ditchcrawler

Featured Posts

£197 + £12 per foot.

62ft = £941

72ft = 1061

This seems to include the hire of the dry dock for 5 or 6 days, which is:

£257 + £49 per day

6 days = £551

Given that you have to get a boat out of the water to black it, the blacking part of the above prices is roughly £550, or roughly £8 per foot.

I guess you can get a boat out of the water for less than £551.... Dutton Dry Dock will probably be available again soon, and Hesfords is not far away.

After the demise of Claymoore Navigation, the lease of Dutton Dry Dock has been taken over, so I guess it's a case of watch this space.

What with Dutton, Runcorn, Northwich and now Middlewich theres no shortage of dry docks in the area.

One negative point is that the option to moor there overnight rather than the horribly noisy visitor moorings will disappear... ?

[yes of course other moorings are available further down the locks, but the wharf was convenient for the long day to Harding's Wood]

1 hour ago, IanD said:

One negative point is that the option to moor there overnight rather than the horribly noisy visitor moorings will disappear... ?

[yes of course other moorings are available further down the locks, but the wharf was convenient for the long day to Harding's Wood]

What about the bit of towpath beyond the wharf.  I always wondered if bagging this by Middlewich narrowboats was entirely legitimate.

Hi one and all

We are the guys that are taking on the lease at the wharf. 

We've looked to price a "proper job" rather than a quick in and out without adequate drying time on the dry dock. 

Having done a research on prices we felt the offer competitive especially after having our own fleet blacked regularly.

But open to feedback so thank you for the commentary above we will reflect upon it.

Will be great to bring the site back into full use and we very much look forward to taking on the challenge.

If your passing after we get on site do pop in and say hi! 

Paul & Sam

Middlewich Wharf & Floating Holidays

Middlewichwharf.Co.Uk 

Floating-holidays.co.uk 

• Greenie 1

9 hours ago, Paul&Sam said:

Hi one and all

We've looked to price a "proper job" rather than a quick in and out without adequate drying time on the dry dock. 

Having done a research on prices we felt the offer competitive especially after having our own fleet blacked regularly.

But open to feedback so thank you for the commentary above we will reflect upon it.

Will be great to bring the site back into full use and we very much look forward to taking on the challenge.

Paul & Sam

Middlewichwharf.Co.Uk 

Floating-holidays.co.uk 

I wish you good luck on your new venture.

For what it's worth, the figures I stated above may be based on the fact that there are a number of competing firms within a few hours cruising of Braunston so that will naturally keep prices competitive.

On 01/02/2020 at 14:16, Liam said:

After the demise of Claymoore Navigation, the lease of Dutton Dry Dock has been taken over, so I guess it's a case of watch this space.

What with Dutton, Runcorn, Northwich and now Middlewich theres no shortage of dry docks in the area.

We fell in love with Dutton but couldn't in our mind work out the logistical issues of parking, power and fresh water whilst making it a viable option. It's an absolutely gorgeous spot though. 

4 minutes ago, Paul&Sam said:

We fell in love with Dutton but couldn't in our mind work out the logistical issues of parking, power and fresh water whilst making it a viable option. It's an absolutely gorgeous spot though. 

Indeed. The previous tennant had the advantage of living in the house opposite.

Just now, David Mack said:

I hadn't realised there had been somebody else since Tim. The place always looked rundown and unused when I have come past.

Claymore had it between Tim and now. They went out of business spring 2019 and it hasn't been occupied since but is due to be re-occupied soon although I don't know the new tenants. 

22 hours ago, Paul&Sam said:

Hi one and all

Paul & Sam

Middlewichwharf.Co.Uk 

Floating-holidays.co.uk 

From all of us at Langley Mill Boatyard we wish you luck with your new venture. 

12 minutes ago, David Mack said:

I hadn't realised there had been somebody else since Tim. The place always looked rundown and unused when I have come past.

Yes, after Tim's unfortunate passing, it went through the tender process. There seemed to be a lot of applications (myself being one) but ultimately Claymoore won out. I think they mainly got it to service their own boats as all the times I passed, I've only ever seen about three private boats using it. It was always empty with the dock full of water.

After Claymoore's demise it went back through the tender process. I think there was alot of interest again (I wasn't involved this time), and it has now gone to a partnership (in a business sense).

Edited to add - interestingly, the original Claymoore Navigation site at Preston Brook Wharf has also been taken over. But this must have been arranged privately as it is the Bridgewater Canal and not owned by CRT.

Edited by Liam