Liveaboard Budget Boat Recommendations

skipjacktuna

Featured Posts

11 minutes ago, Graham Davis said:

Note that his exact words were "" I'm lucky enough to own the rights to a communal stretch of land which backs onto the river"" so I did realise he was talking about the Thames, and is why I stated he should check the legal status very carefully. 

Yes that struck me as just the sort of claptrap uttered by those who claim to be "freemen of the land", trying to convince both themselves and other that there is some sort of legal basis to their occupation of <somewhere>.

Sorry Jack, but can you expand on what you mean please, if your statement is legitimate? Thanks. 

2 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Yes that struck me as just the sort of claptrap uttered by those who claim to be "freemen of the land", trying to convince both themselves and other that there is some sort of legal basis to their occupation of <somewhere>.

Sorry Jack, but can you expand on what you mean please, if your statement is legitimate? Thanks. 

A bloke in the pub sold me the mooring rights for a hundred quid, but now I think about it he never did post the paperwork ...

12 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

A bloke in the pub sold me the mooring rights for a hundred quid, but now I think about it he never did post the paperwork ...

And immediately we have a dispute over who really owns the mooring rights Jack thinks he owns.....

4 hours ago, David Mack said:

As long as the boat is no more than 7ft beam you can do the trip via the Cam, Great Ouse, Middle Level, Nene, Northampton Arm and Grand Union, but its a roundabout route and will take around a fortnight.

3 hours ago, skipjacktuna said:

Really?! That's brilliant news, I've looked online for some resources but I can't find anything. Where is the best place to start? Thank you for your help.

To clarify I would need to get it onto the Thames and towards Reading.

Surely a "30' Steel Dutch Cruiser" is likely to be more than 7 feet beam?  (Unless I don't know what one is, of course).

If so it will not come up the Northampton Arm, which has only 7' wide locks.

You can only do that journey with something no wider than a narrow boat.

44 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

This use to happen on the Broads where some parishioners had the right to use the village stath, just like some are entitled to run animals on common land but its not all straightforward 

The government of the day (some years ago) pulled the plug - not without due warning - on unclaimed riparian rights. I did and now in theory I can chop down dead trees and let my coos, ducks, chickens and so forth - run amock on our adjoining common, in theory as the local P.C. (not PC) do what they blurry well like anyway.

Mooring is not a right of common anyway - show me otherwise - and accordingly I'm saying it's male-cow-effluent.

'twas QI to stop and think awhile.

I seem to remember news reports a year or two back about somewhere on the Thames (can't remember where now) where the locals had been mooring boats for years without question because the land ownership was unknown, then the EA claimed it, on apparently little more of a basis than that if nobody else owned it, as riverside land then they did. There was talk of legal action, but I don't recall what happened. Is the OP's 'shared ownership' one of these situations?

4 hours ago, David Mack said:

I seem to remember news reports a year or two back about somewhere on the Thames (can't remember where now) where the locals had been mooring boats for years without question because the land ownership was unknown, then the EA claimed it, on apparently little more of a basis than that if nobody else owned it, as riverside land then they did. There was talk of legal action, but I don't recall what happened. Is the OP's 'shared ownership' one of these situations?

I think that was perhaps the plot at Oxford, just next to the first lock onto the canal. Castle mill stream I think.

9 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I think that was perhaps the plot at Oxford, just next to the first lock onto the canal. Castle mill stream I think.

That's on CaRT's waters (?) or mebe not because it feeds into the Sheepwash channel which is EA's - or is it?

Anyway..... that area has been cleaned up somewhat and all is quiet - pro tem

13 hours ago, David Mack said:

There is (at least one) just downstream of Sunbury lock where there has boat moored for many years without fuss - until  - until some smart arse(s) enclosed the land and claimed squatters rights. (A dumb move IMHO as now Thames Water  who turned a blind eye have 'sprung into action' which will take a long time). The land adjoining is a disused reservoir and has been for many years, thus I suspect tracing any documentation will take a long time.

1 hour ago, OldGoat said:

There is (at least one) just downstream of Sunbury lock where there has boat moored for many years without fuss - until  - until some smart arse(s) enclosed the land and claimed squatters rights. (A dumb move IMHO as now Thames Water  who turned a blind eye have 'sprung into action' which will take a long time). The land adjoining is a disused reservoir and has been for many years, thus I suspect tracing any documentation will take a long time.

That may be the one I was thinking of.

The moorings below Sunbury were squatted for a number of years after which time the EA put in an adverse possession claim as default land owners. 

The boaters who had been there for 10+ years then put in their own claim and fenced off their individual "plots". 

Interesting situation. I can't really see how the boaters could be allowed to effectively acquire the land for nothing but you never know !! 

There are some houses further down the owners of which had built jetties to moor boats prior to the squatter boats arriving on the same reach, and these house owners now have the EA attempting to claim ownership of the Riverside land they have built their jetties on. 

Public footpath seems to explain the non ownership of the actual river bank plus the fact it's not particularly well set up for mooring. 

Edited by magnetman
  • Greenie 1

I thought public footpaths in general ran over land that is owned by somebody?

The "public" bit refers to the right of way, which exists regardless of actual land ownership.  Otherwise, what does PROW mean?

(Not to be confused with a right of access given by eg Network Rail so that you can walk through a station car park).

3 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

The Nelson 42 looks a good boat, and cheap if it goes at the guide price.

Engines run up, tidy inside, a good rub down and polish outside and its a £40k+ boat

668.jpeg

Yeah I like those.

I'm not convinced it's 11 foot draught though - they are more this shape ...

213462_a1beb3a340ba22b6f685688ab2e814b8.

• 2 weeks later...
On 02/02/2020 at 10:06, Mike the Boilerman said:

That's gonna be really difficult on The Thames. Firstly towpath moorings longer than 24hrs are pretty rare, and secondly any boat in a bit of a state hanging around for more than a few days is gonna have the busibodies and the authorities on it in a flash.

My own view is Jack would be best off getting a personal loan and topping his £3k up to about £10k, and buying that Highbridge discussed in several threads here. Totally so much better value for money and a finished and immediately useable boat.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/114074234632?ViewItem=&item=114074234632

s-l1600.jpg

Hi does anyone know roughly what it would cost to transport this to Northern Ireland  

8 hours ago, Mark63 said:

Hi does anyone know roughly what it would cost to transport this to Northern Ireland  

If you give these guys a call they will give you a quote.

http://bargemovers.com/ (I used these guys in October last year and was very pleased with the service)

https://www.boathaulage.co.uk/

It may even fit on this guy's trailer

http://www.tonytugboats.com/13.html