Liveaboard Budget Boat Recommendations

skipjacktuna

Featured Posts

I'm looking to purchase an affordable boat to liveaboard on the Thames. My budget is £3000 or under but this does not include renovation costs, I would really appreciate any recommendations or advice on what boats would be suitable. 

Thank you for taking the time to read my post!

Jack

Hi Mike,

Thanks for replying to my post. I forgot to clarify that I'm not looking for anything special like a narrow boat or a barge. I appreciate that most 'liveaboard' or 'houseboats' are way out of my budget. I do believe it is possible to find something suitable. I was fortunate enough to find a 30ft Steel Dutch Cruiser in Cambridge which was within the budget, mechanically sound - I'll keep my fingers crossed.

6 minutes ago, skipjacktuna said:

Hi Mike,

Thanks for replying to my post. I forgot to clarify that I'm not looking for anything special like a narrow boat or a barge. I appreciate that most 'liveaboard' or 'houseboats' are way out of my budget. I do believe it is possible to find something suitable. I was fortunate enough to find a 30ft Steel Dutch Cruiser in Cambridge which was within the budget, mechanically sound - I'll keep my fingers crossed.

At that budget you are firmly in the "scour the boatyards and towpaths on foot in person and hope you get lucky" territory, I'd say. 

Even on ebay you'll be up against the idiots who will bid up a cheap boat then fail to complete the purchase, but which still denies you the chance to buy it. 

• Greenie 1

10 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

At that budget you are firmly in the "scour the boatyards and towpaths on foot in person and hope you get lucky" territory, I'd say. 

Even on ebay you'll be up against the idiots who will bid up a cheap boat then fail to complete the purchase, but which still denies you the chance to buy it. 

Haha, I know the feeling! Everything tends to go for extortionate prices on eBay. I'm only a young lad (19) but I have plenty experience with boats. I was a Sea Scout for a number of years and my Grandad built a small day boat appropriately named 'The Pretty Penny'. I'd really value some independence at this stage in my life and have considered living on a boat for quite some time.

Edited by skipjacktuna

There is this advertised at £2500 if you are good at major DIY

harborough50.jpg

HARBOROUGH MARINE 50 ft steel narrowboat with BMC 1500 cc diesel engine. This vessel has been completely destroyed internally by fire but although there is some steelwork distortion the craft is capable of rebuild.Lying Eynsham, Oxon

Or  this one at £3500

harborough57.jpg

HARBOROUGH 57ft steel narrowboat with GRP superstructure and Vetus inboard engine. Suffering severe fire damage to superstructure and interior - hull undamaged.Lying Rufford, Lancs

Or this one at £2000

warmglow.jpg

Methley Bridge Boatyard 50ft steel narrowboat built 2005 & powered by Beta 38hp diesel engine. Suffering serious fire damage and consequent distrortion. Lying Near Sutton Cheney, Leics

Or this one at £2000

suzi.jpg

ELYSIAN 28 ft GRP motor cruiser powered by two Renault 1200cc petrol engines. Serious fire damage in the cockpit area which has infiltrated the cabin. Lying near Wisbech, Cambridgeshire

• Greenie 1

Hi Alan,

I appreciate you taking the time to research these boats for me. Strangely enough I was on that website the other day but I was concerned that internal fire damage could effect the buoyancy of the boat? What are your thoughts and what would you consider the best option?

Many thanks!

Just now, skipjacktuna said:

Hi Alan,

I appreciate you taking the time to research these boats for me. Strangely enough I was on that website the other day but I was concerned that internal fire damage could effect the buoyancy of the boat? What are your thoughts and what would you consider the best option?

Many thanks!

4 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

There is this advertised at £2500 if you are good at major DIY

harborough50.jpg

HARBOROUGH MARINE 50 ft steel narrowboat with BMC 1500 cc diesel engine. This vessel has been completely destroyed internally by fire but although there is some steelwork distortion the craft is capable of rebuild.Lying Eynsham, Oxon

Or  this one at £3500

harborough57.jpg

HARBOROUGH 57ft steel narrowboat with GRP superstructure and Vetus inboard engine. Suffering severe fire damage to superstructure and interior - hull undamaged.Lying Rufford, Lancs

Or this one at £2000

warmglow.jpg

Methley Bridge Boatyard 50ft steel narrowboat built 2005 & powered by Beta 38hp diesel engine. Suffering serious fire damage and consequent distrortion. Lying Near Sutton Cheney, Leics

