CRT Improper mooring policy and enforcement

Dave123

Featured Posts

5 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I know that C&RT do own moorings on Rivers but I do not see how they can claim they control "mooring to the bank on a tidal river"

As I said River Brent is semi tidal above Thames lock, the towpath I believe is theirs . So I believe they can there. Yes its only a few hundred yards but...........

1 minute ago, magpie patrick said:

If it's obstructing navigation it's the navigation authority's problem 

Ok, I'll bow to your knowledge on the subject.

My point is that C&RT are not saying it is 'obstructing navigation' they are listing examples of when they will ask owners to move their boat.

1 hour ago, Dave123 said:

Mooring in a lock, lock approach, or in a lock flight; blocking services that the boater is not using; mooring near a bridge or under a fixed bridge where inappropriate; mooring near a weir; mooring near a sharp bend, on the outside of a bend, or by a blind spot; mooring in or opposite a turning point/winding hole or on the approach to it; mooring at a junction; mooring to the bank on a tidal river; mooring on a canoe landing place; mooring in a stretch marked for an angling match; mooring where there are signs that prohibit mooring.

Maybe it is badly written, but it reads that they 'will take action' over ANY "mooring to the bank on a tidal river" 

It does not say "mooring to the bank on a tidal river and causing a hazard to navigation"

It maybe pedantic but as you know, when in court, it is the words as written that apply, not 'what they really meant'

2 hours ago, Dave123 said:

mooring in a stretch marked for an angling match

Opens a can of worms and maggots...

2 hours ago, Dave123 said:

I'm curious about this 'specific location' naughty boats must be removed to by their owners...how would that even work. Presumably there will be more than 1 location around the system??

Most regions will have norty bollard for the centre line of the offending boat.....

25 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Ok, I'll bow to your knowledge on the subject.

My point is that C&RT are not saying it is 'obstructing navigation' they are listing examples of when they will ask owners to move their boat.

Maybe it is badly written, but it reads that they 'will take action' over ANY "mooring to the bank on a tidal river" 

I suspect it's very badly written

If moored to a tree on the tidal trent but out of the way the most they can (and probably the most they will) do is put a "you're a bit of a twonker " notice on your boat - and I guess that's what they mean. But as you point out, it's not what they say. 

2 hours ago, matty40s said:

Most regions will have norty bollard for the centre line of the offending boat.....

Interestingly the byelaw also prohibits tying up just using the centre line. Bow and stern must be adequately secured when mooring. 

"securely moored head and stern
with good and sufficient ropes or other efficient apparatus"

so it seems ratchet straps are ok after all as long as they are not secured to vegetation growing out of towpath stonework! 

The only specific ticket I have had on my window in 25 years on BW/CRT waterways was when moored up strapped in nice and tight with the bow ratchet strap on a buddleia bush. They were onto that in the blink of an eye. Hackney ten years ago. 

Edited by magnetman
Typo and added a bit

Water point in Apsley GU can only really be used while in the lock, however it is quite fast. There's a water/rubbish/elsan a couple of locks up, but it's a bugger if you want to wind at the marina between.

Nash mills top lock ? 

I think that water point was intended for container use not tanks. Being beside the lock chamber. 

Things have changed over the years. There was a time when people went boating for fun, a bit like camping . They even stopped washing in some instances for days. 

Edited by magnetman

53 minutes ago, 65ftnb said:

Water point in Apsley GU can only really be used while in the lock, however it is quite fast. There's a water/rubbish/elsan a couple of locks up, but it's a bugger if you want to wind at the marina between.

That's not true! How big is your boat?! I've never needed to be in or obstructing the lock to use it and we are 57ft...you do block the lock landing but that's the case for most southern GU water points?‍♂️

Edited by Dave123

10 minutes ago, Dave123 said:

How big is your boat?!

erm

Heading south we have used the lock landing. Heading north however no chance. (Although we are on the look out for some 'very very long hose' suggestions that will still fit in a small locker.

I think the clue must be in the user name. 

