Another Manchester incident

rgreg

Featured Posts

5 hours ago, Athy said:

You'll wear out the question mark key on your keyboard: that must be at least your second one today.

If you gave us a clue as to what question you're asking, someone might be able to answer it.

No, " that must be at least [the] second one today"  is factually incorrect. It's in fact the first.

You may see now why I struggle to accept everything which you say.:)

3 hours ago, frahkn said:

No, " that must be at least [the] second one today"  is factually incorrect. It's in fact the first.

You may see now why I struggle to accept everything which you say.:)

You should never accept everything anyone says without at least four levels of verification. If it's on the Internet, twelve and it probably won't be true anyway. Would a discussion about the nature of truth have to be moved to the current affairs section? Could cause carnage over there. 

36 minutes ago, Athy said:

No, I don't. I'm sorry to hear of your struggle, but do keep trying.

Well Athy, when you post something that is in fact incorrect, as you have done in this case, I have to assume that you are (to put it neutrally) careless of the relationship of your posts to the truth.

You know, because I have told you previously, that I don't really struggle, I have given that up, I was just trying to accommodate your apparent sensitivity to any criticism!

25 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

You should never accept everything anyone says without at least four levels of verification. If it's on the Internet, twelve and it probably won't be true anyway. Would a discussion about the nature of truth have to be moved to the current affairs section? Could cause carnage over there. 

Hopefully not Arthur - I think that a line of thought that was common before Plato need not be limited to current affairs.

However this is the internet, and a slightly unique part of it, so who knows?

Plenty of pushers, and receivers, in that part of Manchester. Plenty of all sorts actually. Some of the excesses in and around Canal Street have to be heard from those indulging in them to be believed. Random sex with 10 different strangers over a weekend, actively seeking out an hiv positive partner in order to feel a proper part of the 'club', glory holes at parties, and lots more. 

7 hours ago, frahkn said:

Well Athy, when you post something that is in fact incorrect, as you have done in this case, I have to assume that you are (to put it neutrally) careless of the relationship of your posts to the truth.

But I have not, so you assume wrongly.

But that is beside the point. Just posting a question mark as a response to a post doesn't really tell the reader much. If you are baffled by a comment, don't hesitate to say so, so that it can be explained.

2 hours ago, Philip said:

Slightly off topic, but what is Castlefield like as a place to stop overnight nowadays? Are Stretford and Sale better now?

Not that easy to get moored in Castlefield, there are now a lot of permanently moored boats, but if you can, it’s fine in our experience. Don’t think I’d want to moor at Stretford other than in the marina, but Sale seems fine.

2 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

Not that easy to get moored in Castlefield, there are now a lot of permanently moored boats, but if you can, it’s fine in our experience. Don’t think I’d want to moor at Stretford other than in the marina, but Sale seems fine.

Yes, I moored in Castlefield a couple of times last year and both occasions were a struggle to get in; much busier than previous years. Once you're in it's fine. Sale and Piccadilly/Telford Basins (if you're going that way) are other options. 

1 hour ago, nicknorman said:

I heard a rather strange tale , third hand , about permanent mooring in Castlefield. Some boats there do not have Bridgewater licenses,though  they may have CRT license,BSS,Insurance. Consequently, they are fined £40 per week by B.C.C. The moorers consider this good value for money for a central Manchester  spot. Bridgewater  make  more money that way than from an annual license , so no pressure to do anything about it. Can anyone confirm the facts about this ,  it seems unlikely to me?

2 hours ago, Athy said:

But I have not, so you assume wrongly.

This is getting silly, your post was not factually correct and you know it. Always trying to cover your posterior can become pathological.

Athy (post 27) "You'll wear out the question mark key on your keyboard: that must be at least your second one today".

Fact - the question mark was the first one posted "today".

Re-reading this, I see that I am in danger of sounding a bit like you. Can't have that, so I'll stop.

6 minutes ago, frahkn said:

Re-reading this, I see that I am in danger of sounding a bit like you. 

I am flattered by your aspiration, but fear that you may have a way to go.

6 minutes ago, frahkn said:

This is getting silly, your post was not factually correct and you know it.

