engine rebuild kit??

crosser

Featured Posts

hi all...  my engine is so tired its in need of a rebuild... i cant afford the prices quoted to rebuild my engine £1500...  so ive seen this kit on ebay and going to have a go myself..  has anyone here used one of these kits?   

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/153202836271?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649

11 minutes ago, crosser said:

hi all...  my engine is so tired its in need of a rebuild... i cant afford the prices quoted to rebuild my engine £1500...  so ive seen this kit on ebay and going to have a go myself..  has anyone here used one of these kits?   

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/153202836271?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649

Don't forget that you will have around £150 - £200 to add to the purchase price.

VAT

Duty

Handling Paperwork / Administration charge

https://www.johngood.co.uk/2017/08/03/importing-from-china/

6 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Don't forget that you will have around £150 - £200 to add to the purchase price.

VAT

Duty

Handling Paperwork / Administration charge

https://www.johngood.co.uk/2017/08/03/importing-from-china/

thanks, i hadnt noticed that.. will look into the extra costs.. thanks

4 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

Those look like dry liners to me - do you have the equipment needed to pull the old ones out and push the new ones in?

yes they are dryliners, i have a machine shop local to me that can remove and fit the liners for me...

Just now, crosser said:

thanks, i hadnt noticed that.. will look into the extra costs.. thanks

I was caught like that buying a camera in from the USA.

Items with a value of less than £15 are 'ignored' as not being worth the paperwork, but at £350 it is guaranteed that they will hit you with all the costs and taxes.

2 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I was caught like that buying a camera in from the USA.

Items with a value of less than £15 are 'ignored' as not being worth the paperwork, but at £350 it is guaranteed that they will hit you with all the costs and taxes.

Not to mention the carriers costs and charges for paying HMRC'S charges in order to get hold of your parcel.

N

You are going to spend a fair bit of time on this, plus machine shop costs, are you sure that this rebuild kit is genuine or at least of good quality?    otherwise its time and money wasted.

Many years ago I did two head gasket swaps on an old B series engine in one week due to failures, I could not work out what I was doing wrong, then I got a third and more expensive head gasket from a different supplier and all was well.

................Dave

• Happy 1

4 minutes ago, BEngo said:

Not to mention the carriers costs and charges for paying HMRC'S charges in order to get hold of your parcel.

N

That's is the admin / paperwork charges I mentioned

I generally work on 'total import costs' being about 50% of the purchase price, if it comes in any less I am winning.

It rarely comes in any higher.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

I think that by the time all other costs are added in and the mistakes that are made and possibility of some parts not arriving with zero comeback, it would be better to find the 1500 quoted for a proper job or struggle on until you can.

44 minutes ago, crosser said:

the little stuart turner 9hp engine my friends selling is sounding more tempting...

There's quite a difference between an S-T  and a 3 pot Kubota - not to mention that the former is a two-stroke and the latter is a diesel.

(Somebody's bound to correct me)

However, any one prepared to have and polish a Stuart Turner is to be applauded...

the stuart turner is a diesel and sounds nicer than this kubota..  a just dont have a fortune to spend on the little boat and so far the kubota is going to cost a fortune ... i have a great boatyard local to me that can do any work...   i do like the idea of the st engine but dont really know anything about them... i imagine parts are non existent...

A few decades ago you could buy sets of special rings which claimed to improve compression and reduce oil consumption/smoke.

the rings had a slot in them in which sat a springy steel ring.

I fitted a set to an A35 engine that burned nearly as much oil as petrol. They certainly made a difference and along with a set of big end shells kept the engine going for another year (in the days when I was fit and strong enough to stand on the wings* and lift the engine out with a rope through the lifting eyes).

Not seen anything like them in recent years.

*. Not to mention the fact that the wings were made of thick enough metal to take the weight.

2 minutes ago, dor said:

A few decades ago you could buy sets of special rings which claimed to improve compression and reduce oil consumption/smoke.

I fitted a set to an A35 engine that burned nearly as much oil as petrol. They certainly made a difference and along with a set of big end shells kept the engine going for another year (in the days when I was fit and strong enough to stand on the wings* and lift the engine out with a rope through the lifting eyes).

*. Not to mention the fact that the wings were made of thick enough metal to take the weight.

I can almost remember those days, Mini, A30, A55 and Frog Eye Sprite

I think there's a couple of things to think about first. Has your engine done a huge amount of hours? does it make blue smoke / burn oil? has it got OK oil pressure? does it start OK? In my experience if you need to replace pistons/rings/liners etc you probably need to grind the crank down to an undersize and fit new shells too. If the engine really is worn out I would look at buying secondhand  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Used-Diesel-engines-Kubota-Iseki-Mitsubishi-Yanmar-Perkins-Ford/174094641360?hash=item2888d968d0:g:rmcAAOSwhBNdy6YQ  for example.

11 minutes ago, Bee said:

I think there's a couple of things to think about first. Has your engine done a huge amount of hours? does it make blue smoke / burn oil? has it got OK oil pressure? does it start OK? In my experience if you need to replace pistons/rings/liners etc you probably need to grind the crank down to an undersize and fit new shells too. If the engine really is worn out I would look at buying secondhand  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Used-Diesel-engines-Kubota-Iseki-Mitsubishi-Yanmar-Perkins-Ford/174094641360?hash=item2888d968d0:g:rmcAAOSwhBNdy6YQ  for example.

That's a good link - if you can get the 'same' engine then you can transfer the ancillaries and marinization components.

My concern would be the unknown state of the 'new engine'.

I notice some have labels on them saying things like "no compression" I wonder if there is any warranty if it is found to be unusable ?

11 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I wonder if there is any warranty if it is found to be unusable ?

When I was running bangers the local scrapyard had a big sign saying "Guarantee on all engines".

Apparently if you got one from them and it didn't work you could take it back out and they would swap it for a different one ... 

my engine suffers with very bad breathing, smokes like crazy from the breather and spits oil to...   thanks for the link for the engines,ive spoken to them and its £800 plus vat and no warranty...   ive found a supplier of pistons for the engine but not liners so would need rebore...   i think the st engine is just going to be to underpowered so i think im just going to have a think about what to do...  used engine is sounding like best bet at the moment as theres still the £300 for removing and fitting...

2 hours ago, crosser said:

the stuart turner is a diesel and sounds nicer than this kubota..  a just dont have a fortune to spend on the little boat and so far the kubota is going to cost a fortune ... i have a great boatyard local to me that can do any work...   i do like the idea of the st engine but dont really know anything about them... i imagine parts are non existent...

Jiggling around with Google - I find that S-T did make a few diesel engines for the RLNI (thus mebe a small production run). In which case perhaps a S-T afficionado  might cross your hand with a lorra gold.  They were two stroke diesels, which accounts for the nice sounding gurgle.

Didn't Trojan make a 2-stroke diesel van? 

5 hours ago, dor said:

Hepolite pistons, with the extra skirt oil control rings.  There was als;o Cord piston ring sets.

Edited by bizzard