ETA possibly @Dave123 thought you meant Apsley when in fact you are referring to the water point beside Nash Mills top lock chamber. 

Misunderstanding me thinks. 

Edited by magnetman

4 minutes ago, magnetman said:

I think the clue must be in the user name. 

It might have changed since we last measured it? It is winter and these things sometimes do depend on who's measuring!

To be fair I think Dave123 probably read your earlier post about Apsley and though you were referring to Apsley the lock by Sainsbury which has a water point above it not interfering with the lock. 

In fact you were referring to Nash Mills top lock where the water point is level with the lock chamber so more complicated. 

Fair enough, just a bit of Jest. Map says lock 68. Although it also says you can wind in the weir there - I wouldn't ?‍♂️

Sorry back to topic - Will CRT clamp down on using the last bollard of a lock landing to moor too ? (Please!)

33 minutes ago, 65ftnb said:

(Although we are on the look out for some 'very very long hose' suggestions that will still fit in a small locker.

Look for 'magic hose'

I have a 120 foot one that (almost) fits in your pocket, it expands when full of water, when you turn the tap off it ejects the water and rolls itself back up.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/MAGIC-HOSE-100ft-Hose-Spray/dp/B00VGOC5UW

Much cheaper on Ebay - I got mine (120 foot) for £9 from a seller in Iceland. (NO - not the frozen food shop !!!)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/b/Expanding-Garden-Hoses/151604/bn_27199674

Edited by Alan de Enfield

7 minutes ago, 65ftnb said:

Fair enough, just a bit of Jest. Map says lock 68. Although it also says you can wind in the weir there - I wouldn't ?‍♂️

Sorry back to topic - Will CRT clamp down on using the last bollard of a lock landing to moor too ? (Please!)

It does raise the obvious question as to observation and enforcement. Is it going to be the data loggers who report inappropriately moored boats? Or maybe members of the public non boat related, other boaters or perhaps there will be some robot ducks. I heard Google are experimenting with robot ducks and some coots also. Just to keep an eye on people. 

Of course the latest trend is drones. 

Edited by magnetman

13 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Look for 'magic hose'

I have a 120 foot one that (almost) fits in your pocket, it expands when full of water, when you turn the tap off it ejects the water and rolls itself back up.

My fear of these expanding hose is that when the water pressure is low (or water is exiting the hose as fast as it's entering) the hose will not be full length and I'll spend more effort trying too keep it long enough. Is the only way to use one of these hoses, is to put a nozzle on the end and restrict the output making it even slower? 

Am I cautious over nothing and actually they really are great?

Just now, 65ftnb said:

My fear of these expanding hose is that when the water pressure is low (or water is exiting the hose as fast as it's entering) the hose will not be full length and I'll spend more effort trying too keep it long enough. Is the only way to use one of these hoses, is to put a nozzle on the end and restrict the output making it even slower? 

Am I cautious over nothing and actually they really are great?

I have used mine across a fair bit of the system and cannot remember any problems anywhere.

I have bought a couple of 50 foot ones (they link together) for the other boat so if the tap is close, just use one hose and if not close …………………………….

As with any hose, let the water run thru it and flush it out before putting the end in the tank.

Please correct me if I'm wrong. In all my years I've understood that all the bollards on a lock landing are for use of the lock. On several occasions in the last year alone I've come across locks with the first bollard nearest the lock at an angle on the entrance to the lock. The middle bollard is on the kink in the canal and the third bollard which is the only one usable by long boats on the straight. In this situation when someone moors an end of their boat 90deg to the bollard it makes it very difficult. Not impossible. I've had to use the first and last bollard to moor to whilest using the lock. There's miles of canal. All I'm asking for is a bit of respect and space on the lock landing. Since they've had to use mooring chains/pins/etc for the other end of the boat why couldn't they moor 5 feet further back and just make everybody else's life easier?

IMHO that bollard is still part of the lock landing.

Edit :

CRT Boaters handbook (Yes I still have one of these it has good diagrams for explaining to guests what to do).

Don't moor on lock approaches.

Edited by Guest