Or this one at £2000

suzi.jpg

ELYSIAN 28 ft GRP motor cruiser powered by two Renault 1200cc petrol engines. Serious fire damage in the cockpit area which has infiltrated the cabin. Lying near Wisbech, Cambridgeshire

Have you considered a boat rental/share? I know some people do 'flat share' type arrangements on boats and if you have the money for some on-going expenses (such as renovation) you might (and I know this is dull) be better to spend it on renting a 'room' in a boat. I'm not familiar with the Thames rules, or what most commonly happens in flat share type arrangements - I think sometimes people treat it like having a lodger - but on CRT canals if a whole boat is rented it needs to have a permanent mooring (and one or two other things) to be legit. A few people on my moorings do it and it is a nice way for them to see if they really like it/really like their new boat mates. I know of a couple of CC-ing boats which have a 'lodger' too.

If you buy a 3k boat and need to work to buy things to renovate it whilst living (presumably) with your parents and paying for the boat to be somewhere (probably out of the water so it can be worked on) it might take quite a long time for the 'independence' to kick in. Or, you may find yourself in a really horrible cold and unsafe place. Of course if your parents can pay for professionals to do it up a bit quicker you've lost an element of the independence before you've started but you get the 'own home' thing much sooner. Good luck!

Fire damaged GRP might be a difficult repair, I've never done it though. Fire damaged steel boat? I would say that so long as its not distorted then yes. Its a better bet than a knackered old joey boat that many of us started with. Big job but yes, have a go but keep the towpath and boat tidy to avoid attention as much as poss.

• Greenie 1

35 minutes ago, Bee said:

Big job but yes, have a go but keep the towpath and boat tidy to avoid attention as much as poss.

That's gonna be really difficult on The Thames. Firstly towpath moorings longer than 24hrs are pretty rare, and secondly any boat in a bit of a state hanging around for more than a few days is gonna have the busibodies and the authorities on it in a flash.

My own view is Jack would be best off getting a personal loan and topping his £3k up to about £10k, and buying that Highbridge discussed in several threads here. Totally so much better value for money and a finished and immediately useable boat.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/114074234632?ViewItem=&item=114074234632

s-l1600.jpg

• Greenie 1

Mike has touched on another point - where are you going to keep this boat? Paid for moorings will cost you a tidy sum. You can't (effectively) continuously cruise on the Thames, but you could join the thousands doing so on CRT canals and rivers. You'll still need a licence and insurance either way, just to stay legal.

11 hours ago, skipjacktuna said:

I was fortunate enough to find a 30ft Steel Dutch Cruiser in Cambridge which was within the budget, mechanically sound - I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Bit puzzled why you are asking, given you have a very suitable boat already...!

Or do you mean you didn't buy it because it was in Cambridge? I suggest you get back there and grab it. Sounds perfect. Book a lorry to bring it back to the Thames for you if you don't have time or it won't fit through the intervening waterways.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Bit puzzled why you are asking, given you have a very suitable boat already...!

Or do you mean you didn't buy it because it was in Cambridge? I suggest you get back there and grab it. Sounds perfect. Book a lorry to bring it back to the Thames for you if you don't have time or it won't fit through the intervening waterways.

Very good point! I would love to buy that boat however I have been quote £700+ to transport it which is an expense that I wanted to avoid. As far as I know there are no intervening waterways between Camebridge and the Thames. I could be wrong but its on council mooring on the river cam. 

1 hour ago, David Mack said:

Mike has touched on another point - where are you going to keep this boat? Paid for moorings will cost you a tidy sum. You can't (effectively) continuously cruise on the Thames, but you could join the thousands doing so on CRT canals and rivers. You'll still need a licence and insurance either way, just to stay legal.

I had considered that, I'm not going to make an irrational decisions until I've found a permanent spot to moor. I'm lucky enough to own the rights to a communal stretch of land which backs onto the river - the boat can be moored then if necessary. 

Edited by skipjacktuna

1 hour ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

That's gonna be really difficult on The Thames. Firstly towpath moorings longer than 24hrs are pretty rare, and secondly any boat in a bit of a state hanging around for more than a few days is gonna have the busibodies and the authorities on it in a flash.

