Bridgewater Canal closure from 5.2.20

Pie Eater

Featured Posts

Where do you find these stoppages Pie Eater?

I can only find stoppages up to March last year on the stoppages page on bridgewatercanal.co.uk

Scrub that-just found it-Ive always looked on 'stoppages' and info is infact on 'News' for anyone else that cant find it.

Edited by PaulJ
Sussed it!
  • Greenie 1

It's nice that they gave notice this time, unlike Saturday 25th Jan when I arrived to find a "Bridge Shut" notice cable tied to the handrail!

Fortunately I made it, but stopped briefly whilst I had a quick look at what's going on. Hopefully the videos I post work.

The problem is with the Barton Lane Aqueduct (not the swing aqueduct) in that the canal is leaking through or around the iron trough the canal runs through at this point, and is appearing through the gaps in the bricks. It will be interesting to see how this pans out.

18 hours ago, PaulJ said:

Where do you find these stoppages Pie Eater?

I can only find stoppages up to March last year on the stoppages page on bridgewatercanal.co.uk

Scrub that-just found it-Ive always looked on 'stoppages' and info is infact on 'News' for anyone else that cant find it.

Paul

As far as I am aware all Bridgewater boaters who are on the Bridgewater Canal Company mailing list get stoppage emails.

Oh crap, I suppose if the aqueduct is leaking it could be closed for months.

Ah, I see this is not the aqueduct itself, but that is closed from 9th March for a couple of weeks. Hopefully the other unplanned closure will get cleared quickly.

Edited by Galilee

No further updates as yet from the Bridgewater Canal Company.

The "tank" has been swung stopping boaters on the Bridgewater Canal from crossing the Manchester Ship Canal.

The canal has been blocked off near Lorenz's boatyard.

Liam's video in an earlier post shows the problem and when I looked yesterday the water seeping through the bridge wall had flooded the road as well as the pavement.

I did not see any signs anywhere on the canal warning boaters off the stoppage.

• Greenie 1

Hi Steve... Is the canal still in water between Barton Yard and the Aqueduct or have they drained it again?

Any sign of action or work being done? I'm stuck  from getting back to base on the southern side at the mo.

1 hour ago, Pie Eater said:

Hi Liam

All the canal was still in water yesterday including the section between  Barton yard and the aqueduct and there was no sign of any work being done.

Thanks Steve. I hope it's sorted sooner rather than later. It would be nice to hear that they are bringing the annual maintenance of the aqueduct forward to coincide with any work they're doing at Barton Lane so it doesn't have to shut twice (if it's even open by then!) but that's probably too much to ask.