Not that I’m counting

fergyguy

Featured Posts

The owners bought her as a sail away and fitted her out themselves with the watchful eye of a marine architect guiding them. The staircase came from a fancy office block which was undergoing a refit and they were cut down to size to fit the boat

Once I’m aboard I intend repainting the red coach lines on her sides with similar cream colour to match her roof as I feel changing will lift her sides as red on green for me doesn’t work. On a positive the owners wife has serious OCD and a lovely lady but by her own admission everything has to be quality made and the whole boat is spotless and comes at a very very great price.

20 minutes ago, fergyguy said:

Thankyou Mrsmelly I will get some proper pictures when I have the keys. I know Widebeam boats are not for everyone but I like it and lots of room for Misty and Me 

My wide beam was vastly better than any of my sewer tubes. I am again at present living on a sewer tube as I wanted to go further afield again should I move back to live on serious waterways again in the future I will buy another wide beam, its a no brainer. Just be considerate in the locations you use it!! 

31 minutes ago, fergyguy said:

Once I’m aboard I intend repainting the red coach lines on her sides with similar cream colour to match her roof as I feel changing will lift her sides as red on green for me doesn’t work. On a positive the owners wife has serious OCD and a lovely lady but by her own admission everything has to be quality made and the whole boat is spotless and comes at a very very great price.

We know the couple who own the boat.  You've got a good buy. 

• Greenie 1
  • Happy 1

58 minutes ago, fergyguy said:

Thee is an old saying red and green which "should only be seen upon an Irish queen" and "never be seen without a colour in between"

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Thee is an old saying red and green which "should only be seen upon an Irish colleen queen" and "never be seen without a colour in between"

perhaps we have a different version in Scotland ? 

haggis

• Happy 1

Sarah and Ian they are for sure a lovely couple and from the moment I stepped onboard it felt like home and as I said to Geoff it failed to tick so many boxes like I wanted solar ( Nowp) I wanted double glazing ( Nowp) I wanted galley at stern ( Nowp) I wanted pump out loo ( Nowp) but to be honest Freedom is without doubt Perfect for me and Geoff and his wife have been so obliging throughout I simply can not fault them. Their boat is immaculate and I’m sure I’m going to be very happy aboard her.

• Greenie 2

The shell I believe was by Staffordshire Narrowboats who no longer exsist so can only guess as to why. No doubt others may know. To be fair I looked at many well known shell builders and was advised by many on here to steer well away from them as the quality was not good. This may not be a top end builder and she may not be to everyone’s taste but value for money she’s ticked all my boxes and having spoken to the boat yard engineer who’s maintained and blacked her throughout her time assured me there is no gremlins waiting to jump out and frighten me. Yes there will be better and more expensive but for me she will be just fine.

20 minutes ago, fergyguy said:

The shell I believe was by Staffordshire Narrowboats who no longer exsist so can only guess as to why. No doubt others may know. To be fair I looked at many well known shell builders and was advised by many on here to steer well away from them as the quality was not good. This may not be a top end builder and she may not be to everyone’s taste but value for money she’s ticked all my boxes and having spoken to the boat yard engineer who’s maintained and blacked her throughout her time assured me there is no gremlins waiting to jump out and frighten me. Yes there will be better and more expensive but for me she will be just fine.

It only has to suit you Martin, I have a Johnathan Wilson shell which is lovely but it's steel same as yours and if not looked after will rust and sink! Yours is a modern boat built to industry standards and has been looked after by people that love her

I agree Peterboat... whilst not a boat I ran 2 Rolls Royces for over ten years both low mileage cars dealer maintained and to be honest found them to be far over rated with my Silver Shadow 2 with less than 68000 miles and dealer history dropped 3 pistons in as many years costing me £1000’s to sort. I now run 2 Chrysler 300 badges as Bentleys they ride smoother quieter and more comfortable ride and the pair cost me less than the 3 pistons for my Shadow so for me it’s not always true that a top brand means top value 

I see what you mean and I agree 100%. The day I went to look at her for the first time I remember thinking she looked a bit basic from the out side but then when I stepped aboard it was a case of Wow. The quality of the interior fit out is testimony to the owners desire to build a beautiful home. 

I think they may have stopped doing it now but a few years back the banks always used to ask, what I considered to be nosey questions, if you withdrew sizeable amounts of cash, two or three thousand say. They would ask what the money was for. My standard answer to this question was that the money was for drugs and prostitutes. Then would follow an awkward silence until the cashier worked out that this was my way of telling them that it was none of their damn business.

i can understand that money laundering questions would be asked if you were to deposit cash, I just can't get my head around why they were asking when I withdrew it.

Edited by Bewildered

24 minutes ago, Bewildered said:

I think they may have stopped doing it now but a few years back the banks always used to ask, what I considered to be nosey questions, if you withdrew sizeable amounts of cash, two or three thousand say. They would ask what the money was for. My standard answer to this question was that the money was for drugs and prostitutes. Then would follow an awkward silence until the cashier worked out that this was my way of telling them that it was none of their damn business.

i can understand that money laundering questions would be asked if you were to deposit cash, I just can't get my head around why they were asking when I withdrew it.

This puts me in mind of what George Best said, when asked where all the money went that he earned as a world famous footballer.

"90% of it went on booze, women and fast cars. The rest of it, I wasted.

Lol! 

On 11/03/2020 at 20:39, mrsmelly said:

My wide beam was vastly better than any of my sewer tubes. I am again at present living on a sewer tube as I wanted to go further afield again should I move back to live on serious waterways again in the future I will buy another wide beam, its a no brainer. Just be considerate in the locations you use it!! 

Yes PLEASE!  Not like the wazzuk moored almost opposite the Braunston turn water point northbound.  

39 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

This puts me in mind of what George Best said, when asked where all the money went that he earned as a world famous footballer.

"90% of it went on booze, women and fast cars. The rest of it, I wasted.

Lol! 

IIRC he died in the week before the Buncefield Refinery explosion, and some wag said "in hindsight, it was a mistake to cremate George Best" ??? 

12 minutes ago, rustynewbery said:

Yes PLEASE!  Not like the wazzuk moored almost opposite the Braunston turn water point northbound.  

IMHO widebeams should not be anywhere on that tiny waterway.