Yes it is, rather, and it's time you dropped the subject, and ceased making incorrect allegations.

Edited by Athy

37 minutes ago, billh said:

I heard a rather strange tale , third hand , about permanent mooring in Castlefield. Some boats there do not have Bridgewater licenses,though  they may have CRT license,BSS,Insurance. Consequently, they are fined £40 per week by B.C.C. The moorers consider this good value for money for a central Manchester  spot. Bridgewater  make  more money that way than from an annual license , so no pressure to do anything about it. Can anyone confirm the facts about this ,  it seems unlikely to me?

Not heard that but Bridgwater don't mark which moorings are let long term which doesn't help, some moorers have put their names on the moorings which help

31 minutes ago, Athy said:

Yes it is, rather, and it's time you dropped the subject, and ceased making incorrect allegations.

Aha, so mods here now have the power to downgrade a verifiable fact to an 'incorrect allegation'. Lol!

• Greenie 1

3 hours ago, David Mack said:

We moored overnight above Lock 92 last year.

We could not see a space last year but had enough time to go up the Nine (which were doing anyway) and moor above. Plenty of room and just as safe.unsafe as Castlefield. You can also look at new Islington (where we have also stayed overnight) or the Ashton canal

14 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

We could not see a space last year but had enough time to go up the Nine (which were doing anyway) and moor above

There are rings just after the lock landing, but not many of them.  About three boats worth from memory.

It's also an unsigned mooring, so 14 days on a CRT licence instead of an overnight (?) stop below the lock. 

I can't remember if Castlefield Basin is the usual 24 hours maximum or if that's one of the very few 48/72 hour mooring sites on the Bridgewater - Lymm being the other one I can think of.

15 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

We could not see a space last year but had enough time to go up the Nine (which were doing anyway) and moor above. Plenty of room and just as safe.unsafe as Castlefield. You can also look at new Islington (where we have also stayed overnight) or the Ashton canal

We set off down the nine about 6.30 pm then were unable to get through lock 87 as the bottom gates wouldn't hold water. Called CRT out, and by the time we got going again it was pretty late and we arrived at the bottom around 11.00 pm.  A quick look below lock 92 suggested we might not find anywhere to moor, and I didn't really feel like pushing on to Sale, so we stopped above 92.

1 hour ago, TheBiscuits said:

There are rings just after the lock landing, but not many of them.  About three boats worth from memory.

It's also an unsigned mooring, so 14 days on a CRT licence instead of an overnight (?) stop below the lock. 

I can't remember if Castlefield Basin is the usual 24 hours maximum or if that's one of the very few 48/72 hour mooring sites on the Bridgewater - Lymm being the other one I can think of.

see https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Ducie+St,+Manchester/@53.4801148,-2.2304031,48m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x487bb1bdae2a78e3:0x20c1b669f1cd8025!8m2!3d53.4801749!4d-2.2292814

We moored on the eastern side as this has much less, almost nil, passing footfall, unlike the opposite bank (which was the official designated overnight mooring back when you had to wait to first thing in the morning to be let up the main part of the Rochdale). Even so, the folk enjoying the open space there were no real problem even if, by reputation, some of them do meet for retail purposes. 

Ducie Street Mooring.jpg

5 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Aha, so mods here now have the power to downgrade a verifiable fact to an 'incorrect allegation'. Lol!

:D

Well this one doesn't, as that would be dishonest, and I don't think any of my colleagues do either.

Edited by Athy

2 hours ago, Mike Todd said:

see https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Ducie+St,+Manchester/@53.4801148,-2.2304031,48m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x487bb1bdae2a78e3:0x20c1b669f1cd8025!8m2!3d53.4801749!4d-2.2292814

We moored on the eastern side as this has much less, almost nil, passing footfall, unlike the opposite bank (which was the official designated overnight mooring back when you had to wait to first thing in the morning to be let up the main part of the Rochdale). Even so, the folk enjoying the open space there were no real problem even if, by reputation, some of them do meet for retail purposes. 

Ducie Street Mooring.jpg

We've moored on the jetty below /along that office building a few times, don't know if it's still allowed or who would move you on. There are some steps up to a gate next to the road.