CAV Co-axial starter rebuild

Featured Posts

14 hours ago, Ole_L said:

Hi
I am renovating an old starter CA45F 12V Y11M and unfortunately i forgot to take a picture of which of the wires that comes from the solenoid to the two small screws. At the moment I have put the double copper wire to the screw near the pinion and the single wire to the other screw.
Is that the right assembly or should it be reversed.
I’m sorry to say that I can’t see it on your picture.

You won't see it in my pictures because the starter is a 24V model and only has one solenoid winding. You have it right with both windings connected to the "front" terminal which is sol +. The thinner of the two windings connects to the other terminal which not surprisingly is sol -. The thicker pull in winding is soldered to the second fixed contact. Anything else I can help with just shout.

• 1 month later...

Firstly hello all and thank you very much indeed Sir Nibbles for your excellent description of the later CAV metric starter "This is an S115 starter, that is the metric version of the old CA45 4.5inch starter."

It has helped me no end, however I am experiencing an issue with my C45 as follows. 

When run up against the flywheel it does not lock up and just disengages and freewheels back down the spline 

I have stripped the starter and checked the locking mechanism as shown by Sir N on the bare armature shaft, and all appears OK. Once assembled however it doesnt lock up when rotating the pinion by hand  . I have a few questions please . In the post of 09 feb 2020. it shows the segmented washers and garter spring. Are these located underneath? i.e at the pinion side of the solenoid assembly or should they be present as another part of the assembly shown on Feb 5th.  on my unit, they appear to be in position at the top ( non pinion end) of the four segments in the drive tube.

I haven't yet taken the solenoid asembly out as I cant seem to figure out how to. I have moved the resistor out of the way and released the positive terminal screw and the two mounting screws but it still seems solid. It also appears as though the solenoid terminal screw needs to be removed, is this the case please. 

The solenoid does appear to throw out properly when current is applied to the housing with just the solenoid fitted. 

Finally is there a supplier of spare parts in the north west / N Wales please. 

Any help greatly appreciated 

I have also posted this as a separate item / new thread . No doubt the adminstrators will confirm where they want it to appear.