat in a legacy of previous industry, floating on a marina accessible because of previous industry, gazing out across both boat yard and farm, an artificially constructed and maintained landscape, consuming power (assuming limited solar in winter, and that even those on CW agree an engine or generator is noisier than a turbine) what bothers someone is a relatively new industry which is probably better for the environment (or at least considers trying to be a limiting factor) than any of the previous.

But, also, change. For us it would have been 'how Yelvertoft is' as we'd not been before. If anything we celebrate turbines when we see them. The little plastic ones (which I can assure you are carefully maintained multi-use) in the Munchkin's deck garden are a legacy of how amazing she thought they were when we first stayed in an 'off grid' place with a little one. 

We walked all around there (and also into the rather nothingy village without open shop or pub) with the little mutts. 

I was horrified that the marina and village together could apparently not sustain a community focal point within walking distance. But the turbine didn't impinge at all. 

• Greenie 3

11 hours ago, Keeping Up said:

I'd definitely recommend the Red Lion at Crick. Definitely mutt-friendly & has the widest choice of good vegetarian food anywhere.

:o  " Good " and " Vegetarian " should never be used in the same sentence. Its like having " Exciting " and " Cricket " in the same sentence, an impossibility surely?

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

:o  " Good " and " Vegetarian " should never be used in the same sentence. Its like having " Exciting " and " Cricket " in the same sentence, an impossibility surely?

But, surely someone living in, basically, the days of Empire might be a leetle bit influenced, culinary-wise only ofc, by, say, a large percentage of the subcontinent? ?

Edited to ad: akshually, aren't you somewhere in/from Yorkshire? Forgive me... you'll have been meaning veggie is sooo last century and you're with the vegans in Hebden, no?

Edited by TheMenagerieAfloat
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Machpoint005 said:

Don't you get claustrophobic in that closed mind of yours, Tim?

Being a homo sapien with Incisors and canine teeth as well as Premolars and molars I am as was intended an Ominivore, as I am designed to be old sport :P

• Greenie 1

29 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Being a homo sapien with Incisors and canine teeth as well as Premolars and molars I am as was intended an Ominivore, as I am designed to be old sport :P

But you'll have to give up your boat, become a hunter-gatherer, give up woven clothing (eek!)...

'designed' - now there is an argument I'm not getting into...

Edited to add: I've never seen Tim in RL so in my head he looks like his avatar...

23 hours ago, matty40s said:

Seriously, it's the noisiest wind turbine , even noisier than Michael Gove backing the latest Con PM, following the last one he backed.

Has his statistics skills improved lately?

I thinking about his wanting 100% of schools to be rated above average.

Anyone else relish 3am (ish) back in 1997?

Yes, we were still up to see Mr Portaloo getting the bums rush.

13 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

Oxymoron.

As in 'military' and 'intelligence'

ETA or 'caring' and'conservative'

Edited by Victor Vectis

On 07/02/2020 at 12:52, mrsmelly said:

I'm with Tim.  Eat whatever you feel is right for you and yours.  I have seen Tim in RL on many occasions - stick to his avatar unless you want sleepless nights ?

• Haha 1

On 07/02/2020 at 13:29, TheMenagerieAfloat said:

Edited to add: I've never seen Tim in RL so in my head he looks like his avatar..

Tim looks nuffern like his avatar in real life. More like "Hungerford Man". But I doubt you'll know what I mean by that....!

18 minutes ago, rustynewbery said:

I'm with Tim.  Eat whatever you feel is right for you and yours.  I have seen Tim in RL on many occasions - stick to his avatar unless you want sleepless nights ?

:P