Another boat fire

ditchcrawler

Featured Posts

20 minutes ago, Alastair said:

I've had that. Inspector said there wasn't an isolator on the engine. I said there was. He demanded to be shown isolator - I pointed it out to him. He refused to accept it was an isolator.

He normally surveyed GRP boats and occasional narrowboats. A big F-O isolator where the key was a stainless steel handle was so far out of his experience he couldn't even recognise it. 

I paid for another inspector. Boat passed with flying colours.

There appears to be a variation in standards between inspectors.What one inspector thinks is ok may well have another failing the boat.

I have used two inspectors,one was very strict,and the other was more laid back.

Both boats passed,but with some recommendations from the strict inspector.

7 minutes ago, Mad Harold said:

There appears to be a variation in standards between inspectors.What one inspector thinks is ok may well have another failing the boat.

I have used two inspectors,one was very strict,and the other was more laid back.

Both boats passed,but with some recommendations from the strict inspector.

I don't want to be pedantic but this illustrates the problem with some BSS inspectors. When you pay for a BSS inspection the inspector should fill in the forms, one of which should show the ADVISORY item failures. Anything more than that is in excess of the BSS requirements. Now there is nothing to stop the examiner explaining why the ADVISORY failures are bests practice but I don't see that extends to actually making recommendations although I suppose many would take both the form and any explanation as being recommendations..