The first thing I will want to get working is the heating!

huami

Featured Posts

Tomorrow (Wednesday 5th February) I am going to my new boat (huami) (New for me anyway!) and taking a rucksack full of cleaning materials to give the boat a once over so that when I return on Friday, helped by my friend, we will be able to unpack things and he can take the empty suitcases back to London. I decided it was a lot easier to get a taxi from London Chelsea to Whilton Marina and not so much more expensive that four journeys on the tube, two return train tickets (and two more taxi journeys at the Whilton end)) and a lot of carrying five heavy suitcases.

Tomorrow I will also get the insurance, CRT license and the Canal Rescue policy sorted.

The first thing I will want to get working is the heating but I have already inquired at the local Whilton Chandlers and they seem to have everything I will need.

My next big project is to get Solar panels installed although I don’t think they will be able to contribute very much at the moment with the lack of sunshine.

Please !! if anyone can advise me or recommend a company in the vicinity of Whilton Marina who can both supply and install a solar system I would be most grateful.

As always thanks so much for your advice and suggestions.

Neil – NB huami

Sounds extravagant - but Mrs. Athy and I have taken taxis from here to Luton Airport a couple of times, which is the same distance within a mile or two, just over a hundred pounds I think, but worth it for the convenience.

Hi Neil

Hope it all goes well with your new adventure. I don't know the area, but from what you've said, I would expect the people at Whilton Marina to be able to advise you of any solar installers in the area. I've got 1 flexible 100W panel fitted which cost me just over £100 off Ebay. It was fitted by myself, with a lot of help from Pete, who owned the boat moored next to me. I would advise you to look around the marina and start talking to people who have solar on their roofs, they will tell you what's good and bad about their set up, and you may even find someone who will guide you through the fitting for a pint or two.

I would advise going for the bronze membership of RCR, for that you will get 4 call outs and replacement parts cover, it's unlikely you would need anything more than that.

Enjoy the next few days.

Kevin

10 minutes ago, Athy said:

Sounds extravagant - but Mrs. Athy and I have taken taxis from here to Luton Airport a couple of times, which is the same distance within a mile or two, just over a hundred pounds I think, but worth it for the convenience.

I have been quoted £115.00 so possibly even cheaper with the Taxi because 2 train tickets return are £68.00 then Taxi's and tube fairs ...

Once in a while ...

• Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, Kendorr said:

Hi Neil

Hope it all goes well with your new adventure. I don't know the area, but from what you've said, I would expect the people at Whilton Marina to be able to advise you of any solar installers in the area. I've got 1 flexible 100W panel fitted which cost me just over £100 off Ebay. It was fitted by myself, with a lot of help from Pete, who owned the boat moored next to me. I would advise you to look around the marina and start talking to people who have solar on their roofs, they will tell you what's good and bad about their set up, and you may even find someone who will guide you through the fitting for a pint or two.

I would advise going for the bronze membership of RCR, for that you will get 4 call outs and replacement parts cover, it's unlikely you would need anything more than that.

Enjoy the next few days.

Kevin

Hi Kevin .... Hull was my birth place!

Good advice to ask others with solar in the marina ... thanks, and I was pondering between the bronze and the next one up for the Canal rescue but I think I will take your advice and stick with the bronze.

Thanks for the input ...

Neil – NB huami

• Happy 1

Just one bit of advice. Whenever I buy a boat the day I pick it up I put a new set of batteries on it, this is after several boats and many years living aboard. Unless you absolutely know for certain they are new and have been maintained properly they arnt worth messing about with. If its been in the marina not on hook up like as not they will be shagged anyway.

2 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

I haven’t read everything about your new venture. Do you have an issue with the heating on Huami?

No .... no problem (I hope!) ....  just that I will need to get it fired up and working because after being years in Thailand it is to say the least a little cooler here!

Neil  – NB huami

2 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Just one bit of advice. Whenever I buy a boat the day I pick it up I put a new set of batteries on it, this is after several boats and many years living aboard. Unless you absolutely know for certain they are new and have been maintained properly they arnt worth messing about with. If its been in the marina not on hook up like as not they will be shagged anyway.

Hi mrsmelly ....

Possibly very good advice and I am hoping that if I find a company to install solar for me they will also check that sort of thing (I hope!).

Thanks as always,

Neil – NB huami

1 minute ago, mrsmelly said:

Neil, if you get stuck or need advice on how stuff works on your boat etc I am only about an hours drive away and dont mind popping up if thats any help? I am busy  most of tomorrow but then am clear between sort of 10 and 3 each day after that. You can reply on here or pm if you prefer.

Tim

What a great offer, Tim :)

• Greenie 1

10 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Neil, if you get stuck or need advice on how stuff works on your boat etc I am only about an hours drive away and dont mind popping up if thats any help? I am busy  most of tomorrow but then am clear between sort of 10 and 3 each day after that. You can reply on here or pm if you prefer.

Tim

Hi Tim, Thanks so much for the offer of help or advice and I would love to be able to contact you if I do get into problems .... however, my first problem is "I don't know how to send a PM", possibly you can explain.

Thanks again ..

Neil  – NB huami

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Gayzingalone said:

Hi Tim, Thanks so much for the offer of help or advice and I would love to be able to contact you if I do get into problems .... however, my first problem is "I don't know how to send a PM", possibly you can explain.

You should just have received an explanatory P.M.

5 minutes ago, Gayzingalone said:

Thanks again ..

Neil  – NB huami

Click on the smelly picture, top left of his post, which will take you to his profile page, on there is a link to click to send a PM

Hi all ...

I have another question ... How can I place photo's into a posting?

A couple of times people have asked can I show some photo's of the boat but I don't know where to start to post photo's.

Any help would be appreciated ...

Neil  – NB huami

1 minute ago, Gayzingalone said:

Hi all ...

I have another question ... How can I place photo's into a posting?

A couple of times people have asked can I show some photo's of the boat but I don't know where to start to post photo's.

Any help would be appreciated ...

Neil  – NB huami

When you post a message, at the bottom there is an attachment thingie with " Choose files " underlined. I click on that and find fotos I have put on my chromebook.