Another Manchester incident

rgreg

Featured Posts

I was a Manchester incident in January 2014. Slipped and fell into the canal at Stretford, (M32). Thought I was a gonner for a few seconds, got myself out, drove home, had a warm bath.

Didnt make the Evening News like this guy, who did much the same as me.

1 minute ago, alan_fincher said:

Who is that then Mike? ?

Anyone who might be 'offended' or 'upset', silly!

Did you not see the other thread which got mutilated by mods worried about relatives of a person who drowned hypothetically visiting and being 'upset' by speculation about how the accident happened? 

4 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Did you not see the other thread which got mutilated by mods worried about relatives of a person who drowned hypothetically visiting and being 'upset' by speculation about how the accident happened? 

Contrary to possible appearances, I actually read remarkably few threads on CWDF these days, (although undoubtedly still to many, or I wouldn't be here now!).

It has become an even more bizarre place than it ever was I think, particularly when people have to boast of the vast number of people they have on their "ignore" list, (and still flounce eventually anyway!).

I did once have someone on an ignore list - they actually asked me to put them there as a test - however, curiously,  I never saw a request to take them back off again.... Now why was that, I wonder? ? 

12 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Oh no, I hope nobody mentions the "Manchester Pusher"...

... in case somebody reads it. 

The grandson of a close friend died on a night out in Manchester - he got separated from his friends and was found under a railway arch - hypothermia

I wonder how such things fit in with the "pusher" theory? Or am I being a spoilsport for allowing reality to intervene? ;)  

8 minutes ago, magpie patrick said:

The grandson of a close friend died on a night out in Manchester - he got separated from his friends and was found under a railway arch - hypothermia

I wonder how such things fit in with the "pusher" theory? Or am I being a spoilsport for allowing reality to intervene? ;)  

Without knowing the full details of your friends grandsons early demise I suspect that alcohol may have been a contributory factor as it is in many premature deaths. I speculated as such on a recent thread relating to a body in a canal however my views were moderated out . 

4 minutes ago, Troyboy said:

Without knowing the full details of your friends grandsons early demise I suspect that alcohol may have been a contributory factor as it is in many premature deaths. I speculated as such on a recent thread relating to a body in a canal however my views were moderated out . 

Spot on...

6 hours ago, BilgePump said:

I suspect that the 'Manchester pusher' goes by other names, booze, sauce, idiocy being a few

12 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

Contrary to possible appearances, I actually read remarkably few threads on CWDF these days, (although undoubtedly still to many, or I wouldn't be here now!).

It has become an even more bizarre place than it ever was I think, particularly when people have to boast of the vast number of people they have on their "ignore" list, (and still flounce eventually anyway!).

I did once have someone on an ignore list - they actually asked me to put them there as a test - however, curiously,  I never saw a request to take them back off again.... Now why was that, I wonder? ? 

There's been a considerable poisoning of the atmosphere leaking from the political threads, I think.  Why boaters should think they know anything about politics, or that their views matter to anyone except themselves, I don't know, but things get said (by otherwise perfectly pleasant people) that you would normally attribute to a troll and ignore,, and then sometimes you feel you have to respond because you can't let something that unpleasant pass, and on it goes...

Whole political bit should be scrapped.  The discussions would fit perfectly well in the pub.

• Greenie 1

52 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Whole political bit should be scrapped.  The discussions would fit perfectly well in the pub.

Surely if people were discussing politics in the pub the effect would be the same.   IIRC the Politics and current events section was started so others could more easily avoid such discussions.   More easily than if they were mixed on with threads in the pub.

1 hour ago, Jerra said:

Surely if people were discussing politics in the pub the effect would be the same.   IIRC the Politics and current events section was started so others could more easily avoid such discussions.   More easily than if they were mixed on with threads in the pub.

You're right of course.  I'll try to cure myself of looking at it...

• Love 1

16 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Oh no, I hope nobody mentions the "Manchester Pusher"...

... in case somebody reads it. 

No it's permitted to discuss the pusher if it's a Northern incident.  It's only when it's one of the much more important Southerners that we have to be more respectful.

• Greenie 2
  • Haha 2

16 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

No it's permitted to discuss the pusher if it's a Northern incident.  It's only when it's one of the much more important Southerners that we have to be more respectful.

I think nearer the truth is that, in this instance, the instance was in Manchester and in an area where several people who may have been inebriated have ended up in the canal, hence the origin of the mythical "Manchester pusher" - in the other thread the very first post referred to the Manchester pusher having started operating in Shropshire (I seem to recall, but not Manchester anyway)

As has been suggested, the Manchester Pusher probably goes by the name Al K Hall, amongst others. It could be these three people were from the temperance movement and had lost their way in the dark before blundering into the canal, but it's not very likely.

5 minutes ago, frahkn said:

?

You'll wear out the question mark key on your keyboard: that must be at least your second one today.

If you gave us a clue as to what question you're asking, someone might be able to answer it.