Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
mark99

Rover - Old Cars

Featured Posts

I must admit I always loved these.

I used to have a P6 3.5 but the P5 Coupe V8 was my favourite.

Capture.JPG

Capture.JPG

Edited by mark99

My desire at present is to own a P3. Bootiful. Well it’s one of my desires. There are many.

I did many many miles in a Rover 620 years ago. It had the Honda engine. Never ever let me down. Sold it to buy an Omega 2.5 straight six diesel. BMW engine. (Chipped also).That was a goodun also.

18 minutes ago, mark99 said:

Capture.JPG

Capture.JPG

The Admiralty had a number of P5’5 and 6’s. Black of course. Lovely run arounds 🤔

First car was a '66 P6 2 litre in '89. The seatbelts weren't inertia, they were made by Irvine/g air chute, unclip to lean forward, and the Speedo was a linear guage. It had shed loads of grunt though. Great car. Couple of lovely P5Bs round here

27 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

My desire at present is to own a P3. Bootiful. Well it’s one of my desires. There are many.

The Admiralty had a number of P5’5 and 6’s. Black of course. Lovely run arounds 🤔

My first boss had a P5 coupe. To run one today you need your own private oil well!

7 minutes ago, BilgePump said:

First car was a '66 P6 2 litre in '89. The seatbelts weren't inertia, they were made by Irvine/g air chute, unclip to lean forward, and the Speedo was a linear guage. It had shed loads of grunt though. Great car. Couple of lovely P5Bs round here

Good car but they did suffer with a bit of clutch drag.

1 hour ago, Nightwatch said:

I did many many miles in a Rover 620 years ago. It had the Honda engine. Never ever let me down. Sold it to buy an Omega 2.5 straight six diesel. BMW engine. (Chipped also).That was a goodun also.

Ive had P3 P4  P5B and P6 all cracking motors. The coupe pictured here is in fact a P5B.

2 minutes ago, mark99 said:

My old P6 auto 3.5 used to do 18 to the gallon.

My V12 E type and Daimler double six did 12 to the gallon lol.

1 hour ago, Nightwatch said:

I did many many miles in a Rover 620 years ago. It had the Honda engine. Never ever let me down. .

🤔

We inherited my late FIL's Rover 620, Honda engine was brilliant, totally reliable and get the revs up and it would fly. 

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, mark99 said:

The P5 Coupe or P5 Saloon were great cars.  I have a soft spot for the Pre war P12/P2 and post war P3 as a neighbour when I was a boy had a late 40s P2 Sports Saloon and it was superb with residual running boards, big headlights  and a fantastic interior.  He sold that and had a Triumph Renown which was equally swish and something of a poor mans rolls.

1 hour ago, Machpoint005 said:

My first boss had a P5 coupe. To run one today you need your own private oil well!

I used to get a steady 20 mpg out of mine, that was only the engine however, transplanted into something else! A lovely unit with its high compression, a remnant from the time you could buy 5 star petrol. Only let down by the rope seal on the crankshaft. 

18 minutes ago, churchward said:

Triumph Renown which was equally swish and something of a poor mans rolls.

Was that the one known as the "Razor Edge"? Or was that the Mayflower? I remember a friend of Dad's having one when I was a boy.

26 minutes ago, Athy said:

Was that the one known as the "Razor Edge"? Or was that the Mayflower? I remember a friend of Dad's having one when I was a boy.

Both model names applied, IIRC.

I had a Rover 418SLD years ago. L173 AFP. Peugeot diesel. That was a really good, comfortable motor. 

Almost bought a 1994 sterling with the Honda engine about ten years ago but was not big enough for a tall person so I bought the Saab 9000 aero the same bloke was selling for same money. 

The Sterling (H reg old school looked like a rozzer car) was a pretty cool car but quite likely nothing like as good as the Saab. 

Edited by magnetman

29 minutes ago, Athy said:

They both had the "razor edge" styling one was a large saloon the other the Mayflower the smaller family car.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triumph_Mayflower

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triumph_Renown

20 minutes ago, churchward said:

They both had the "razor edge" styling one was a large saloon the other the Mayflower the smaller family car.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triumph_Mayflower

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triumph_Renown

That's it, I remember now, thanks. Dad's friend had a Renown. The Mayflower, though sharp-edged , was rather dumpy. Dad almost bought one as his first car but ended up with the first of several Hillman Minxes instead.

I have currently in my possession a P4 110 stunning beastie in black with a new tan leather interior, has an electric power steering conversion on it to make it driveable overdrive gearbox to make cruising at 70 comfy. I really like rovers proper cars

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, peterboat said:

I have currently in my possession a P4 110 stunning beastie in black with a new tan leather interior, has an electric power steering conversion on it to make it driveable overdrive gearbox to make cruising at 70 comfy. I really like rovers proper cars

Photos needed!  ;)

2 minutes ago, peterboat said:

Nice!😎

11 minutes ago, peterboat said:

My missus had the 100 as her classic until we sold off our classics. She's 8 stone wet through and didn't need power steering you whimp. They are a tad heavy though. 

7 minutes ago, peterboat said:

I used to own a P4 90, lovely car, I remember it having a really nice gear change despite the long ungainly gearstick, synchromesh coped with really fast changes, freewheel was an oddity. Only downside was 21mpg on a long run and 17 local

When I was a kid I used to do a "milk round" for a couple of years in quite an affluent London suburb called Pinner. (I recall getting 50p then 70 new pence per day wages).

Anyway. Walking up the posher driveways, milk in hand, I used to daydream re the cars on the drive.

Scimitars

Any Jag or Daimler 4.2

Jenson Interceptor

Rovers P5

E type (rare)

Bentley

5 minutes ago, Ray T said:

The Man who Haunted Himself starring Roger Moore had a P6 in the film.

http://www.britishhorrorfilms.co.uk/manwhohauntedhimself.shtml

P5 Ray?

Just now, mark99 said:

When I was a kid I used to do a "milk round" for a couple of years in quite an affluent London suburb called Pinner. (I recall getting 50p then 70 new pence per day wages).

Anyway. Walking up the posher driveways, milk in hand, I used to daydream re the cars on the drive.

Scimitars

Any Jag or Daimler 4.2

Jenson Interceptor

Rovers P5

E type (rare)

Bentley

P5 Ray?

Ah, thank you, I was too frightened by the film, at the time, to notice which model it was.

This was my Rover 12, taken in 1971 when I was driving round the pre-war Donnington track, which is somewhat different today.

1971 Donnington 102.jpg

• Greenie 2

6 minutes ago, Ray T said:

Ah, thank you, I was too frightened by the film, at the time, to notice which model it was.

I watched the film recently. Roger Moore put in a good performance.