what size narrow boat for two people

markc

Featured Posts

me and my partner are thinking of living on a narrow boat instead of my 30ft/9ft steel cruiser, we've lived on it comfortably for 2yrs with our little dog, the only issue we have is its a centre cockpit, six foot to be precise, lot of space wasted in the middle of our home!!!! what size would anyone recommend for us knowing what we're happy living on now, I understand its all about the layout etc, thank you for any feed back.

3 minutes ago, markc said:

me and my partner are thinking of living on a narrow boat instead of my 30ft/9ft steel cruiser, we've lived on it comfortably for 2yrs with our little dog, the only issue we have is its a centre cockpit, six foot to be precise, lot of space wasted in the middle of our home!!!! what size would anyone recommend for us knowing what we're happy living on now, I understand its all about the layout etc, thank you for any feed back.

70 foot or as near as you can find.

5 minutes ago, markc said:

Plenty of people manage with 40-45ft very well but it rather depends on what space you need.  As you will already understand well living in a boat is an exercise of minimalism.

If you have access to youtube videos  you can find various people full-time living on narrowboats  One of them "Floating our boat" live on a 50ft NB with two dogs for instance.

1 hour ago, mrsmelly said:

70 foot or as near as you can find.

What he said...

I, the other Dreamer and the dog (me), manage quite nicely in 69 foot!  The compromise is those faffy northern canals that they built the locks too short on...

I'm on a 70ft with someone I don't share a bed with. So, assuming one of then has few clothes... 62ft would be fine for a couple? Actually my old boat (a little over 60ft) would be lovely for a couple. Plenty of space to be both together and apart. I'm selling as not child friendly but great for mutts and adults.

2 hours ago, The Dreamer said:

What he said...

I, the other Dreamer and the dog (me), manage quite nicely in 69 foot!  The compromise is those faffy YERKSHIRE canals that they built the locks too short on...

Cant believe they did you out of a foot. 

• Haha 1