My own view is Jack would be best off getting a personal loan and topping his £3k up to about £10k, and buying that Highbridge discussed in several threads here. Totally so much better value for money and a finished and immediately useable boat.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/114074234632?ViewItem=&item=114074234632

s-l1600.jpg

That looks like an incredible boat, other users on the thread have touched on the fact that the engine had a water leak. The owner had highlighted that its an easy fix and if so then why haven't they fixed it before sale? I don't think I would consider taking out a loan because I don't want to owe money to anyone. Alternatively I'd just have to save up a little longer until I can afford it!

7 hours ago, BilgePump said:

OP, do it. You'll never get another chance. The rest of us, remember that the OP has youth on their side, a luxury most of us have let pass by. £3k can find something like a Norman 23 in reasonable nick

This is more like something that I'm looking for. I have considered Norman style boats but I'd also be happy with a project boat which needed refurbishing on the interior. 

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, skipjacktuna said:

Very good point! I would love to buy that boat however I have been quote £700+ to transport it which is an expense that I wanted to avoid. As far as I know there are no intervening waterways between Camebridge and the Thames. I could be wrong but its on council mooring on the river cam. 

As long as the boat is no more than 7ft beam you can do the trip via the Cam, Great Ouse, Middle Level, Nene, Northampton Arm and Grand Union, but its a roundabout route and will take around a fortnight.

Just now, David Mack said:

As long as the boat is no more than 7ft beam you can do the trip via the Cam, Great Ouse, Middle Level, Nene, Northampton Arm and Grand Union, but its a roundabout route and will take around a fortnight.

Really?! That's brilliant news, I've looked online for some resources but I can't find anything. Where is the best place to start? Thank you for your help.

Just now, David Mack said:

To clarify I would need to get it onto the Thames and towards Reading.

14 minutes ago, skipjacktuna said:

Really?! That's brilliant news, I've looked online for some resources but I can't find anything. Where is the best place to start? Thank you for your help.

To clarify I would need to get it onto the Thames and towards Reading.

Not really, really brilliant... If you're buying something you can't cook / wash / sleep on you'll end up paying more in hotels / petrol to drive there and back than you'll save by having it shipped by lorry.

If you're already working yourself your time has some value (lots of retired ppl on here...), think what you could earn in 2 weeks...

If you're just messing around on a gap year then it doesn't really matter. And nor does the boat :-)

Edited to add: Canal Plan will do your route planning for you.

Edited by TheMenagerieAfloat

3 hours ago, skipjacktuna said:

I had considered that, I'm not going to make an irrational decisions until I've found a permanent spot to moor. I'm lucky enough to own the rights to a communal stretch of land which backs onto the river - the boat can be moored then if necessary. 

That doesn't make sense. If it is communal then isn't it owned by the Community? 
I think you need to check the legal status of this very carefully.

I also think you need to carefully study this site:
https://canalplan.org.uk/
so that you can see what is connected to what.

53 minutes ago, Graham Davis said:

That doesn't make sense. If it is communal then isn't it owned by the Community? 
I think you need to check the legal status of this very carefully.

I also think you need to carefully study this site:
https://canalplan.org.uk/
so that you can see what is connected to what.

The OP is talking about the Thames, not about the canal system.

The Thames being what it is = expensive, I doubt if there's anywhere certainly not in the Reading area that's owned by a community.

However, there are a number of squats / encampments where the landowner may not enforce his rights or charge only a nominal rent. 

He will be liable for  a Thames registration (= licence) anyway).

Edited by OldGoat

16 minutes ago, OldGoat said:

The Thames being what it is = expensive, I doubt if there's anywhere certainly not in the Reading area that's owned by a community.

However, there are a number of squats / encampments where the landowner may not enforce his rights or charge only a nominal rent. 

He will be liable for

My guess would be he is planning on joining the illegals on the Tesco mooring.

10 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

My guess would be he is planning on joining the illegals on the Tesco mooring.

There's an ever increasing number of vessels on the downstream side of Kennet Mouth and more firther upstream near Tilehurst...

1 hour ago, OldGoat said:

He will be liable for  a Thames registration (= licence) anyway).

Note that his exact words were "" I'm lucky enough to own the rights to a communal stretch of land which backs onto the river"" so I did realise he was talking about the Thames, and is why I stated he should check the legal status very carefully. 

• Greenie 1

9 minutes ago, Graham Davis said:

Note that his exact words were "" I'm lucky enough to own the rights to a communal stretch of land which backs onto the river"" so I did realise he was talking about the Thames, and is why I stated he should check the legal status very carefully. 

This use to happen on the Broads where some parishioners had the right to use the village stath, just like some are entitled to run animals on common land but its not all straightforward