Double Glazing and Dampness

Andy Durnin

Featured Posts

Our windows on our NB are getting bit grubby and sometimes leak so we are thinking about replacing them.

The obvious choice would be double glazing, and then i began to think.

The existing windows attract condensation and need wiping dry.

To be honest we can sometimes control this with a bit of air management.

But and here is the question, is condensation on windows a bad thing as the windows are acting similar to a dehumidifier and help remove the damp air with the occasional wipe of a cloth.

If we went for the double glazing, my way of thinking makes me think the damp air will condensate elsewhere on the boat and possibly not be visible until the damage begins. 

Any comments and experience of double glazing much appreciated.

36 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Have a read of the first post on this thread:

Thanks Rusty and very useful.  Conclusion i am almost correct but double glazing seems more likely.

Funny thing is we live in cornwall and we use the same or similar methods in out house along with a dehumidifier.  

Again thank you.

• Happy 1

15 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Incidentally, I have often wondered if it is worth investing in one of these, but have always been too tight to part with the money.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kärcher-windows-cleaning-efficient-reliable/dp/B01N9IFRU3/ref=pd_sbs_60_t_2/257-3198673-0439838

811JJYgTghL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I have similar- WV50 I think.  Use it every morning to clear the glass (which it leaves practically dry) with a cloth to wipe the frame.

try and get one with the rubber plug on the top of the bottle, easier to empty.

• Happy 1

12 hours ago, WotEver said:

Lidl (or is it Aldi?) often have a cheap copy in the centre aisle. No idea if it’s as good as the real thing. 

More than likely better! I have had 2 under warranty and then just took the money back. 

14 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

I have double glazing on my boat. It was very expensive and I certainly wouldn't bother if  I were you. Other opinions are out there. 

Whereas I have double glazing and think its worth every penny, Steve Ellis was saying that he is fitting it to all his boats as the difference in cost for him isn't worth the bother  but customer's preference is for double glazing