Not that I’m counting

fergyguy

Featured Posts

Well not that I’m counting but finally I can say my house completion is on Monday 16th so 6 more days to go before I pay for my boat and start moving boxes of my worldly belongings aboard. Why the delay? The buyer decided 10 days before original completion date of February 28th to start trying to find issues with the house in a bid to reduce the price but we have finally got that stupid issue sorted and both solicitors have confirmed it’s happening March 16th.

iv allowed myself a few days to unpack and get stuff put away and will be starting my new life on the water as from Sunday 22nd when Misty (Labrador) and me move aboard Freedom currently moored at Mercia Marina. I will update you on how the move went once I’m sorted.

• Greenie 2

Good luck, I hope the completion does actually happen on the due date and you move on board without any more delays and traumas.

House buying and selling in the UK can be a very uncertain business and we much prefer the system here. Sign the sale agreement with a fixed completion date and the buyer has to pay 10% to the Notaire. Then the buyer has a 10 day cooling off period, and if after that they try pulling out without a really really good reason, they lose the deposit. This doesn’t happen very often, for obvious reasons.

It has been a nightmare but it’s only because the buyer thought he was going to get us to knock £1000s of the already agreed price. I’m now looking forward to the 16th and getting my boat paid for so my new life chapter can begin

7 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

I always thought that once you exchange contracts the deal was done

It is, but the OP spent a month not believing those who were telling him that until contracts are exchanged the house isn't sold.

Even then the buyer can still walk away (but lose their 10% deposit).

Just now, TheBiscuits said:

It is, but the OP spent a month not believing those who were telling him that until contracts are exchanged the house isn't sold.

Even then the buyer can still walk away (but lose their 10% deposit).

Even now the buyer can still walk away I suspect, as the OP still has not mentioned contracts exchange, only 'its happening' on 26th March.

Whatever 'it' is. 

I didn’t not believe what folk were saying  by any means but wasn’t expecting the buyer to suddenly pull a bloody stunt which has delayed things. Exchange and completion being done Monday so unless the buyer suddenly has a change of mind it’s all about to happen... at last

Oh Mike was you an undertaker in a previous life? It means exchange and completion is ALL being done on Monday... I know your happy for me really lol you just good at hiding it ?

1 minute ago, fergyguy said:

I didn’t not believe what folk were saying  by any means but wasn’t expecting the buyer to suddenly pull a bloody stunt which has delayed things. Exchange and completion being done Monday so unless the buyer suddenly has a change of mind it’s all about to happen... at last

In which case the buyer is free to pull out or have an other bash at chipping the price, right up until 16th March.

You really should INSIST on contract exchange NOW, to lock the terms of the deal. 

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

I hope the buyer has his Aldi bag full of money ready for Monday

Oh, is it @Alan de Enfield buying @fergyguy's house?

Odd that, because Alan strikes me as the sort of chap who would strike a tough deal but stick to it, not one who would try dirty weasel tricks a week after contracts were supposed to be exchanged.

• Haha 1