Are there any guidelines on how unsafe walkways can be?

Featured Posts

So, I have a lovely large new boat. But, without an engine room I have nowhere to put my longer pole-like things (yes, have fun with it, but serious answers too please!). All the bulkheads are pretty much taken up with kitchen units/dinette/shower/bedheads and so forth.

So, mop, broom etc are currently homeless.

When you enter the trad stern (you're too boat-centric to find that one funny) you walk over a removable plank thing to cross the engine. At the sides, and a foot or so higher up, there are smaller removable planks on a metal edge. So the cross section looks something like

---      ---    <- little shelves

______       <- walkway

&&&&&     <- engine

I was thinking of removing one or two of the self planks (which run cross-ways) and fitting mop holders to the cabin side so they can be slotted down into the engine bit. Presumably better to remove for cruising but that is fine as this is living boat not play boat.

Does that sound sensible? My initial thought was to stick them all in a corner next to the stove gubbins but I was told that is an attractive feature in a way in which mops are not. This is for 'inside' mops etc nothing I want living on the roof. (Plan for gently biodegrading boat pole which, besides life ring, hose and fender hooks is all that is up there at present is yet to be formulated).

Edited by TheMenagerieAfloat

More than confused by your various discriptions. ( I understood your stern quip fully) . Mops and brushes are readily available with both telescopic handles and removable heads. A length of 4" sewer pipe attached to a bulkhead will hold several long handled objects.

1 hour ago, TheMenagerieAfloat said:

@Rickent Trad stern (sorry half asleep) so the whole lot is 'inside' albeit with a sliding hatch over the middle bit.

@Slim I shall run the horizontal storage idea past my design consultant...

The 4 pipe is fitted to a bulkhead hence it's vertical. 

7 hours ago, Slim said:

The 4 pipe is fitted to a bulkhead hence it's vertical. 

Oh, like a mop vase? I'd assumed you meant like some ppl have for boat poles inside. Got it now!

8 hours ago, doratheexplorer said:

The only mop I have goes on the roof (as is only right and correct).  I have two brooms, a soft one and a stiff one.  I have wall clips next to my coat hooks and store them vertically there.

I bought the Munchkin a narrowboat toy for Xmas with a roof-based mop holder. Was not aware it was a particularly traditional feature until you agreed with the Sylvanian designers! (Is it for the same purpose as my deck scrubbing broom type brush? You don't bring it inside to mop with do you?)

Coats are another dilemma... I was thinking about popping those above the engine hole too but thought it would be embarrassing if visitors lost outerwear into the nether reaches...

2 hours ago, cuthound said:

Could you drill holes in the floor for the broom handles to slot into and use a clip near the head attached to the side lining of the boat to secure tne "business" end?

That is a cunning idea. I actually own (and am moderately competent to operate) a cordless drill... Far less likely to loose things that way ?

*Things/smaller people etc and so forth

Edited by TheMenagerieAfloat

2 hours ago, TheMenagerieAfloat said:

That is a cunning idea. I actually own (and am moderately competent to operate) a cordless drill... Far less likely to loose things that way ?

Cuthound is Baldrick's older brother, taught him everythink. Dint you know??!

:giggles:

10 hours ago, TheMenagerieAfloat said:

Just remember, when you get to the hard bit, stop drilling.

11 hours ago, NB Esk said:

Just remember, when you get to the hard bit, stop drilling.

11 hours ago, Tam & Di said:

Unless you want a water feature.  ?

Tam

A friend of mine  who had his boat in South Dock (40 foot deep apparently) on the Thames did just that.

He called me in a panic for advice. I told him to find a self tapping screw that would fit the hole, screw it into the hole as far as it would go, then run over to the office to arrange a crane out and welding ASAP!

Edited by cuthound
Spillung